7 Industries That Will Be Taken Over by AI and Robots - Will any of these affect Thailand?

Hal65

https://datafloq.com/read/7-industries-taken-over-ai-robots/4128

The ones on the forefront according to the article are:

1. Transportation
  2. Manufacturing
  3. Shipping/Packing
  4. Customer Service
  5. Finance
  6. Healthcare
  7. Agriculture

Do you guys think Thailand will be affected by this?

I think if there won't be many direct effects due to low need for job replacing automation, effects may still be felt particularly from China's implementation of these technologies. Whether good or bad I don't know.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:
1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Well if AI can do a better job, let them.

I hope you don't have children. It is their children that will suffer when all jobs can be done by machines.

Did you know that in the US, something like 50% of all jobs 100 yrs ago was in agriculture.  Now it's less than 1%, yet that industry is much more productive now than it was then.  That's called progress.  Think Star Trek, humans will be allowed to do what they want to do instead of what they have to do.  Nevermind my own kids, it makes me wish I was young again. 

• Like 2

Here is just one example.  This is the check in at the airport in Singapore. You insert your passport.  The machines camera verifies it is you through facial recognition.  The passport is used to find your flight which you confirm.  The machine then prints your boarding pass and luggage tags.  You place luggage on conveyor and it weighs your luggage.  Not a single human until you get to security. 

IMG_7073.JPG

• Like 2

I agree with most of the comments above. 

AI is a fad... a lot of talking and not much to show. 

Self-driving cars? Still nowhere to be seen, and not for anytime soon. 

The problem at the very base of AI is that those who try to make it work don't understand what is intelligence. 

They believe that human behavior can be translated into algorithms, as a suite of choices... leaving aside a whole lot of inputs that can never be "understood" by a computer. 

Agriculture... how does a robot taste a fruit to decide if it is ripe? 

Transportation... how does a robot react being stuck behind a tractor, that should not be on the road in the first place, when there is a long yellow line forbidding to overtake it? 

Finance... it is already almost fully automated... more than 80% of the trading... algorithms have been designed to be bullish, so they buy, ignoring all the historical precedents, which they don't know anything about, until this is all going to blow up sky high... 

Customer service... this has long disappeared, probably because of these stupid answering machines... 

I am not worried about artificial intelligence taking over, but rather about human intelligence tanking... 

AI is so muc more than robots. It will overwhelm us in the next twenty years. Tesla has self driving cars for quite a while now and very good at what they do.

However, consider getting into an accident, what does AI decide? Hit a lamppost and kill you but not hit five school children as an alternative?  AI decides that you must be saved, but a couple of the schoolkids are yours or your grandkids. Gets interesting doesn't it?

I read recently (maybe Musk or Gates) said that when AI inevitably evolves the relationship between humans and AI will be similar to humans and chimpanzees, except we will be the chimpanzees.

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2020 at 9:47 PM, Brunolem said:

Agriculture... how does a robot taste a fruit to decide if it is ripe? 

LOL, LOL, LOL. Do you honestly think the ripeness of fruit is decided by some human tasting it?

It's decided by science, often by measuring the sugar content.

Some fruit is picked before it ripens as it has to be stored for long periods or shipped, like bananas, which are shipped green, to ripen on the journey.

Transportation... how does a robot react being stuck behind a tractor, that should not be on the road in the first place, when there is a long yellow line forbidding to overtake it? 

I'd imagine the AI would send a message to the highway police that would send a helicopter to move the tractor that should not be on the road off the road. If the tractor was a robot, it wouldn't be on the road in the first place.

They believe that human behavior can be translated into algorithms, as a suite of choices..

Seems to me that many people are already like robots, just not as efficient.

I am not worried about artificial intelligence taking over, but rather about human intelligence tanking..

You're too late. Just look at people in a restaurant all looking at their mind control device. They ain't discussing particle physics.

On 1/15/2020 at 3:09 AM, emptypockets said:

AI is so muc more than robots. It will overwhelm us in the next twenty years. Tesla has self driving cars for quite a while now and very good at what they do.

However, consider getting into an accident, what does AI decide? Hit a lamppost and kill you but not hit five school children as an alternative?  AI decides that you must be saved, but a couple of the schoolkids are yours or your grandkids. Gets interesting doesn't it?

I read recently (maybe Musk or Gates) said that when AI inevitably evolves the relationship between humans and AI will be similar to humans and chimpanzees, except we will be the chimpanzees.

Planet of the Apes, but AI instead of the apes.

On 1/15/2020 at 3:09 AM, emptypockets said:

Either humans decide to stop going down the road to ( inevitable ) domination by AI, or we get dominated. IMO there isn't an either or. As a human I say stop work on AI now, but the people that are controlling everything anticipate getting very, very rich. No prizes for guessing who wins.

Hit a lamppost and kill you but not hit five school children as an alternative? 

The answer will be whatever the machine is programmed to do. Even an AI will be a computer program. Where it gets tricky is who or what programmes the AI. If it's humans it would be the 5 children, but if it's another AI, it might be the owner ie you.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 1/13/2020 at 11:50 AM, Berkshire said:

Did you know that in the US, something like 50% of all jobs 100 yrs ago was in agriculture.  Now it's less than 1%, yet that industry is much more productive now than it was then.  That's called progress.  Think Star Trek, humans will be allowed to do what they want to do instead of what they have to do.  Nevermind my own kids, it makes me wish I was young again. 

or think The Expanse where 40 billion humans scratch around for scraps whilst through a lottery the lucky 1 in 6000 are allowed to have a job..

• Like 1