BANGKOK
brewsterbudgen

Renewing a child's UK passport

My 5 year-old's UK passport is due to expire near the end of December 2020.  He has an annual Extension of Stay as my dependent.

We are planning on a UK visit in July/August.  Should I renew his passport here in Thailand before we make the trip?  Or should we make the trip and then renew when we're back?  Will he be allowed to check in at Heathrow with a passport due to expire in 4 months?

Secondly, would it be possible (and easier) to travel out on his old passport and then renew it in the UK, and travel back on the new passport? I realise I will need to transfer his Extension stamp, irrespective of whether the passport is renewed in Bangkok or the UK.

Thanks.

Yes, he will be able to enter UK with a UK passport as long as it has not expired. that´s like the thing with expiring dates and why they are printed in the passport.

Looks to me it´s better to renew it in UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, he will be able to enter UK with a UK passport as long as it has not expired. that´s like the thing with expiring dates and why they are printed in the passport.

Looks to me it´s better to renew it in UK.

I know he'll be able to enter the UK; my query was whether he would be able to check in at Heathrow to return home, with only 4 months on his passport.

To be on the safe side I would do it all here before you go, they will add up to 9 months of the validity of his current passport to the new one. You wont lose anything and not have to worry.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I know he'll be able to enter the UK; my query was whether he would be able to check in at Heathrow to return home, with only 4 months on his passport.

It only takes 2 weeks to renew a passport by post in the UK. Got my kids new passport back within 10 days of posting.

Not sure why you would want to wait until it ran out?

Edited by BritManToo

23 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Not since 2018 they won't ... rules in UK changed to same as us in Australia. Rip off merchants.

Really? Thanks, I was unaware it had changed. Thanks.

Just now, sungod said:

Really? Thanks, I was unaware it had changed. Thanks.

No worries, only reason I noticed at the time is it's one less thing the poms can rub in our faces 555

51 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That will never be an issue, due to that it would just be silly to not renew the passport in time. Why is it that so many must have issues with expiring passports. Just renew it wherever you are before it even might be too late.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

That will never be an issue, due to that it would just be silly to not renew the passport in time. Why is it that so many must have issues with expiring passports. Just renew it wherever you are before it even might be too late.

It expires on 22 December - I will obviously ensure it is renewed "in time". Maybe you're being deliberately obtuse, but query, which has been answered by more helpful posters, is that it would make sense to renew it much earlier than I need to, even though I won't get extra months added.   Renewing it in the UK also seems like an option, although I don't know how much quicker or easier that would be than renewing it in Thailand.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It only takes 2 weeks to renew a passport by post in the UK. Got my kids new passport back within 10 days of posting.

Not sure why you would want to wait until it ran out?

I have no intention of waiting for it to run out.  It runs out at the end of December; my query was about whether to renew in June, before the trip to the UK, while in the the UK, or when we get back.  

But as we may only be back in the UK for 10 days, renewing by post while we're there does not seem to be an option.  Cheers.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I have no intention of waiting for it to run out.  It runs out at the end of December; my query was about whether to renew in June, before the trip to the UK, while in the the UK, or when we get back.  

But as we may only be back in the UK for 10 days, renewing by post while we're there does not seem to be an option.  Cheers.

If the kid's with you, you could pay for the renew while you wait option.

Appointment in the morning, collect in the afternoon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It expires on 22 December - I will obviously ensure it is renewed "in time". Maybe you're being deliberately obtuse, but query, which has been answered by more helpful posters, is that it would make sense to renew it much earlier than I need to, even though I won't get extra months added.   Renewing it in the UK also seems like an option, although I don't know how much quicker or easier that would be than renewing it in Thailand.

It will probably be cheaper, as well as quicker, due to no need for long and expensive transport of a document of value.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No. Thailand requires 6 months.

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Also probably depends on your location.

A couple of years ago I made an appointment at the Peterborough office for 09:30. Went up to Lincoln to collect daughter from university and picked up the new passport in the afternoon on the journey back.

At that time the cost of the express service equated to inflated overseas standard service price.. No trip to Bangkok x 2 either.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1