'I'm spending all my money to get rid of Trump': Michael Bloomberg

webfact

He's an interesting possibility.  I think his chances really come down to 2 things:

1) Can he convince the "superdelegates" of the Democratic party to give him the nomination. Sanders was by far the better choice in 2016. The Democrats lost because they went with their crony, Clinton. The people were suitably unimpressed.

2) I don't agree with his assessment about "moderate Republicans" being needed. He is just trying to justify his position to Democrats. I think even Sanders would have defeated Trump. The problem is not about political leaning. The problem is people want someone who is going to overturn the status quo. "Change we can believe in" got Obama elected, and that "change" is still a point of laughter everywhere in flyover country when you talk about it.

Obama did nothing to fight the establishment. Ultimately that is what got Trump elected. If you want to beat Trump, you have to be meaner and more disruptive towards the Washington establishment than Trump is. Anyone who can win, is a candidate that the parties don't want to win. It is an interesting situation. Maybe Bloomberg can pull it off, but those superdelegates make pulling a "Trump" style takeover of the Democratic party much more difficult than it was in the Republican party.

The American electorate are angry. You need to put someone up against Trump that people feel will give Washington the finger. That is the candidate who will win. Political philosophy is mattering much less on the ground than perceived allegiances towards the establishment.

I'll watch this one though with cautious optimism. Hope he takes the right attitude. His middle finger is going to need an excercise regime.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, allexx said:

The best president since R. Reagan.

Then you won't support any democrat. It's a given that 45 has a loyal core of at least 35 percent. No point in bothering trying to persuade people that aren't open to being persuaded.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So I disagree with you about what voters want now. They want experience, stability, reasonableness and SANITY as a reaction the horror show of troll chaos from the white house. 

You and I must be interacting with very different Americas.  This is why I maintain the country needs to break apart.  Nobody that I speak to that voted for Trump wants stability and more of the same. Such disparate views can never be reconciled.

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Naw dude, its just the same old urban vs rural, elites vs regulars, Coast vs Heartland, etc. No biggy. The anti Trumpers will get over it as the USA proceeds to move forward. Once 2020 comes and Trump gets relected and the Congress goes Repub, watch how things go gangbusters then.

It is definitely split along the rural/urban lines as you point out, but the divide that exists today is much more serious than in the past. Even Warren Buffet has recognized "pitchforks" in the future if things don't change.  Don't underestimate what is happening here. This is a divide that likely can not be bridged. Nobody is going to come around. It is the kind of divide that I believe will eventually lead to the states calling for a Constitutional Convention that will reshape the entire the country, or more likely, break it apart.

Look how quickly the Soviet Union broke up once the unthinkable became thinkable.  That is where we are headed, and it is because Washington is no longer serving the people of the country. "Stability", as JT wants, is simply accelerating this trajectory.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Monomial said:

It is definitely split along the rural/urban lines as you point out, but the divide that exists today is much more serious than in the past.

I dont agree. I think the divide is smaller than folks think, and its magnified by a political/media class that has a financial interest in stoking the flames. We could go on and on as to why but that would require our own little topic.

However, I think that one of the things that may tell who is right here, either me, the spewing fount of all universal knowledge or you is the upcoming election. A crushing victory by Trump with a Repb congress shows one thing, a loss by Trump shows another, etc. We shall see. ????

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont agree. I think the divide is smaller than folks think, and its magnified by a political/media class that has a financial interest in stoking the flames. We could go on and on as to why but that would require our own little topic.

However, I think that one of the things that may tell who is right here, either me, the spewing fount of all universal knowledge or you is the upcoming election. A crushing victory by Trump with a Repb congress shows one thing, a loss by Trump shows another, etc. We shall see. ????

I guess that means we won't be hearing from you until the election is over.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

That's the folly with every candidate, they always think and convince others they can do better, much better in fact than the other they're trying to replace, and when the get elected, guess what? Oh, we didn't know how big a mess the previous president left us with, so bare with us, will get it right, and they never do...

and that is the same with any politician in any country