Thanks for nothing Thailand! Tourist given nasty send-off as wallet stolen at Super Rich

webfact

Thanks for nothing Thailand! Tourist given nasty send-off as wallet stolen at Super Rich

7pm.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

A tourist was given an unpleasant send off from Thailand on Friday. 

CCTV showed a man in black jacket and jeans milling about at the Super Rich exchange booth next to the Airport Link train station at Suvarnabhumi airport. 

At 1.40 on the tape a man with wife and baby come along and a wallet falls from an opened bag on some travel luggage. 

The man in the black jacket is quick to react and kicks the wallet a little before stooping to pocket it and hurry off. 

The tourist sees this happen but does not put two and two together until later when he made a report to airport police. 

He went on social media to criticise the response of the police who said they would just file a report and see what they could do. The man supplied them with good footage. 

4-1183-1024x569.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

He said that there were important documents in the wallet along with a piece of gold that had sentimental value in relation to his ten month old child. 

The family had to leave Thailand on a scheduled flight shortly after the theft on Friday lunchtime.

77kaoded contacted deputy airport director Kittipong Kittikhajorn by phone who said that this area was the responsibility of the Airport Link though he had instructed the airport police to investigate. 

Airport Link told the media that it would have to wait till Monday when relevant staff were back on duty.

But they said that the man was clearly looking for victims in the area and as soon as he stole the wallet he boarded a train. He did not go into the airport. 

77kaoded said that netizens were avidly sharing the story in an effort to track down the thief. 

No nationalities were mentioned in this story. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-13

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How stupid was the victim, wallet on top of an open bag balanced on top of a wheelie suitcase.

Just what the pickpocket was waiting for, even if it hadn't fallen out.

In fact the whole thing looks staged, as though it was some kind of exchange

• Like 2

The victim is a victim of his own stupidity and slow reactions... he watches the guy kick, then pick up a wallet from the floor and doesn't bother to check if it was his?

As for the thief he looked to milling about casing people, not in a hurry to get in a queue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

To be fair, the tourist seems to be more than a bit dim.

He watches his own wallet being picked up and carried off.

That's how it looks to me anyway.

Cue some "good taxi driver hands in the crown jewels" story. 

https://newsletter.thaivisa.com/l/SgIdX6UpslFqTqjirosvnQ/sFkG892sJcDj5rEc9C3W31Ug/q4vL8921iWOMg19SGYA8qRGQ

I mean just look at the chap's cool and well drilled criminal pattern acted so smoothly.....despicable !

And those exchange booths are ideal targets for tired tourists after a long flight. Always, always, always double, triple check bags to be closed and when possible,  travel light.

10 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

To be fair, the tourist seems to be more than a bit dim.

He watches his own wallet being picked up and carried off.

That's how it looks to me anyway.

Cue some "good taxi driver hands in the crown jewels" story. 

To be fair the thief seems to be more than a bit dim. He does not seem to realize that he is on video and easily identifiable. That's how it looks to me anyway. 

on a conciliatory note; I was sick as a dog with high fever, almost delirious and left my bike key in the ignition at a major hospital bike parking area a week or so ago and came back to find that someone had taken the key out of the ignition and popped it into the utility pocket on the bike for me. Thank you nice Thai citizen ????

• Like 1

It was reported in the Thai media today (14/01/20) that police caught the wallet snatcher, 34 year-old Thai national Nathphon Phanhiran, who has confessed to the crime.
Under Thai criminal law section 335, theft of valuables at an airport is subject to a penalty of 1-5 years imprisonment or a fine of 20k-100k Baht.

• Like 1

i got to say that here in the USA I have seen Chinese tourists while I was standing in line at the San Diego Zoo ticket purchase line, their backpacks were wide open and unzipped and I could plainly see their passport and other things in there that a person could easily grab.  I tapped the girl on her back and pointed to her back pack.  She was with a young man and I think they figured things out then.  Maybe they are just not tourist smart and leave things open all over the place

But they said that the man was clearly looking for victims in the area and as soon as he stole the wallet he boarded a train. He did not go into the airport. 

Given the petty opportunist thief had a rather large backpack with him, I highly doubt he was there, with all the cameras, simply waiting for some careless person to drop their wallet.  More likely he just arrived from another city at the airport.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

On 1/13/2020 at 8:03 PM, SteveK said:

As you can see from the video - there is no sleight of hand or pick-pocketing involved here. The tourist drops his wallet on the ground, but doesn't realise, then watches as someone else picks it up. The thief is almost certainly an opportunist, probably not a career criminal. Is he a scumbag? I don't know, everyone has their own personal issues going on, but you know in Bangkok if you drop your wallet in plain view and then expect someone to hand it to you then you are asking for trouble. A bit like expecting someone to hold a door open for you, sure it can happen but it's not something I would put my money on.

A professional thief would not even be noticed - this guy just looked like your average Joe picking up a well stocked wallet that someone else dropped.

As you can easily see in the cctv footage, he also gets his phone pickpocketed by a baby. 

Now talk about taking candy candy from a baby. 

maybe the women and baby baby are working as a team with the guy who picked up his wallet

No matter what you think or whose side you're on I'm happy this video made it to YouTube. The rest of the world will see what a rip-off Thailand is and the amount of scheming thieves there are here. 400%-600% tax on imports when they receive free trade from other countries. Passing laws to make it legal to charge foreigners four times the amount for health care as they do Thai nationals. Absolutely no respect for tourists or expats from immigration or police to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law on crimes committed against foreigners by Thai nationals. The rest of the world doesn't need you Thailand, Thailand you needs us!!!

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

No matter what you think or whose side you're on I'm happy this video made it to YouTube. The rest of the world will see what a rip-off Thailand is and the amount of scheming thieves there are here. 400%-600% tax on imports when they receive free trade from other countries. Passing laws to make it legal to charge foreigners four times the amount for health care as they do Thai nationals. Absolutely no respect for tourists or expats from immigration or police to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law on crimes committed against foreigners by Thai nationals. The rest of the world doesn't need you Thailand, Thailand you needs us!!!

Probably happens at every airport in the World on a daily basis. People have attempted to pick my pocket twice when on holiday in foreign countries. Never in Thailand.

• Like 1