Phuket Immigration re-confirms ‘embassy income verification’ letters not required after American expat given 30 days to leave Thailand

Phuket Immigration re-confirms ‘embassy income verification’ letters not required after American expat given 30 days to leave Thailand

By The Phuket News

1578908835_1-org.jpg

A foreigner has the stamps in his passport explained to him at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET:-- A year after the policy change was formally confirmed, Phuket Immigration today (Jan 13) again reconfirmed that letters from embassies are no longer required in order to confirm a foreigner’s income when applying for an extension to a non-immigrant permit to stay – as long as the relevant embassy no longer issues the “income verification” letters.

The news follows an American expat contacting The Phuket News late last week to explain that he had been refused a 12-month permit to stay on the basis of being married to a Thai because he could not provide an “income verification” letter from the US embassy.

With his application refused, the man had been given until the end of his current permit to stay – effectively less than 30 days – to leave the country.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-re-confirms-embassy-income-verification-letters-not-required-after-american-expat-given-30-days-to-leave-thailand-74367.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-13
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All I can say is thank god I/we left Thailand last year. After 9 years always worrying and having to go through that 90 day annual application. Rules changing on a whim what a way to live your life wh

Leaving was the best decision I ever made,   Ditto...back in the states now...what a fuggin relief from Thai Immigration hassles and scams...   No, I will not stop posting here for

Don't know if everyone read the full article. Seems like many haven't. Phuket Immigration has said:   “As for this [American] man, and anyone else who has had this problem, please come back

Posted Images

A 400K would have been enough for his marriage visa which is actually a small amount for Americans.

I have seen an increase in the number of foreign students 'learning Thai' on education visa just to stay in Thailand.

Guess he will also join the queue.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2