PM2.5 in two Bangkok areas at unsafe levels

webfact

By The Nation

800_be567ec99678d67.jpg?v=1578884554

The air quality in Thailand’s capital continues to pose concerns because of the increase in PM2.5 levels, the Bangkok Air Quality and Noise Management Bureau said.

Particulate matter less than 2.5 micrograms per cubic metre (PM2.5) in the air averaged 31-54mcg per cubic metre, exceeding the 50mcg per cubic metre air quality standard in two areas -- Pra Nakorn and Wang Thong Lang.

Most of the areas in Bangkok had moderate air pollution while the pollution levels in the two areas were harmful for health.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380467

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-13

From today's Times :

The British Heart Foundation (BHF) said that there could be more than 40 deaths from heart and circulatory conditions every day as a direct result of particulate pollution across the UK. It is calling for Britain to sign up to stricter limits on the amount of fine particulate (PM2.5) pollution in the air.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) states that the amount of PM2.5 pollution must not exceed annual average levels of 10mcg per cubic metre. Britain is signed up to European Union limits, which are less stringent at 25mcg. The BHF is calling on the UK to adopt the WHO limits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Well, I live 245 km from Bangkok, and so I found my car this morning!
This is the result of all fires including those of sugar cane, highly toxic unfiltered smoke from the nearby sugar factory and the many trucks that deliver the cane to the factory!

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

• Sad 1

The Thai government has it in their power to prevent excess pollution within the country, so rather than bleat on about it every single year - they should be held accountable for their non-action. I'm supporting their opposition in the hope that they will be replaced.

9 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Govt seem only to care about Bangkok. Even worse here in Kanchanaburi where a small mountain only a few kms from our house disappeared in the gloom yesterday afternoon.

I'm not sure the Government care much at all, except about losing face.  Once it improves, which it will, it will be back to normal until next year.

• Like 2

Other day I checked & areas in BKK around 170, Pattaya 102. For fun I checked Sydney, which has had all those fires... 95.

My hometown Portland,Oregon was 10-16.

"On a clear day, rise and look around you..." as the song goes

Good excuse to sleep in, I reckon

Wonder the intelligence of all those runners and walkers for democracy yesterday, none on photos seems to have been wearing a mask...

So basically this could be a way to clean air - send thousands of people to inhale pm2.5 and hopefully keeping particles in the lungs?

13 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Wonder the intelligence of all those runners and walkers for democracy yesterday, none on photos seems to have been wearing a mask...

So basically this could be a way to clean air - send thousands of people to inhale pm2.5 and hopefully keeping particles in the lungs?

There’s the rub here...it seems that the vast majority of the Thai populace is totally ignorant of the health dangers of PM 2.5 (and smaller) particulate density, or has decided to stick their hand in the sand and simply ignore the threat. The government recognizes this general apathy of its citizens and thus has no motivation to crack down on the causes. I was in CM Airport Plaza today, where my handheld tester showed PM 2.5 levels at 85.  Over a two hour visit, I saw only two other people wearing a mask besides myself. Ignorance and resigned acceptance to this emerging tragedy only prolongs the likelihood of any meaningful corrective measures. My educated Thai wife who understands the potential damage to her body refuses to wear a mask because it ruins her make-up!  I gather that it will take dramatically increasing numbers of incurable lung and circulatory diseases before the people will revolt. 

• Like 1

Right now in my tambon in Chiang Mai the aqi is 228 and rising, with a pm 2,5 of 178 which is beyond dangerous. But not one word from the Mayor or Governor to disclose what actions they will be taking. Or is it that I cannot hear them above the noise of coughing and spitting from my neighbours and their dogs.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Why worry about it....just plan your getaways sooner and longer say now until June 1st...

bitching and moaning about a non action gov accomplishes nothing....

make a statement with your feet...I strongly recommend against coming to CM until the rainy season

Realistically now the bad air season runs from January through July.  With a local pm 2.5 nearing 300 the brother-in-law fired up the charcoal kiln.   Lovely smell.  Overall Thai people are just ignorant peasants so if you live amongst them the filth in land, sea, and air will rub off on you.  I’m leaving for Portugal in 4 weeks if I live that long. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sletraveler said:

Realistically now the bad air season runs from January through July.  With a local pm 2.5 nearing 300 the brother-in-law fired up the charcoal kiln.   Lovely smell.  Overall Thai people are just ignorant peasants so if you live amongst them the filth in land, sea, and air will rub off on you.  I’m leaving for Portugal in 4 weeks if I live that long. 

Sounds nice, I'd like to follow but making a visa for my Thai wife seems would be a bit of a challenge. ???? 

Yes it is.  Im trying to take long term girlfriend.  Had to fly to Bangkok for interview, submitted about 3/4” of paper evidence and now waiting 5 weeks so far for the verdict.  If you try for shenghen visa, do not use Portugal like I did.  If she doesn’t get it I go on my own. 

19 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Govt seem only to care about Bangkok. Even worse here in Kanchanaburi where a small mountain only a few kms from our house disappeared in the gloom yesterday afternoon.

The government don't care about Bangkok either. The government do however attempt to placate us inviciles who live here.

Even now when the pollution is blown away suddenly many government monitoring sites are suddenly online and reporting. these same sites stop reporting for hours at a time during peak pollution times.

So don't feel to bad about it, Kanchanburi probably has equally bad pollution to the rest of the country.

It has the countryside burning <deleted> and all those vehicles pumping dirty black stuff.

Even fields within BKK are being burnt e.g. near Kasetsart uni not one police does anything about it

Just drove through Issan and Bangkok the past few days. Everywhere I went the air quality was horrendous. This is a huge boil on the face of the hapless army. The air quality is deteriorating, and getting worse each year. And what is being done to address this plague? People are dying. Does the army care one iota? There are a dozen progressive actions they could be taking right now, if they did not possess such a staggering degree of incompetence and indifference. Thailand appears to be heading toward an airpocalpse.