Jump to content
BANGKOK
n210mp

Wanted NAS hard drives

Recommended Posts

Can anyone suggest the cheapest places to buy 3/4TB NAS hard drives please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy them here for a decent price:

https://www.jetcom.co.th/HARDDISK/HARDDISK-Internal-jet-/HDD-สำหรับ-NAS-STORAGE-35

 

Personally I wouldn't look for the cheapest place but a reliable place with good prices.

Because whatever data you will have on that NAS are probably worth more than a few hundred baht to you.

Buy quality, that's better than thinking two years later you should have paid a little more. 😉 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always buy from Lazada.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy them in an enclosure and rip them out.

My NAS allows me to plug them in as USB drives if I prefer.

 

3k for 4TB

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-black-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040bbk-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i522014547-s929950452.html

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4-tb-hdd-wd-blue-5400rpm-sata3-wd40ezrz-pansonics-i365804206-s795618155.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always buy from Lazada.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy them in an enclosure and rip them out.

My NAS allows me to plug them in as USB drives if I prefer.

 

3k for 4TB

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-black-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040bbk-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i522014547-s929950452.html

Hi BMT and thanks for the link, also thanks to OMF for his advice.

 

I know that my recent purchase of a Synology 418J NAS can accept 2.5 HDD but is the WD Passport HDD a NAS type ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, n210mp said:

Hi BMT and thanks for the link, also thanks to OMF for his advice.

 

I know that my recent purchase of a Synology 418J NAS can accept 2.5 HDD but is the WD Passport HDD a NAS type ?

I've never felt it mattered, never had a PC drive fail in a NAS, and I've been running some of mine for 10 years.

They all have a 3 year warranty.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've never felt it mattered, never had PC one fail in a NAS, and I've been running them for 10 years.

 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've never felt it mattered, never had PC one fail in a NAS, and I've been running them for 10 years.

Well it certainly is worth considering,  I could save about 1500 Baht per 4Tb  Drive with prices compared deals from  ADvice if I went the WD Passport  way.

In any event the WD passport HDD  from a moving about scenario must take an awful lot of shaking, vibration etc that won't be happening in a NAS enclosure tucked away in a quiet corner. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always buy from Lazada.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy them in an enclosure and rip them out.

My NAS allows me to plug them in as USB drives if I prefer.

 

3k for 4TB

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-black-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040bbk-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i522014547-s929950452.html

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4-tb-hdd-wd-blue-5400rpm-sata3-wd40ezrz-pansonics-i365804206-s795618155.html

I agree its often cheaper to buy in the enclosure but its not always clear what color/quality WD drive in inside, its usually a red/blue one (5400rpm) not a black one (7200rpm, 64MB cache). The black one can run twice the price.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, n210mp said:

Hi BMT and thanks for the link, also thanks to OMF for his advice.

 

I know that my recent purchase of a Synology 418J NAS can accept 2.5 HDD but is the WD Passport HDD a NAS type ?

Any drive will work in a NAS, it just depends how much you want to spend for speed/reliability etc, WD has different colors to represent higher speed, reliability etc , red, blue, purple, black (the best). I think red/purple is the model they make with different specs specifically for NAS

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I always buy from Lazada.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy them in an enclosure and rip them out.

My NAS allows me to plug them in as USB drives if I prefer.

 

3k for 4TB

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-black-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040bbk-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i522014547-s929950452.html

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4-tb-hdd-wd-blue-5400rpm-sata3-wd40ezrz-pansonics-i365804206-s795618155.html

 

I've always found that the drives I ripped out of an enclosure are the cheapest style, and not the ones recommended for NAS use.  I forget the WD nomenclature, but I think they were the black ones, and the red ones are recommended for NAS.  (or was it the opposite, and what is purple all about?) That said, failures were pretty random, but far more often than the manufacturer's claims.  Especially during the hard drive panic of 2011 when the factories flooded.  I got 3 or 4 lemons in a row that year.

 

 

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, impulse said:

 

I've always found that the drives I ripped out of an enclosure are the cheapest style, and not the ones recommended for NAS use.  I forget the WD nomenclature, but I think they were the black ones, and the red ones are recommended for NAS.  (or was it the opposite, and what is purple all about?) That said, failures were pretty random, but far more often than the manufacturer's claims.  Especially during the hard drive panic of 2011 when the factories flooded.  I got 3 or 4 lemons in a row that year.

 

 

Me too, but I've had no failures at all since then.

And the drives that did fail seemed to be the ones with intermittent use, rather than the ones on 24/7.

My pet theory was the bearings corroded (or the lubrication dried out) when not used, then failed.

 

As for the different colours/prices, purely a marketing gimmick IMHO.

If there were essential differences, they would give significantly longer warranties on the more expensive drives.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

WD has different colors to represent higher speed, reliability etc , red, blue, purple, black (the best)

There is no such thing as the best.

There is such thing as the fastest, and that is the black one.

The red is optimized for RAID, others are about energy consumption, etc.

I agree often they are interchangeable but there are differences.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is no such thing as the best.

There is such thing as the fastest, and that is the black one.

The red is optimized for RAID, others are about energy consumption, etc.

I agree often they are interchangeable but there are differences.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/

Thanks for all the great info, it looks then as though I will be going for the WD Passport 2.5 disc 

3k Baht  for 4TB

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-black-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040bbk-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i522014547-s929950452.html

From the link sent by BMT

 

One final question before I take the plunge and buy 4 from Laz, is there any problem with a 2.5 HDD against a 3.5 HDD?

 

PS just found this and your views would be welcome  the Toshiba   4Tb X300 

 

  https://shopee.co.th/4-0-TB-HDD--ฮาร์ดดิสก์--TOSHIBA-X300-7200rpm-3-5--128MB-SATA-III--HDWE140UZSVA----H----รับประกัน-3-ปี-i.43263481.7800730919?gclid=CjwKCAiApOvwBRBUEiwAcZGdGAP1l2dzDewhIGDRNuL-muXQhyGKjT4qIFcwTk1c-1s3Apriu1plbhoCMx4QAvD_BwE

 

Edited by n210mp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, n210mp said:

Thanks for all the great info, it looks then as though I will be going for the WD Passport 2.5 disc 

3k Baht  for 4TB

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-black-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040bbk-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i522014547-s929950452.html

From the link sent by BMT

 

One final question before I take the plunge and buy 4 from Laz, is there any problem with a 2.5 HDD against a 3.5 HDD?

 

2.5 HDD are slower and have less capacity. (both are sacrificed to make them smaller to fit inside a laptop). If $ per TB is your main criteria then 2.5 would be fine, for speed or larger capacity or reliability, a 3.5 drive would be better. Be careful buying 2.5 inch external drives as they can sometimes have 2x2tb drives inside to get the 4tb capacity ( or the drive will actually have 2 platters of 2tbb each).  The physicial capacity limit of a 2.5 inch platter is 2TB, so there is either 2 drives or a drive with 2 platters inside it, ultimately having 2 times more chance of failure.

 

Not sure if available in Thailand but I would be looking at something like this

 

https://www.adorama.com/wd4003ffbxh2.html

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, n210mp said:

is there any problem with a 2.5 HDD against a 3.5 HDD

2.5" are a lot slower than 3.5". And I guess they will also get hotter because of the smaller size.

If you can use 3.5" or 2.5" then definitely buy 3.5" for lots of reasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...