BANGKOK
X4711

Who will pay for water damage in condo?

A water pipe belonging to the common property broke and the water damaged the floor in my condo. Does anybody know who will be responsible for fixing and for paying the floor of my condo according to Thai law?

• Confused 2

Check your insurance policy to begin with, the juristic person should be able to tell you where the resposnsibilty lay. I would seek professional advice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Check your insurance policy to begin with, the juristic person should be able to tell you where the resposnsibilty lay. I would seek professional advice.

I know the laws in Germany for instance. Sadly I can't read Thai and so it is not easy to find out how this is in Thailand. But perhaps somebody had such a problem already and can share his experience. 

• Like 1

Has the condo already confirmed to you that the pipe is not associated with another unit? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Has the condo already confirmed to you that the pipe is not associated with another unit? 

Yes. The pipe is common property. 

47 minutes ago, X4711 said:

A water pipe belonging to the common property broke and the water damaged the floor in my condo. Does anybody know who will be responsible for fixing and for paying the floor of my condo according to Thai law?

What did the Juristic Person say when you asked them that question?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So far they fixed the pipe only. We didn't discuss the problem of my condo yet. But it will happen the next days. Before I talk to them I would like to have some legal knowledge. This can make the discussion much easier. If by law I will have to pay for the damage in my condo then there is not much to discuss. 

43 minutes ago, X4711 said:

I know the laws in Germany for instance. Sadly I can't read Thai and so it is not easy to find out how this is in Thailand. But perhaps somebody had such a problem already and can share his experience. 

Just ask... they will know what is going to happen or not... probably many buildings have different bylaws and you can find out what is the case for your specific building... I wouldn't worry so much about what happens in Germany... 

1 hour ago, X4711 said:

You can read the act in english but its not that specific as to who pays for what damage etc. 

https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/new-thailand-condominium-act-2008.html#9

Its probably more covered under the general civil and commercial act. If me or my property damages you or your property, I would be liable. My experience with a similar situation is the repair was done from condo fees, covered by the condo block insurance etc.  A burst water pipe (main downpipe from roof) burst and completely trashed a condo in my block and condo office paid for the repairs, new kitchen, wallpaper, curtains etc.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, X4711 said:
32 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So far they fixed the pipe only. We didn't discuss the problem of my condo yet. But it will happen the next days. Before I talk to them I would like to have some legal knowledge. This can make the discussion much easier. If by law I will have to pay for the damage in my condo then there is not much to discuss. 

Sorry, but you will only get credible 'legal knowledge' from a lawyer, not Thaivisa posters.   That's just the way it is. 

If you're not the owner of the condo, take a look at your lease, that might answer the question.

1 hour ago, X4711 said:

Does anybody know who will be responsible for fixing and for paying the floor of my condo according to Thai law?

take all your condo paperwork to a Thai attorney ASAP and get sound legal advice before you talk to condo association.  If it is a common area pipe then you are asking the people responsible for the damage who is responsible for the damage. Never do that in Thailand. Know your rights and start every sentence with "My attorney said..." 

water damage can be extensive and take months to show up.  

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Here is a thick person's question:

What is a juristic person and how do you know who that person might be?

I have rented in Thailand before but luckily didn't have any issues, if someone could clarify this then maybe a lot of people could benefit.

Thai law will likely not protect you in this case.  To be sure condo owners and mgmt will try to stick you with the bill...

Be prepared to pay...

• Thanks 1