Phuket Immigration re-confirms ‘embassy income verification’ letters not required after American expat given 30 days to leave Thailand

snoop1130

Phuket Immigration re-confirms ‘embassy income verification’ letters not required after American expat given 30 days to leave Thailand

By The Phuket News

1578908835_1-org.jpg

A foreigner has the stamps in his passport explained to him at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET:-- A year after the policy change was formally confirmed, Phuket Immigration today (Jan 13) again reconfirmed that letters from embassies are no longer required in order to confirm a foreigner’s income when applying for an extension to a non-immigrant permit to stay – as long as the relevant embassy no longer issues the “income verification” letters.

The news follows an American expat contacting The Phuket News late last week to explain that he had been refused a 12-month permit to stay on the basis of being married to a Thai because he could not provide an “income verification” letter from the US embassy.

With his application refused, the man had been given until the end of his current permit to stay – effectively less than 30 days – to leave the country.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-re-confirms-embassy-income-verification-letters-not-required-after-american-expat-given-30-days-to-leave-thailand-74367.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-13
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

A 400K would have been enough for his marriage visa which is actually a small amount for Americans.

I have seen an increase in the number of foreign students 'learning Thai' on education visa just to stay in Thailand.

Guess he will also join the queue.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Then told "it's only 800,000baht 3 months before and left for 3 months after application". I blew a fuse and told them to shuve Thailand and walked out leaving Thailand 5 months late

Sorry, don't quite understand what made you blow your fuse? 

Edited by EricTh

4 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Me Have Left also mostly due to the complexity and requirements of the visa process combo method, TM30’s  jada jada frankly all of it together it wasn’t worth the hassle. Nowadays  I can go to the South of Spain no visa headache , euros , better climate, no pollution!

Why don’t you?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Did you all read the original article? It´s not soooo difficult to understand:

Lt Col Udom Thongchin, Deputy Chief of the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town, today said he had no idea why the foreigner would have been refused his application on the basis of not having an “income verification” letter from the US embassy.

“These letters from embassies are not needed if the relevant embassy no longer issues them,” he said plainly. 

“I don’t know what happened. I am not sure who is concerned with this case, but please come to the second floor of the Phuket Immigration Office to discuss this directly with the correct immigration officers,” Lt Col Udom said.

Lt Col Udom assured that officers at Phuket Immigration have been reminded that the income verification letters are no longer needed for some nationalities.

“I told them today to be careful about the details of this part,” he said.

“As for this [American] man, and anyone else who has had this problem, please come back to the Phuket Immigration Office so we can resolve this.

“Under this type of visa, all that is required to prove your income are bank statements and your bankbooks [plus copies of the relevant pages to file with the application].

“This is fine to prove your income,” Lt Col Udom said.

Uh no.  The details are lacking.  The current "proof" is to show monthly 65K or larger transfers every month.  Not 130k one month, then 0k the next month.  Not 65k x 12 one lump transfer, etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mmm  - It sounds as 'tho this American guy was attempting to renew his marriage extension based on 40K+/month income from abroad. It is a fact that Phuket immigration will only accept 400K Baht in a Thai bank, income from employment(verified by Thai tax records) or an embassy letter which is no longer available to Australians, Americans  or Brits.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

Mmm  - It sounds as 'tho this American guy was attempting to renew his marriage extension based on 40K+/month income from abroad. It is a fact that Phuket immigration will only accept 400K Baht in a Thai bank, income from employment(verified by Thai tax records) or an embassy letter which is no longer available to Australians, Americans  or Brits.

I think you are right but what the covoluted Phuket News article fails to state is whether the American did have sufficient money in the bank. If he does have the funds he'll be fine, if he doesn't he's screwed.

• Like 1