Farmers burn straw fields, leaving smoke-filled sky in Sisaket district

snoop1130

Farmers burn straw fields, leaving smoke-filled sky in Sisaket district

By The Nation

800_0c962145b80e1db.jpg

Two villagers in a Sisaket district said farmers set fire to dried straw in paddy fields to enable them to plough the land and grow fresh crops without taking into consideration the pollution caused by the burning smoke, ecological destruction or the inevitable death of small creatures.

b2(75).jpg

On January 13, a lot of smoke was found rising into the sky over rice fields in Prang Ku district, with only three houses nearby.

Two villagers explained that as farmers wished to plant replacement crops during the dry season, they had to burn the straw in the field first, otherwise the fields cannot be ploughed because of the grass compacting with scraps of straw in the soil after harvesting. Therefore, they had to set fire to the dried straw. 

b5(71).jpg

The farmers also said the reason why the straw had to be burned before ploughing was because new crop seeds will not shoot up and grow well. 

The men didn’t think the fires would cause pollution, “because it burned in the fields with no other houses nearby”. Neither did they think it would cause ecological destruction or kill small creatures. 

In the northeast, burning straw in rice fields before ploughing is popular. This comes despite a campaign by provincial administrations to stop the burning as it causes severe air pollution and kills small animals that live in rice fields, besides damaging top-soil fertility.

b4(76).jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380487

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-13
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Two villagers in a Sisaket district said farmers set fire to dried straw in paddy fields to enable them to plough the land and grow fresh crops without taking into consideration the pollution caused by the burning smoke, ecological destruction or the inevitable death of small creatures.

And the governor said what exactly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

My wife drove it and put out all the fires and destroyed the charcoal pots.

I hope your wife has a gun and some body guards..she's very brave  but should be careful about upsetting the "wrong people"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And the governor said what exactly?

Notably, absolutely no mention anywhere in the news story of anything being done about the burning there by the local government, local police, local health department, etc etc... All MIA!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

It’s a catch 22,these farmers have been doing this for years. It’s their livelihood and all they know. It is very frustrating and damaging to ones health,but untill they are given an alternative at little cost to themselves,things will not change. All the threats and whining by governments and people will not make any difference.

That's where you are wrong, if the government was serious about reducing the pollution it would envisage on an endless campaign telling them that anyone burning would be fined heavily, and possibly imprisoned for lengthy periods.

The only problem stopping them, is they don't have the balls.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

This is happening all over Thailand on an epic scale (most of Asia actually).  Governments need to work together to solve the problem.  The air is un-breathable anywhere now 4 to 5 months of the year.

Problem is it takes someone with balls, do you know anyone at that level in the Thai government ?

• Sad 1

On 1/13/2020 at 6:29 PM, unamazedloso said:

So, i live next to charcoal manufacturers and sugarcane burners. We have a tractor with tank and firehose. My wife drove it and put out all the fires and destroyed the charcoal pots. Police came out and said she was allowed to do it. Its selfdefense because the pollution is killing people and people have a right to protect themselves. Also it is illegal and it is the duty of the mayor but if they arent doing there job and people stand up things happen!! Local news got wind of this story and forced the mayor to do his job. Sugar cane idiots still burn needlessly however... just not as close to us but still stinks and still black rain.

Sugar cane isn't burnt needlessly. Google Weils disease and educate yourself.

In areas with mechanical harvesting burning can be discontinued , but not in areas when harvesting is done by hand.

16 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

It’s a catch 22,these farmers have been doing this for years. It’s their livelihood and all they know. It is very frustrating and damaging to ones health,but untill they are given an alternative at little cost to themselves,things will not change. All the threats and whining by governments and people will not make any difference.

Dont get me wrong,I too wish the burning season would just disappear,but on the other hand if I was a Thai farmer and my only source of income was to do burn off and plant a new crop I would.

Its up to the government to help educate and assist these farmers in better ways to make a living without burning off.

What exactly is the point of the uber-bloated Royal Thai Army ? The solution needs to be carrot and stick the army could be the stick. I know I'm dreaming som naa naa....

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Problem is it takes someone with balls, do you know anyone at that level in the Thai government ?

If the answer to any question is "the government" then you can be pretty sure it ain't happening. That Thannathorn fella would probably have been good but it turns out that he is a corrupt Thaksin stooge with no respect for Thai institutions so off he goes leaving a khaki Laurel and Hardy (not) in charge. 

On 1/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, Tracyb said:

Is there NO market for the “straw” and other remnants and byproducts of the harvest?  

There is a small market for baled straw. You pay 18 Baht per bale to the baling machine man who will clear your fields for you, then you sell them on at 30 Baht each to the villagers who want it for their livestock.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 1:37 PM, 4MyEgo said:

The only problem stopping them, is they don't have the balls.

Dictatorships always have enough muscle to enforce their bidding, here they lack the political will to enforce as they fear the result!

The problem  with  rice straw is that it is not easy to plough under regardless of how the rice was harvested. When it dries out it is extraordinarily tough and fibrous.  And it does not decompose easily. It is reasonably popular now for those who able or willing to call on others who have hay balers but unfortunately not the majority do so even if there is a ready  market for it. After the bulk of the rice straw is removed this  way it is much more viable to plough the root stubble in. Even better would be a machine such as a  fine cut chaff cutter so it all  could be  returned to the soil. Sadly old habits,  ignorance ,and the lack of technology  sets the rules.