Minimise outdoor activities, say authorities, as air quality continues to be unsafe in many areas

webfact

45 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Well that takes care of next year's high season.  There will be no returning tourists.

If military coups, tanks on the streets, floods and a tsunami didn't stop them coming, I doubt a few weeks of unhealthy air is going to make much difference!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If military coups, tanks on the streets, floods and a tsunami didn't stop them coming, I doubt a few weeks of unhealthy air is going to make much difference!

It's more like months and months of unhealthy air, here in Chiang Mai at least.

I work in tourism and longstayers are cutting their stays short and leaving. 

It's happening here, Chiang Mai is dying. A high season ruined by air pollution will be the final straw, especially if the "normal" smoky season is as bad, or worse, than last years.

I'm also working towards an exit. Don't want to pay the price later in life, I'm 40 years old.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

It's happening here, Chiang Mai is dying. A high season ruined by air pollution will be the final straw, especially if the "normal" smoky season is as bad, or worse, than last years.

I'm also working towards an exit. Don't want to pay the price later in life, I'm 40 years old.

Chiang Mai does seem to get the worst of it.  My comment was really in relation to Thailand's tourism as a whole.

Everything is said, nothing is done. - Only words.

' The air quality in the North varied from very good to unsafe for health. PM2.5 averaged 17-88mcg per cubic metre in over 50 areas in Lampang, Lamphun, and Phrae provinces. '

Today Jan 15:

image.png.c84fc4a9176de2996489afcc7edaff4b.png Phrae 8:00  PM2.5 171  -  aqicn.org

But to be fair:

image.png.f991e6e4055fd55bf20ccf5a84add811.png  image.png.67f56ebd43559750e341d5bf5e8c2610.png

berkeleyearth.org

• Like 1

I have a great idea. Instead of you encouraging people to avoid going outdoors, because of the airpocalype that you, and your astonishingly incompetent administration have helped to create, and are doing nothing to prevent, how about if you increase your activity on behalf of the Thai people, and the ex-pats living here? How about some pro-active activity for a change?

A few suggestions:

1. Govern the nation fairly. Stop protecting the elite, the crooked cops, and those in power, at all costs. 

2. Govern effectively. Learn how to run an economy. 

3. Start appointing people based on merit and not cronyism. 

4. Allow political demonstrations as all democracies do. You claim to be a democracy. Right?

5. Stop hassling rival parties who are popular with the people. You are despised and disliked. Of course the rivals are popular. 

6. Engage in proactive policy, to tackle the heinous pollution issues, and allow people to lead healthy lives, through smart and forward leaning policy.

7. Tackle water management, and the development of alternative energy. 

8. Establish an exit plan. The people do not like, or respect the army. They are utterly useless. 

9. Abolish the antiquated luxury taxes on products and imported wine. Allow your economy to grow without draconian limitations. You would then be able to attract the wealthy tourists you claim to be seeking. And please stop decimating the tourism sector with your incessant ranting about the evils of Westerners and your inane immigration policy. 

10. Start building the nation. You are moving it backwards at an astonishing pace through your hubris and incompetence. 

Shall I go on? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I have a great idea. Instead of you encouraging people to avoid going outdoors, because of the airpocalype that you, and your astonishingly incompetent administration have helped to create, and are doing nothing to prevent, how about if you increase your activity on behalf of the Thai people, and the ex-pats living here? How about some pro-active activity for a change?

A few suggestions:

1. Govern the nation fairly. Stop protecting the elite, the crooked cops, and those in power, at all costs. 

2. Govern effectively. Learn how to run an economy. 

3. Start appointing people based on merit and not cronyism. 

4. Allow political demonstrations as all democracies do. You claim to be a democracy. Right?

5. Stop hassling rival parties who are popular with the people. You are despised and disliked. Of course the rivals are popular. 

6. Engage in proactive policy, to tackle the heinous pollution issues, and allow people to lead healthy lives, through smart and forward leaning policy.

7. Tackle water management, and the development of alternative energy. 

8. Establish an exit plan. The people do not like, or respect the army. They are utterly useless. 

9. Abolish the antiquated luxury taxes on products and imported wine. Allow your economy to grow without draconian limitations. You would then be able to attract the wealthy tourists you claim to be seeking. And please stop decimating the tourism sector with your incessant ranting about the evils of Westerners and your inane immigration policy. 

10. Start building the nation. You are moving it backwards at an astonishing pace through your hubris and incompetence. 

Shall I go on? 

No. You can awaken now but try to stay indoors. ????

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Haha 2

On 1/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

We use air purifiers at home, wear a mask when outside and just deal with it.  Like people in cities all over Asia.  At least it's relatively seasonal here and rarely reaches "hazardous" levels.  

anything over 10 AQI is unsafe, even by thai standards (very lax) it has been hitting hazardous up north recently... 240 AQI yesterday

• Thanks 1

Was told  by head  of  village  no  burning allowed  round by me a  few  months  back........ theyre  still at it, we didnt we  mashed up our pineapples and ploughed them back in..cost 

more money to do it............baaaan fallang have to  follow  lule  of Thailand..........everyone else."do what you want"

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2020 at 9:45 AM, Bassosa said:

I’m afraid that next years ‘smokey season’ will be worse than this year and worse the year after that and so on until the people assigned to handle the situation actually DO something. 

• Sad 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:39 AM, Dimple said:

I’m afraid that next years ‘smokey season’ will be worse than this year and worse the year after that and so on until the people assigned to handle the situation actually DO something. 

They ain't they're just going to keep buying submarines

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 2:57 PM, thaipod said:

Why don’t they make burning crops, polluted vehicles, factories releasing toxic fumes into the environment etc etc a very serious crime with huge fines and imprisonment to start with. 

Phetchabun Province,

880_n.jpg

8272_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1