Thai-English Dictionary as Good as Haas, But Newer (and More Comprehensive)?

SnakeheadAngler

Hi again everybody,

Seems I am on a roll today with all the questions I'm submitting to this forum!  Forgive me, but I just joined and these questions have been on my mind for a long time.  This particular post concerns what Thai-->English dictionary you would suggest for a person who has used and loved the Thai Student's Dictionary by Mary M. Haas for many years, but who finds it increasingly dated and incomplete.  Please note that I am NOT looking for a pocket dictionary, a traveller's phrase book, a beginner's dictionary, or the like.  I seek a competent desktop reference to assist me as I read works of Thai literature, watch Thai videos, etc.  Transliteration into Romanized Thai is desirable, though not an absolute requirement, as Thai is a very regular language and I am familiar with its phonetic rules.

Thanks!

I find the RID which you asked for to be enough.  English is too restrictive in my opinion.   

For example. บันทึกประจำวัน verb adverb, Make a written record daily, also noun adjective- diary 

I think you can not say that it means diary unless the context is clear, a ลักษณนาม - บันถึกประจำวันเล่มนี้ or it has to be the object of a verb เอาบัถึกประจำวันมาให้ to make that a noun.  Could be a journal, could be any record of events, could be the ขั้นตอน of digging up the road from my ประกาศ topic. 

I prefer this approach because English is soon forgotten in favour of Thai the character of which is described as an Isolating Language. 

These thoughts are my faltering steps to self study and subject to constant modification as I learn or rather discover more.  

I use Talking Thai <> English Dictionary + Phrasebook from Paiboon Publishing exclusively, mostly on my iPad. Real person pronunciation and easy to search. I put of the transliteration as I force myself to read Thai. Now and then I get a slang word that is not in it but very seldom. Well worth the price I paid for it.

15 hours ago, Nokawou said:

I use Talking Thai <> English Dictionary + Phrasebook from Paiboon Publishing exclusively, mostly on my iPad. Real person pronunciation and easy to search. I put of the transliteration as I force myself to read Thai. Now and then I get a slang word that is not in it but very seldom. Well worth the price I paid for it.

I agree!