Jump to content
BANGKOK
LivingNThailand

Bank Statements Matching Bank Book for Retirement Extension

Recommended Posts

I am starting to think seriously about the bank documents I need for my retirement renewal in March under the new system.  I know there has been a multitude of discussions on this but I am a little confused on a few things and was hoping you could help clarify.  I am using combo method and here are the details.

 

Income:  Social Security into Bangkok Bank on the 4th of the month, withdrawn usually on the 4th.  In and out.  Very Clean.

 

Money in Bank:  Bangkok Bank Saving.  Electricity is automatically paid on the 11th of the month and I put the same amount back in within a few days showing activity.   In and Out.  Very clean.   And with ample amount of money for a cushion.  

 

My questions is about the bank statements.  Bangkok Bank locally can only issue bank statements for 6 months.  For 12 months they need to request from home office and that can take 7-10 days.   

 

#1.  Do I need bank statements for both income and money in the bank accounts? 

 

#2.  Does the balance on the statements need to match the balance on the books and bank letters? 

 

Because it takes so long to get the 12 month statement there will be an overlap with the two accounts.  And if I wait until after the 11th to request statements it's going to be cutting it close to my renewal.  I usually like to renew at least 3 weeks out. 

 

#3.  Is the statement  just to prove I have money coming in and out and doesn't have to match?  

 

#4.  Since the statement comes from Bangkok it won't be in the 7 day period they want the letter?  Is that acceptable?

 

One idea I had was to go to the bank one month early and get an 11 month statement(s) and then go back the day before renewal and get a 1 month statement(s).   

 

#5.  Will a one 11 month statement and another 1 month statement be acceptable to immigration.

 

My immigration office is Phuket and according to the news they are accepting combo method now, after refusing for a few months.   

 

One last thing, I have always updated everything the day before I go to immigration.  I've never been asked to do it the same day as I renew.  I've read that some people have to do everything the same day.   Has this changed?

 

Lots of questions for a simple topic but let's face it, the financials are the most stressful part of the whole ordeal.   I hope everything is clear and thank you in advance for your help.

 

 

 

Edited by LivingNThailand
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wrote:

"One last thing, I have always updated everything the day before I go to immigration.  I've never been asked to do it the same day as I renew.  I've read that some people have to do everything the same day.   Has this changed?"

 

I'll answer your last question first: EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED! ...and, how it has changed depends on your local Immigrations Office's interpretation and enforcement of the rules.

I'm sure you'll get some advice from ThaiVisa members here, and in my opinion, Ubonjoe's advice seems to be the most accurate, BUT...that doesn't mean that's the way your local Immigration Office will handle the transaction.,

I'd advise you get as much information as you can, but then go down to your local Immigrations Office well in advance of the date you need to apply. You can apply for a One Year Extension up to 45 days in advance. Go down at least a month in advance and see what they have to say.

That's the only way I know that you can be sure you're going to meet all their requirements, and even then, probably only 90% sure. 

Edited by billsmart
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

#1.  Do I need bank statements for both income and money in the bank accounts? 

If you have transfers into the country that are 65k per month or more you do do not need any money in the bank on the day you apply. You only need a 12 months bank statement to prove you income.

You bank balance on the day you apply needs to equal to what is shown on the bank letter. If different than the 12 month statement you could get a 1 month bank statement to add to the 12 month one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, billsmart said:

You wrote:

"One last thing, I have always updated everything the day before I go to immigration.  I've never been asked to do it the same day as I renew.  I've read that some people have to do everything the same day.   Has this changed?"

 

I'll answer your last question first: EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED! ...and, how it has changed depends on your local Immigrations Office's interpretation and enforcement of the rules.

I'm sure you'll get some advice from ThaiVisa members here, and in my opinion, Ubonjoe's advice seems to be the most accurate, BUT...that doesn't mean that's the way your local Immigration Office will handle the transaction.,

I'd advise you get as much information as you can, but then go down to your local Immigrations Office well in advance of the date you need to apply. You can apply for a One Year Extension up to 45 days in advance. Go down at least a month in advance and see what they have to say.

That's the only way I know that you can be sure you're going to meet all their requirements, and even then, probably only 90% sure. 

Agree, and i'll add for this year, particularly for the Income route, it is advisable to use a visa agent to smooth the passage and resolve any difficulties at your IMM office. Okay, it's a cost for peace of mind.

I'm doing this today, and if it works, well next year is next year and maybe we'll face a complete new set of rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the statements for the monthly income, but, it seems some offices are asking for 12 mths statements even for the 800k in the bank to prove you have met the 800k 3 mths before & after and no less than 400k for the remaining months before bringing the balance back to 800k 3 mths before the next extension.

What is wrong with a copy of the Bank Book covering the months required and signed by the bank along with the bank letter... talk about making hard work of a simple task.🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have transfers into the country that are 65k per month or more you do do not need any money in the bank on the day you apply. You only need a 12 months bank statement to prove you income.

You bank balance on the day you apply needs to equal to what is shown on the bank letter. If different than the 12 month statement you could get a 1 month bank statement to add to the 12 month one.

UJ - I asked my visa agent regarding the 65k route, and the response was that CM Imm only accept pension as evidence of income, not other income. In my case the baht/pound exchange rate brought my pension less than 1k below 65k, but I have other property CGT income to make up the (annual 7k shortfall) balance.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You bank balance on the day you apply needs to equal to what is shown on the bank letter. If different than the 12 month statement you could get a 1 month bank statement to add to the 12 month one.

I was just at the bank and asked the manager if I could do a 11 month and single month statement.  She said no.  They would only do a 12 month from home office. (??why?? don't ask why)  So this is great advise.  I'll just get the 12 month and if the timing is off and the balances don't match I'll get another one month separate.  It will only cost 100 baht.  Well worth the peace of mind.

 

46 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I'd advise you get as much information as you can, but then go down to your local Immigrations Office well in advance of the date you need to apply

More good advise.   I was going to do that anyway, but wanted to get all my "ducks in a row" so I don't forget anything.   Have a simple list of questions instead of as many as I ask you guys.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For income method :

Is this the Bangkok bank 12 months statement Or different . Please confirm .Do I also need a bank letter in addition to the statement letter, in another words , 2 docs. Thanks

D6AE0F0C-E713-4D17-A8E7-638BC0952E65.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 4:40 PM, Alotoftravel said:

Is this the Bangkok bank 12 months statement Or different . Please confirm .Do I also need a bank letter in addition to the statement letter, in another words , 2 docs. Thanks

That is a standard bank letter.

A bank statement would show every transaction for the 12 months.

Some offices want a letter that lists all transfers into the country. Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a standard bank letter.

A bank statement would is every transaction for the 12 months.

Some offices want a letter that lists all transfers into the country. Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

 

Mine did, and luckily my SCB one year bank statement did verify the country of origin for all my monthly deposits! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll tell you what though now that I’ve done my extension successfully under the new income verification procedures for the first time I feel a huge sense of relief about it, because you know it was the first time under these circumstances so I was trying my best to figure out what to expect and for the exception of two little things I did pretty well and I definitely got it done. They even called Division 4 HQ and made sure for me the same day so I already know it’s approved. It’s all about planning and preparation once a year.
 

Next year I’m gonna use Korat’s checklist and translate it to English and put everything in the exact order and next year I’ll be out of there in less than an hour depending on how busy they are. But next year will be yet even easier than this year except now I have to take more pictures 😂 I gave them my last ones I think I’ll check lol. This year I had all that done a year in advance except the bank paperwork which I had to do the same day actually. Next year should be REALLY SMOOTH now that I fully understand and know the new process after actually doing it myself. Second year in a row I stopped using my agent in Bangkok and this ways easier and cheaper. Although I’m glad I used an agent for my first extension now that I have completed my 5th extension 2nd extension on my own I will definitely have it DOWN perfectly for 2021!!!!!!
 

Last year also sucked because I had to get my new passport as well so last year I had to make two business trips to Bangkok for the passport and the income letter but this year no more income letters it’s the bank only thank God! But I can tell the immigration Officers miss the old procedures as well because now they have to work a lot harder! When I go back I’m bringing them donuts and coffee. Not a bribe just my way of saying thanks AFTER they already helped me expecting nothing in return except doing their job and a little bit above just doing their job! I was impressed when they called Division 4 HQ and got that technicality cleared up for me! 

Edited by DennisE
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know about Phuket but in Korat they want ALL of your bank paperwork including the one year bank statement the same day you go to immigration. There are also A HELL OF A LOT OF DETAILS I would love to tell you about regarding the monthly income method and the one year bank statement because I just did mine that way here in Korat using my monthly income deposits only and very successfully as well, but apparently I’m not allowed to be detailed which is not good for you because you probably needed most of that information in my previous post. So I just shortened it and I’m trying to remember the most important details AGAIN for you.
 

But remember that at least bank paperwork has to be done the same day you go to immigration in Korat but be sure and ask Phuket because they might have different procedures than Korat immigration. 
 

Also for future reference most Thai banks except for apparently Bangkok Bank CAN in fact print your entire one year bank statement in only 5 minutes vrs. Bangkok Bank takes a week. So be sure and plan your visit with immigration for the same day you pick up your one year bank statement if it is gonna take a whole damn week at Bangkok Bank! I know because SCB did a one year bank statement for me in only 5 minutes and immigration approved it, they even called Division 4 HQ for me and said it was approved. They called just because of a technicality, one of my deposits looked like it was early but it was just a minor technicality and their head office approved it. So be firm but be respectful as well. It goes along way! 
 

I had provided you several other details that might’ve saved you time and money but that post mysteriously disappeared 👻 so I apologize but I figured almost everything on my own as well with help from Ubonjoe so listen to him. He’s right about what he told above about the balance matching only the letter and bank book, but not the statement, so Joe was right about that. I just wish I could rewrite the rest of it because some of the little details I told you in my previously deleted post possibly could have saved you an extra trip, time, and even could have saved you a little bit of money but it’s gone now hopefully this helps.
 

But Joe is definitely right, he’s been giving me advice for the last 5 years I’ve lived here. I just did my 5th extension last week using the same method you are so I hope you took a screenshot of that deleted post it was detailed for a reason! Not very nice when you give someone a gift and then they throw it in the trash like helpful detailed information. 

Edited by DennisE
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, stephenterry said:

UJ - I asked my visa agent regarding the 65k route, and the response was that CM Imm only accept pension as evidence of income, not other income. In my case the baht/pound exchange rate brought my pension less than 1k below 65k, but I have other property CGT income to make up the (annual 7k shortfall) balance.

I wish you would expand on this. 

1:  How would CM Imm know the income comes from a pension?  Many people have their pensions sent to their home banks first, pay some home country bills, etc. then transfer the necessary 65 k to Thailand.

2:  If one has dividend and interest income from their investments, (which I do have) and which will come from both my Roth IRA, my Traditional IRA and my regular Brokerage account (currently about 14,000 USD, 26,000 USD, and 22,000 USD from each account yearly, and for which I plan to port the required 65,000 Baht equivalent +/-over to my "checking account" and then transfer the 65 k monthly from that into Thailand.  Is this going to be a problem? 

 

  I am sure that many people may not have regular pensions, me included.  Now I will have social security later in life when I decide to take it, but I won't have that now, and I certainly won't be directly depositing that into a Thai bank.  All my monies will stay in the USA and only be transferred to Thailand as needed.

 

  So the Thais and some Embassies gave up on verifying income types, amounts, and sources, and then mandated the monthly 65K transfer, but now are demanding proof of the type and source of the 65 k?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Phuket Extension boss is nightmare.  I was one of the last people to use an income verification letter last May and the little smiley guy outside the extension office kept demanding my bank book.  The immigration volunteer confirmed 3 times this was not required and had to intervene and told me he spoke to the boss and go back and talk to him.  I walked (practically crawling on the floor mind you) into the office and tried to talk to him to explain that his screening staff was making a mistake. "OUTSIDE FOR QUESTION! OUTSIDE FOR QUESTION!" is all I got in return.  I went back to the volunteer for the fourth time who again intervened and sent me back to Smiley who finally relented and agreed my income letter was valid.  Great, now I have to go back to the big boss who knows they were wrong.  He counted the months again and again and again even writing them all down to try to prove my letter was more than six months old finally giving in and simply doing his job for someone who had all his boxes ticked correctly.  Then they tell you come back early in the morning on your pickup date.  You get there at 9 am and he tells you come back at 1.  Thank god they are out of my life but my advice to you (since they are gonna make you do multiple trips anyway) is go with your checklist and documents to Smiley a day or several days before you really want to go.  Let him say whatever he wants then white it down in front of him. Then go do that.  My guess is it's a different list for everyone so just play it his way.  Apologies if this came off as a rant but its frustrating when you know the officials job better than them and their utter refusal to be helpful.  Side note a month later I had to go back to the same boss for sticker swap to a new passport and didn't fall for the "Get here early" gag a second time.  Went after lunch when he had cooled down from his AM rage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

1:  How would CM Imm know the income comes from a pension?  Many people have their pensions sent to their home banks first, pay some home country bills, etc. then transfer the necessary 65 k to Thailand.

2:  If one has dividend and interest income from their investments, (which I do have) and which will come from both my Roth IRA, my Traditional IRA and my regular Brokerage account (currently about 14,000 USD, 26,000 USD, and 22,000 USD from each account yearly, and for which I plan to port the required 65,000 Baht equivalent +/-over to my "checking account" and then transfer the 65 k monthly from that into Thailand.  Is this going to be a problem? 

1. They ask for proof of the source of your income. For a example a pension statement and etc.

I was asked for it at the office here in Ubon when I applied my extension and I provided them proof of my social security payments.

2. Investments, dividends and etc are allowed as well. Proof of the payouts from them should be accepted.

A rental property would be an investment.

From the police order.

image.png.ceec9cad63905bfb6985ff7e2377c374.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...