Minimise outdoor activities, say authorities, as air quality continues to be unsafe in many areas

webfact

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

So the government does zero to minimise the issue. The people have to suffer by staying indoors and then they have to become amateur scientists and monitor AQI. Why have a government?

The people will hide in the malls now which brings in loads of cash$$$....billions of it! so it's okay krub.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

What makes the air INSIDE my home any better than that OUTSIDE please?

well i don't know about in your area but in mine (hua hin) the air is significantly better in the afternoons than at night (cheeky buggers light their fields at night around here almost like they know they are doing something bad..) as onshore winds blow a lot of it away in the afternoons.

so closing up the house around 6'ish and keeping the air cons off is a big help over night.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Markus Rider said:

Thats greater Chiang Mai now..... and burning has not even started.... pack your bags and leave.....forever !!!!

FireShot Capture 021 - Hang Dong Hospital, Thailand Air Pollution_ Real-time Air Quality Ind_ - aqicn.org.jpg

yeah they just squeezed back into the top 10 most polluted cities. maybe now is the time to plan that spring exodus CM guys?

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

What makes the air INSIDE my home any better than that OUTSIDE please?

The air inside likely isn't any better than outside....

But what they mean when they make stupid statements like that is, if you stay inside, you're not likely to be physically exerting yourself and breathing harder compared to if you're hoofing around outside... Thus breathing in less pollution by breathing lightly at home.  Not that breathing lightly bad air is very good either....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Among the area where the reading exceeded safe levels were: Kanchanaphisek Road and Din Daeng Road, Muang district in Nakhon Pathom province, Pak Kret in Nonthaburi province, Phra Pradaeng and Pak Nam in Samut Prakan province, Krathum Baen and Muang in Samut Sakhon.

We had a reprieve this morning.... it peed down with rain.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The authority has suggested that people avoid outdoor activities ............

This message must be conveyed to the pro-Government runners ! (Bless their little lungs).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheshiremusicman said:

This is in reference to the question about 'the difference between inside and outside air qualities'

It doesn't. I did some research with a friend and the strange thing was that we found evidence that the air quality inside your property was normally much worse than outside. I know this sounds very strange, but it seems to be true based on the fact that there is less air circulation inside than outside. The smallest particulates 'pm2.5' are the most injurious to health in the long-term as they get trapped in your lungs and lodge there. Only a HEPA filter will trap these very small particulates. I understand that 3M sell a certified HEPA facemask that one can buy.

Cleaning materials and many other products we routinely have in our homes are potentially hazardous to health and can make the air in your living room or bedroom worse than that outside. An air purifier with a HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filter will trap a lot, but not all, of the potentially harmful stuff.

https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/indoor/indoor-air-pollutants/cleaning-supplies-household-chem.html

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Minimise outdoor activities, say authorities, as air quality continues to be unsafe in many areas

Okay, time to stuff yourself full with cheetos, cookies and netflix all day. It's the government's fault if we become obese as F*********

I am very surprised that our great leader General Prayuth has not yet thought about it:

"We should build cities in the countryside because the air is cleaner there!" :jap:

Alphonse Allais was a French journalist, writer and humorist (October 20, 1854 - October 28, 1905). Famous in the Belle Époque, known for its acerbic pen and absurd humor.

• Like 1

The dearth of Thai government air quality measuring sites south of Bangkok reflects the apathy of sucessive administrations towards a problem which is getting out of hand.

There needs to be a lot more monitoring, along with a nation-wide emergency plan to combat the causes of air pollution. Otherwise thousands of Thais will continue to die each year through breathing toxic air and international tourism will take an even bigger hit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

So what do they think that the air is better inside? If one doesn't have a 100% closed in house with the Air 100% filtered it makes No difference if one outside or inside.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Yes it will.  Burning your trash or crops has serious effects on the health of children. How many chuldren end up in hospital every year? Burning is a crime, and the only way to clear up your skies is to stop this madness. Fine them, take their lands, put them in jail. People learn fast.

Until the useless govt starts providing trash pickup throughout the country most of the people don't have any other way to get rid of their trash. Maybe someone can issue a royal decree demanding trash pickup service

• Like 2

someone told me that the Thai's have planted corn to convert into ethanol and thus burning the stalks.  i did not know this.  the government must subsidize these farmers with modern equipment so that they can plow under rather than burn.. more submarines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Fine them, take their lands, put them in jail. People learn fast.

No they won't. Only way they will stop is when the villages near the burning fields are carpet bombed to the ground. Thailand needs corporal punishment. Start with caning like they did down in SG.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1