cable big enough for a concrete mixer ?

thing31

Hello !

From a neighbour land, I will use a cable (2 X 1 sq.mm) to power some tools while I am building a shelter. I think the most powerful will be a concrete mixer (170 Liters, 1000 Watts).

Would the cable suitable for such device? what about if I connect in the same time a electric drill, or grinder (about 500 watts).

Thanks to take time to answer ????

3 minutes ago, thing31 said:

From a neighbour land, I will use a cable (2 X 1 sq.mm) to power some tools while I am building a shelter. I think the most powerful will be a concrete mixer (170 Liters, 1000 Watts).

Would the cable suitable for such device? what about if I connect in the same time a electric drill, or grinder (about 500 watts).

It isn’t suitable for running any power tools.

You haven’t given a distance that you are planning to run the extension. 

Most would not consider using anything less than 2 X 2.5mm2  

• Like 1

Well... actually it should be OK.  Most 20m wheel extensions are 1.5mm² (like mine) and I've had no issues running power tools with it.  Even my welder.  If you will be extending 50m or more, you really should go up to 2.5mm².  Try to run just one tool at a time.

Oh, I just noticed the OP said 1mm².  Yeah - need at least 1.5mm².

Edited by bankruatsteve

Hello !

Thanks for your answers. Actually the 'extension' would be quite long, about 80-100m.

So, If I understand correctly, I  should buy at least 2.5 mm2 because of this long distance, either I use one or several tools, right ?

2 hours ago, thing31 said:

Hello !

Thanks for your answers. Actually the 'extension' would be quite long, about 80-100m.

So, If I understand correctly, I  should buy at least 2.5 mm2 because of this long distance, either I use one or several tools, right ?

2.5mm2 is what we used over a similar distance when building and it was okay even with a couple of welders and some other things plugged in.

Best is the multi strand cable but we actually used single core (twin and earth) and it was OK

100m is a pretty long "extension lead" ????

If your tools pull a reasonable 10A or so then 100m of 2.5 is going to drop your supply by about 16V from whatever it was at the feed end. That's about 8% of 220V so you should be fine.

Watch how you run the cable as it's pretty easy to damage if run over regularly by vehicles.

The suggestion above of a "construction" supply is a good one if there is grid power nearby, you'll pay 8 Baht per unit but it does mean that you will have power to the place when finished.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

100m is a pretty long "extension lead" ????

If your tools pull a reasonable 10A or so then 100m of 2.5 is going to drop your supply by about 16V from whatever it was at the feed end. That's about 8% of 220V so you should be fine.

Watch how you run the cable as it's pretty easy to damage if run over regularly by vehicles.

The suggestion above of a "construction" supply is a good one if there is grid power nearby, you'll pay 8 Baht per unit but it does mean that you will have power to the place when finished.

What we actually did was to have a  "construction" supply as a backup to the 100 metre extension run from my neighbours meter. This meant that we mostly used the cheaper power (the cost was that we paid her bill so she got free power while we built). We had a small construction supply bill and were ready to swap to our own meter. It was certainly cheaper (including the cost of the extension) and gave an available 20A+ supply, and didn’t need to wait for the PEA to install the construction meter.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1