Thailand tourism: Chinese New Year down! "No positives" as Thais face tough year ahead

webfact

55 minutes ago, petermik said:

Simply untrue....T.A.T figures confirm tourism is on the increase with big spending Indians arriving in their droves    :cheesy:

She only looks at hotel bookings, while AIRbnb is taking loads of people away from the hotels. The fact that she doesn't even mention AIRbnb as one of the causes is worrying for the hotel industry.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Isn't it strange how AirBnb works perfectly fine in many other tourist centric places, yet for some reason is outlawed here due to sheer incompetence. 

Here are a few cities where Air BnB is either illegal, or very tightly regulated .. resulting in many rentals to be illegal because rules are not followed (EX: Registration of guests) Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, New York, San Francisco, Santa Monica … and many more

Closer to home … EX:  SINGAPORE — Short-term rentals offered by platforms such as Airbnb will remain illegal in Singapore, the authorities announced on Wednesday (Maybe after nearly four years of discussions. A minimum stay of three months will continue to apply to private residential properties.)

And even in a more friendly Air BnB culture … there are rules  (Which are ignored) “Airbnb hosts in Japan must register their listing and display a license number on their listing page.”

So the people who say “A massive amount of Air BnB rentals are not legal” … are correct.

I don’t have all day to use the Google Machine to do the research for you .. but these are the results of 5 minutes of search.  “Your Welcome”

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The head of Thailand's hoteliers' association has predicted a tough year ahead for Thai tourism

She cited economic conditions, the world political climate and the strength of the baht as ongoing problems.

odd that she left out value competitiveness of hotel room vs short let rental :coffee1:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

This is it.

I have friends at Unixx, Pattaya Posh, The Base.

All always packed with Chinese.

That is just 3 places.  

100's of places advertised on Airbnb alone.

Add the hotel sites that advertise condos.

The younger non tour Chinese are staying in these places.

i just looked and there are tens of thousands of hotels on some sites.. does not mean anyone is staying in them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Simply untrue....T.A.T figures confirm tourism is on the increase with big spending Indians arriving in their droves    :cheesy:

Correct. This can ONLY be fake news news. Where is that anti fake news authority when you need it??

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

AirBnB were reporting a 74% vacancy rate for their properties in Phuket earlier this week.

Good news. I remember that one BM here blamed AirBnB for the low occupancy of Phuket hotels.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

before commenting on the Baht being to strong she had to blame something else...they don't learn fast enough, last week end or early January something must have happen and the USD/Baht reached 30.36 but 1-2 hours late it went down to the same trend of low 30's, Chinese will not come because the Yuan/Renminbi is at 4.37 baht it used to be around 5 baht, economy in China not doing well, Chinese will travel to cheaper/better places, Thai government will have to lear the hard way

Possible scapegoats:
- Volcanic eruption (affects air traffic) on Luzon Island / Philippines
- Global warming
- Good old brexit
- US/China trade war

Four options to choose from, I'm sure one will fit the TATs needs.

Anyway, the new year started with good news about the tourism crisis in Thailand and those good news keep on coming.

Edited by Peterbilt
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Exactly!  Air BnB ... you know .. the illegal enterprise undermining the hotel industry, and compromising the safety of condo residents, while completely defeating the ability of national security to track "bad guys" ... all shined up and put in a pretty party dress so no one will THINK about it.

What a strange thing to say.   AirBnB is not illegal at all.   Authorities will happily register a property for daily rentals, via AirBnB or any other booking site / holiday rental site.

I know where the misconception comes from of course, with pretty much the entirety of Bangkok journalists completely misunderstanding a court ruling a year or so ago.

Some listings on AirBnB are not legally registered.  So are *many* hotels, hostels, guesthouses, homestays, resorts and whatever else via booking dot com and agoda.  

The booking channel really has nothing to do with it, be it AirBnB or Agoda, Tujia, Expedia, TripAdvisor, etc, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Don't worry, a better set of TAT figures will be along shortly!

You do realize that hotel occupancy rates are not the same as tourist arrivals right?

If you build loads more hotels, and have additional holiday rental options compared to last year's number, and the same number of visitors (or even slightly more visitors) then the occupancy number will be down, while tourist arrivals are the same or slightly up.

Why are there so many people who don't get this?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rott said:

74% vacancy or occupancy? 

that's what i want to know. googled airbnb occupancy rate phuket and it looks like the average is 40% but try airbnb occupancy rate phuket december 2019 and nothing

i suspect its around 60%-70% occupancy. we had to turn a couple of people away because full but they found places ok.

Edited by steve2112
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

What a strange thing to say.   AirBnB is not illegal at all.   Authorities will happily register a property for daily rentals, via AirBnB or any other booking site / holiday rental site.

I know where the misconception comes from of course, with pretty much the entirety of Bangkok journalists completely misunderstanding a court ruling a year or so ago.

Some listings on AirBnB are not legally registered.  So are *many* hotels, hostels, guesthouses, homestays, resorts and whatever else via booking dot com and agoda.  

The booking channel really has nothing to do with it, be it AirBnB or Agoda, Tujia, Expedia, TripAdvisor, etc, etc. 

1. Hotel Act Infringements

Airbnb hosts renting to guests on a nightly or weekly rate, are in effect operating as an unlicensed hotel. This absence of a hotel permit is therefore an infringement of the rules and regulations of the Hotel Act.

Am I the only one with the Google Machine?  Oh wait .. that would provide folks with FACTS ... can't have THAT! 555

Edited by Guest
More Information

1 minute ago, bangkokequity said:

Airbnb hosts renting to guests on a nightly or weekly rate, are in effect operating as an unlicensed hotel. This absence of a hotel permit is therefore an infringement of the rules and regulations of the Hotel Act.

i think only if you have more than 3 rooms to rent

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Europe is cheaper than Thailand now plus the quality is much higher, safer, cleaner, bigger portions of food, cheaper quality wine/beer/cheese, better to walk and do sightseeing, real friendly people (no fake smiles).....Thailand should be 50% cheaper to compete.

Often wonder why people like you don't move back to your home country.

Maybe it's because your going to moan about how much BETTER Thailand is when you get there.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

"Airbnb Hosts are often quick to mention that the “Hotel Act” stipulates that only business operations with “more than 4 rooms” need to comply with this law."  But that is so vague, it is a toothless tiger.

So how did Airbnb hosting go from a confusing legal jumble to a definite “illegal status”?

In May 2018, a court ruling in Hua Hin convicted two hosts of violating the Hotel Act of 2004; they were charged for renting their condos on a daily and weekly basis in Wan Vayla Condo. The offenders were both charged with a light fine of between 10-15,000 THB for their infringements.

Am I the only one with the Google Machine?

was-not-that.png

2 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Decision decision

Vietnam and Philippines with cheap prices and clean air

or Thailand with pollution rivaling China and prices on pair with Europe

Why spread this absolute rubbish??? Vietnam, Philiphines and co big cities are as dirty as Thailand, even Seoul, Busan and Jeju have absolute massive air pollution issues.

The islands there are the same as Phuket here - generally ok.

If you want clean air you are WRONG IN SEA, go to EUROPE.

But stay away from eastern europe, same air quality issues.

The only reason you don't hear about that as much as Thailand is that in Vietnam criticizing everything gov related lands you instantly abducated in jail.

8 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Am I the only one with the Google Machine?  Oh wait .. that would provide folks with FACTS ... can't have THAT! 555

This is bs, the hotel acct  allows 4 rooms/20 sleeps on single properties such as houses to be rented.

6 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

it's 4 rooms with 20 sleeps actually, but that's just for info.

2 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

"Airbnb Hosts are often quick to mention that the “Hotel Act” stipulates that only business operations with “more than 4 rooms” need to comply with this law."  But that is so vague, it is a toothless tiger.

So how did Airbnb hosting go from a confusing legal jumble to a definite “illegal status”?

In May 2018, a court ruling in Hua Hin convicted two hosts of violating the Hotel Act of 2004; they were charged for renting their condos on a daily and weekly basis in Wan Vayla Condo. The offenders were both charged with a light fine of between 10-15,000 THB for their infringements.

Am I the only one with the Google Machine?

was-not-that.png

Because they rent out a condo room jeez, can you even read. Condos have more than 4 rooms/20 sleeps.

Airbnb itself isn't illegal, breaking the condo and hotel act is. 

It's not airbnbs problem tho.

• Like 2