Gmail storage full

cheeryble

I got the following message today.

I thought to start trimming and discarding photos videos etc, but am presently haveng probs.

Anyone know how long before Gooogle starts holding my mail etc?

On reflection id guess they have to allow for people to disappear for quite long periods of sickness, travel, retreat etc.

Or is it worth paying?

How much?

I consider the 99c per month for iCloud storage OK and subscribe.

IMG_9253.jpg.b84e365c3ae727e762cd31a32d9b086d.jpg

geez... I've never begun to ever think there was ever a limit to gMail!

anyways it must be hitting you so bad, your posted image didn't even come up...

all I see is:

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>85D735B15669173F</RequestId>
<HostId>
+Ggbe6brrz04Sx6SZ4j+qvFQ66DImVjCIAGkjwEPCiMZ4dWjFqC3n3c/vdLKqm4Q1QyRmHxHs8I=
</HostId>
</Error>

also... I've never encountered any sort of time limit expiry...
(Now firstly I have quite a few smartphones lying around) - which sort of logically means many have not been picked up (actively opened) for months/years; as I use all those surplus phones for Alfred CCTV App etc etc  

so the above alludes to another avenue to avert concerns about overfilling gMail
- as what I do is make a new gMail account, for each and every phone (there is no limits, to Infinity)   Splitting your existence on gMail also means you can at anytime see any file/image, from any of those many phones; by Syncing them. 

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

As they have every single mail you have ever received & sent stored away (including junk) you can go into settings and download then delete, deleting will give you storage, the mails they have will stay their for eternity if  you ever need to go back in time.

• Like 2

First you should check the Google photos and Drive  that is probably where all the space is being used.

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

the mails they have will stay their for eternity if  you ever need to go back in time.

But if you delete them as you suggested then they are not available any more..yes Google may have a copy somewhere but it won't be in your Gmail inbox will it ?

• Like 1

@cheeryble    maybe you should consider getting a USB backup hard drive to keep all your important stuff   videos,photos etc

then remove them from google servers to reclaim space.

also consider an "offline"  mail reader 

https://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-best-free-alternatives-to-microsoft-outlook-email-client/

then you can keep a copy of all your e-mails on your computer and back them up to the USB hard drive..and still leave them on googles servers if you wish.

• Like 2

I just went to sigh up for Goog photos I already have,

But it said my quota was full but I had an option to back up HD photos for free.

Do I need more than HD? 

Doubt it

So I clicked and its back unjust a few hundred pics.

Also offering to FREE UP SPACE 11753 items to delete from this device.

Does that mean delete delete or stick in an accessible google cloud I wonder?

Ah backup complete.

(twiddling thumbs what next)

2 minutes ago, johng said:

@cheeryble    maybe you should consider getting a USB backup hard drive to keep all your important stuff   videos,photos etc

then remove them from google servers to reclaim space.

also consider an "offline"  mail reader 

https://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-best-free-alternatives-to-microsoft-outlook-email-client/

then you can keep a copy of all your e-mails on your computer and back them up to the USB hard drive..and still leave them on googles servers if you wish.

Funny enough theres an ext HD outside in the carport.

I figured t may be wrecked in a move but should try.

I think something wasn't right last time.

If good can use Time Machine.

Well yes I found the WD ext HD.

looks slightly rusty but worth a shot
The trouble is the connector doesn’t fit my MacBook Air or my iPad mini

I wonder if I can get an adapter for less than Apple prices and also wonder how much external drives cost Thursday’s cost these days I bet they’re cheap.

While I’m here when I use the MacBook it remembers my Thaivisa And signs me in.
On the mini which I use much more, the app I mean the TV app has hasn’t worked for months. When I go to Safari and open there It doesn’t sign in automatically… Boring. This happens although I always click remember me

50 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

The trouble is the connector doesn’t fit my MacBook Air or my iPad mini

They don't have a USB port !  ? 

51 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

wonder how much external drives cost

You can get a 1TB external USB drive for about 1000 baht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-1tb-blue-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbynn0010bbl-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i160585158-s193398666.html

1 hour ago, johng said:

First you should check the Google photos and Drive  that is probably where all the space is being used.

But if you delete them as you suggested then they are not available any more..yes Google may have a copy somewhere but it won't be in your Gmail inbox will it ?

so long as the GooglePhotos, GoogleDrive doesn't eventually END; like Google+

for then there is the big scramble, to move all that big rainy day job, in a limited countdown period... 

there are Apps though, that moving easier: 

Sms to Mail Archiver - which I have had for 2 years, great for emptying sms to email

SMS Backup+    - god for scheduling sms moves to designated email acct

after all, SMSs easily clog the phone too, when you add up SMS'd photos sent/received and fill the Logs

Edited by tifino

23 hours ago, johng said:

No, but still stored within "google" you would have to download to read which you can do through settings, its not a one step process though, they don't make it easy, it also takes them a few days to send the files to you. (access via account>etc.) When you see what they have stored there you may be surprised.

7 minutes ago, CGW said:

When you see what they have stored there you may be surprised.

Yes I was  surprised  at my wife's "takeout"

1757547149_takeout1.jpg.204ed50d3d1dda68afd35a085ac3c82c.jpg

mine was much better..mind you they did have ( before I turned it off ) some  "shocking" you tube search results !!!

1324103972_takeout2.jpg.4a1a00a937dbf576fb9be2926d8e6885.jpg

10 minutes ago, CGW said:

but still stored within "google"

No I don't think if you  make a "takeout"  and then delete photos,mail etc from Google servers to free up space that the deleted stuff is still "within Google".

( I suspect that they do actually keep everything ever uploaded to their servers but will not admit to that and the data will not be available to the "general public"  but to someone with higher authority )

13 minutes ago, johng said:

No I don't think if you  make a "takeout"  and then delete photos,mail etc from Google servers to free up space that the deleted stuff is still "within Google".

( I suspect that they do actually keep everything ever uploaded to their servers but will not admit to that and the data will not be available to the "general public"  but to someone with higher authority )

I have just requested an "archive" will see?

• 2 weeks later...
On January 13, 2020 at 1:56 PM, donnacha said:

Don't waste your precious time deleting attachments to old emails, keep everything.

Pay $2 a month or $20 a year for another 85 GB of storage, giving you a total of 100 GB.

People are reluctant to sign up to subscriptions but, in this case, you should think of it as paying for a small device that gives you all the benefits of a well-designed, fast, searchable storage of a lifetime of email, along with backups, word processing, photo editing and storage, spreadsheets, calendar, slideshows, and anything else you use Google for. That price is a steal.

Seriously, don't waste your time combing through old emails, that's a real rabbit hole, and any space you manage to claw back will soon be filled up again anyway. Solve the problem permanently in under a minute by biting the bullet and whipping out your credit card.

Just for comparison, I pay $12 a month for G Suite which lets me have Gmail and all the other services running under my own domain, and unlimited storage. I am currently using 38 TB, so, your situation is a lot easier than mine ????

Just got back to this subect

Thanks

You've almost convinced me

• Like 1

On January 13, 2020 at 1:56 PM, donnacha said:

Don't waste your precious time deleting attachments to old emails, keep everything.

Pay $2 a month or $20 a year for another 85 GB of storage, giving you a total of 100 GB.

People are reluctant to sign up to subscriptions but, in this case, you should think of it as paying for a small device that gives you all the benefits of a well-designed, fast, searchable storage of a lifetime of email, along with backups, word processing, photo editing and storage, spreadsheets, calendar, slideshows, and anything else you use Google for. That price is a steal.

Seriously, don't waste your time combing through old emails, that's a real rabbit hole, and any space you manage to claw back will soon be filled up again anyway. Solve the problem permanently in under a minute by biting the bullet and whipping out your credit card.

Just for comparison, I pay $12 a month for G Suite which lets me have Gmail and all the other services running under my own domain, and unlimited storage. I am currently using 38 TB, so, your situation is a lot easier than mine ????

Gonna get this sorted

Question is how do I pay

Thoughts:

I have up loaded my most important videos to Youtube.

If these are on Google Drive and i remove from my Photos presumably I'll free up a few gigs to keep me going.

How do Google choose what to store from my Photos.....I thought it was everything

Edited by cheeryble

3 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

out of interest que pass?

I did download the archive, then got bored trying to see what was in it as you then have to download program to actually view the archive. 

Some time ago I "turned off" everything I could, that seems to have cut back a lot on what they store - I think!

So, if you don't turn off all the items they do store, it will be there, sure its there anyway, but hidden!

I don't understand the problem. Simply create a new Google account and you will have free space again in their cloud. In respect of keeping copies on external hard drives - if your hut burns down then everything might be gone. You should use different storage locations or a cloud if your data are important. 

I just tried to open Goog Drive to check contents.

I got this......pehaps because times up?

446018638_Screenshot2020-01-2512_22_56.jpg.975189eae4fc773eabe2cba027570935.jpg

Anyway I'd like to pay for more storage if someone could suggest where.

In the meantime I'll also look

Edited by cheeryble

Just found this

Here is how to get your 100GB of free Google Drive space on a Chromebook.
  1. Open Chrome from the desktop.
  2. Navigate to google.com/chromebook/offers/ the 100GB of Google Drive space.
  3. Scroll down to the Google Drive section and click "Redeem offer." ... 
  4. Click "Allow" when the pop-up asks to make sure you are eligible

Good idea/bad idea?

Is it safe?

Oh

here's my storage situation.

How much appprox does Chrome need and can it work from my USB card?

1657707964_Screenshot2020-01-2512_45_43.jpg.c701690f4f246c86be515e12f63a98a8.jpg

THANKS

WHOOPS CANCEL THATS FOR A CHROMEBOOK

Edited by cheeryble

probably didn't have to pay for that, if you had setup Google Drive it takes space and  even when you delete stuff it stays in the bin until you manually go and empty it on this address

https://drive.google.com

you login, then you click on this

image.png.f0cc873b1936f038b6e4b05c7dcc7994.png

and it shows you your files in order of size, clicking on Bin shows you deleted files then you have to click on empty bin (maybe a few times) and then it takes a while to go down

I used to have 100gb of it, some promotion from having an Asus phone but then it expired and I just took a bunch of stuff out of the Google Drive folder (in my computer) and then emptied the bin

but if you already paid well that is that. maybe a tip for next time ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kekalot said:

but if you already paid well that is that. maybe a tip for next time ????

Seriously?

You think he lost out because, rather than spend days combing through old files and painstakingly figuring out what he should permanently delete, he paid 600 baht per year to expand his managed storage to 100 GB, redundantly hosted in multiple data centers on multiple continents by the world's preeminent Internet company?

Sometimes I think you are all insane.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, donnacha said:

Seriously?

You think he lost out because, rather than spend days combing through old files and painstakingly figuring out what he should permanently delete, he paid 600 baht per year to expand his managed storage to 100 GB, redundantly hosted in multiple data centers on multiple continents by the world's preeminent Internet company?

Sometimes I think you are all insane.

so he shouldn't learn how to access his Google Drive, sort and delete his files because he paid?

it's a tip for next time - because he doesn't need to anymore

if he knew how to do this to begin with he wouldn't have asked

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, donnacha said:

Yes, pay the little $20 a year and you go up from 15 to 100 GB. So easy. That is what I had to do about a month ago. I have over 40'000 emails stored dating back to 2006 as we traded on eBay years ago and I want to keep them. Plus I'm moving large files. I'm using about 80-90 GB space alone on a weekend for 4K videos of my daughter who practices tennis. Plus  I help a friend in Spain with high definition satellite imagery ... very heavy files. $20/year is nothing and saves many problems.

• Like 2