3BB fibre WiFi and 5G Techs Phones

carlyai

My 3bbspeedtest using my not-so-good Samsung mobile phone always shows around 10 to 30 Mbps download and some breaks in internet service. So I got the nice techs out last week and they promptly replaced the router.

I checked the speed with my mobile phone (right near the router) and it was still around 30 Mbps down. So I showed the tech. and he checked with his phone and it was around 200Mbps. So I was happy that it was my phone at fault (even though I've cleaned it all up and factory reset it.), and the techs departed. 

A few days latter I checked the speed with 3 other devices I have (2 computers and one mobile phone) and they all read about 30Mbps.

So, firing up my remaining brain cell I thought that the tech. had a phone like some of the Bangkok taxis, or he had a 4Glte or 5G phone. I do remember that the 3BB help desk operator (when I complained about the service) mumbled something about a 5G phone is needed for the speed test, but at the time I dismissed the information.

To my question: if I use a 5G phone with my 3BB fibre WiFi will my up and down speeds increase?

Depends where you are testing, as in to where, if he was connecting to a Bangkok or local server it will always be a higher rating than connecting outside the country.

Just an example, to ensure like for like when testing.

Also a wireless will always be different to a cable connection directly in to the router.

Just for info.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Older devices are still using Wifi standard 802.11g which max out at 54 MBps. Newer devices are using Wifi Standard 802.11n which can support max 450 MBps. The best is to test using Ethernet cable.

Yes the best is to test using the Ethernet cable but I think you have hit on my answer with the standards. Thanks.

I don't suppose there's a software update to meet the 802.11n standard, just hardware, like in new device or difficult soldering job ????

On 1/13/2020 at 4:07 AM, carlyai said:

Yes the best is to test using the Ethernet cable but I think you have hit on my answer with the standards. Thanks.

I don't suppose there's a software update to meet the 802.11n standard, just hardware, like in new device or difficult soldering job ????

It can be as simple as slotting in an USB adapter; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600Mbps-Dual-Band-USB-WiFi-Dongle-Wireless-LAN-Adapter-802-11ac-a-b-5Ghz-2-4Ghz/181688348467 

• Thanks 1