Thailand tourism: Chinese New Year down! "No positives" as Thais face tough year ahead

webfact

3 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

When I flew in on Friday night, there were Chinese and Indians everywhere in Suvarnabhumi. It was mobbed (...)

Not long ago I arrived late in the evening at Don Muang from a neighbouring country. I had forgotten to take a pen with me. At Arrival I walked back and forth, trying to find a pen to fill out my embarkation card. Of, possibly, four dozen pens that had earlier been attached to strings at writing desks, NONE was there anymore, all violently ripped off! But yes, the airport was crowded with Chinese travellers...

7 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

I agree with you 100%. I live in Bangkok and travel to neighboring countries very often. There's a world of difference between how I'm treated other Asian countries compared to Thailand. On a recent trip to Vietnam the immigration officer looked at my passport, greeted me by name, and said welcome to Vietnam. Coming into Thailand the only thing we get from the immigration officer is a sneer of a dirty look and a smug arrogant attitude. I will be going to the Philippines next month and deep-diving the local environment for cost-of-living and places to live. I honestly don't need to take just type of attitude from anyone nor should anyone else. None of us need Thailand!!!

Bang on the head !  I'm keeping out of Thailand now and going back to travelling around neighbouring countries for exactly the same reasons. I was recently in Singapore and Malaysia and both immigration departments are a joy to deal with, it's only when i have any contact with Thailand starting at the Embassy then Immigration that i get instant Terets !   I shan't say that i dislike Thai people, i'll just norrow it down to a few nasty cases usually wearing uniforms of some sort.......   It's very sad for the country that these people are the "First impressions" that you receive........

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Bang on the head !  I'm keeping out of Thailand now and going back to travelling around neighbouring countries for exactly the same reasons. I was recently in Singapore and Malaysia and both immigration departments are a joy to deal with, it's only when i have any contact with Thailand starting at the Embassy then Immigration that i get instant Terets !   I shan't say that i dislike Thai people, i'll just norrow it down to a few nasty cases usually wearing uniforms of some sort.......   It's very sad for the country that these people are the "First impressions" that you receive........

I wonder if the reason my life in Thailand is so easy, is that I am over retirement age, and the 800,000 is no problem?   Might I ask how old you are, and what kind of stamp you have to be in Thailand?  I have been to immigration about 40 times in 9 years .. and each ... absolutely no problem.  (I go in person to do the 90 day report .. to ensure there are no screw ups in the online system ... and sort of enjoy a trip to that side of town.)  Is the reason for your drama - trauma the type of stamp you have to maintain? 

On 1/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

Decision decision

Vietnam and Philippines with cheap prices and clean air

or Thailand with pollution rivaling China and prices on pair with Europe

Yes I see today flying out of Syd or Melb to Manila July-Dec 2020 ,cheap cheap,Cebu Pacific Air only $139 

36 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

Don't blame the world for what is purely a Thai problem. The baht has been going up since

the militaries came to power and peoples don't feel comfortable spending their holiday

in a dictator style lead country.

Do you have any idea how many military coups there's been in this country? Do you think tourists said no to coming here because of the coups? The answer is no. 

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Do you have any idea how many military coups there's been in this country? Do you think tourists said no to coming here because of the coups? The answer is no. 

Not saying you are wrong

But, A lot of people who are maybe planning a first holiday here might not fully understand the difference between a coup in, let's say a country in Africa and a coup here.

I have a couple of friends here ( yes I have two or three ???? ) who were working here for UK/USA and OZ companies who got calls in the middle of the night from head office saying don't worry, we've booked flights home for you and your wife tomorrow because of the coup. Their reaction was, what are you on about, it's sort of normal here.

What about the tanks on the street on the news here?

Well, there's a couple about and the crews are helping to direct traffic etc, what's the problem ?? I'll call you after tomorrows meeting and update you.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:16 PM, SupermarineS6B said:

Don't forget the "important" whistle-blowing parking lot and street "Generals" at every stupid corner!

At least, some of them can still "smile".

• Like 1

Don't insult people's intelligence this is a Thai problem only. It started the moment the militaries

came into power. You should listen to the expats more and the tourists when they go back home.

They know the problems with Thailand.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:48 PM, bangkokequity said:

I wonder if the reason my life in Thailand is so easy, is that I am over retirement age, and the 800,000 is no problem?   Might I ask how old you are, and what kind of stamp you have to be in Thailand?  I have been to immigration about 40 times in 9 years .. and each ... absolutely no problem.  (I go in person to do the 90 day report .. to ensure there are no screw ups in the online system ... and sort of enjoy a trip to that side of town.)  Is the reason for your drama - trauma the type of stamp you have to maintain? 

Been in Thailand 30 years, travelled all over the world and i can honestly say i've never had a problem with immigration in any country apart from Thailand in the last year along with many other people who've been here a while. I've just returned home from Chaengwattana and i'm glad to say that the "Dinosaurs" have been removed and immigration is now functioning as it should without nasty little Hitlers making the experience unforgettable, happily it seems as though someone has given immigration a good kick up the chuff due to their over zelous militaristic dealings with Westerners/tourists in an effort to save what's left of the tourist industry........... And hey, when i first came to Thailand immigration used to beg you to come into the place as many times or stamps as you wanted......... they will be doing that again soon as tourism continues to plummet......   As for keeping large amounts of money in a Thai bank..........  I'll leave you with the adage....."A fool and his money are easily parted"   Nine years !   I bet you don't even speak Thai..........     

On 1/14/2020 at 7:26 AM, BritManToo said:

I've always found them 30% cheaper than Agoda or booking.com (for similar rooms).

Which is why I use them.

On Airbnb the host pays 3% on BDC the host pays 15% + 2.1% payment processing 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 2:42 PM, Moo 2 said:

Don't blame the world for what is purely a Thai problem. The baht has been going up since

the militaries came to power and peoples don't feel comfortable spending their holiday

in a dictator style lead country.

Rubbish and nonsense, Thailand has had over twenty coups, it's part of their accepted lifestyle which has nothing to do with Baht strength.

Edited by saengd

On 1/14/2020 at 6:53 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

NONE was there anymore, all violently ripped off! But yes, the airport was crowded with Chinese travellers...

maybe removed, to prevent new viral transmissions... 

pen to mouth disease

15% down isn't enough.should be 100% with the threat of coronavirus.

i don't know what the chances are of containing this virus because if 1 person on the flight has got it then the chances are very high that it will infect others and not show up when being checked for temperature at the airport as it will be in the very first stage and not showing any signs of infection.then it can be easily transferred when everyone sticks their hands on the biometric machine.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:29 PM, SupermarineS6B said:

Been in Thailand 30 years, travelled all over the world and i can honestly say i've never had a problem with immigration in any country apart from Thailand in the last year along with many other people who've been here a while. I've just returned home from Chaengwattana and i'm glad to say that the "Dinosaurs" have been removed and immigration is now functioning as it should without nasty little Hitlers making the experience unforgettable, happily it seems as though someone has given immigration a good kick up the chuff due to their over zelous militaristic dealings with Westerners/tourists in an effort to save what's left of the tourist industry........... And hey, when i first came to Thailand immigration used to beg you to come into the place as many times or stamps as you wanted......... they will be doing that again soon as tourism continues to plummet......   As for keeping large amounts of money in a Thai bank..........  I'll leave you with the adage....."A fool and his money are easily parted"   Nine years !   I bet you don't even speak Thai..........     

I am really not sure why you are ranting at me ... all I said was I find retirement quite easy and the rules are simple and easy to follow.  I do my 90 day reports on time, I maintain 800,000+ year round.

What I wanted to know was what type of visa / permission the OP had that was making this so difficult .. because I really do sympathize with the "under 50" folks who love Thailand life, but are not qualified to get the "retirement" visa.  

Reading your post .. it seems the hot button is the 800,000 being a problem?  Hard to tell since your post was a bit of a jumbled rant.  So, if you are here full time, and have the right stamps in your passport, and follow the rules and maintain the correct minimum balances .. mystified what the problem is???

If it boils down to "I don't have that kind of money" ... I do feel your pain and have no intention of mocking you for that.  I have a friend who is now in the same position since embassies can not write the "He has tons of money" letter.

I too have traveled the world with no problems, but Thailand is the only country I EMIGRATED to ... so big difference between tourist stamps and full time residency.  I do hope this helps clear the air, since at the end of the day ... I don't owe you an explanation or apology for following rules and having a very happy life in The Kingdom.

Edited by Guest
spelling error