Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Phuket Immigration re-confirms ‘embassy income verification’ letters not required after American expat given 30 days to leave Thailand

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

I have seen an increase in the number of foreign students 'learning Thai' on education visa just to stay in Thailand.

Which will be the new target for poster boy... you'll have to prove you're doing the required lessons!

As for this American... if the embassy does not provide a verification letter then you have to prove your income transfers to Thailand... bank statement/bank book/ pension payments/income transfers.

It's clear what you have to do and has been in place for 12 months!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US embassy won’t even recognize letters from the US social Security showing the retirement monthly amount. The US embassy is anything but an embassy representing American citizens.

What a foreigner must do is to bank with a Thai bank and show the monthly earning required or the 400K Baht amount. The bank will give you a letter to attest that you meet the Thai emigration requirement. Naturally you must be married legally or be 55 or older to meet the retirement qualifications.

  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something similar happened to a friend at Korat immigration. They found a way to issue the extension after telling him that they could not issue the extension of stay based on documents he submitted. It did cost him a bit extra though. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Traubert said:

Jolly nice chaps Americans.

 

Little short in the patience department though.

Painting everyone with a very broad brush are you not.  You categorize all Americans as a "Little short on patience", pray tell where you came up with that analogy Traubert.  Yes we are nice folks, but hen so are all nationalities and cultures I have met.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ousaou said:

The US embassy won’t even recognize letters from the US social Security showing the retirement monthly amount. The US embassy is anything but an embassy representing American citizens.

What a foreigner must do is to bank with a Thai bank and show the monthly earning required or the 400K Baht amount. The bank will give you a letter to attest that you meet the Thai emigration requirement. Naturally you must be married legally or be 55 or older to meet the retirement qualifications.

50 Years of age to qualify for retirement visa / extension of stay Ousaou. That is the age.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Leaving was the best decision I ever made,

 

Ditto...back in the states now...what a fuggin relief from Thai Immigration hassles and scams...

 

No, I will not stop posting here for all you Thai apologist...don't dislike Thailand or it's people...tired of being subjected to punitive immigration procedures and rude IOs. 

Yes in the USA there are NO Scams or hassles from the government. Just unbelievable crooked politicians and high health costs. One ill offsets the other which place has the least of all ills is the question??? Please remember to vote blue in November. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

Something similar happened to a friend at Korat immigration. They found a way to issue the extension after telling him that they could not issue the extension of stay based on documents he submitted. It did cost him a bit extra though. 

Your friend found a friend! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not so straight forward as Phuket Immigration are saying. 

 

Yesterday I went to my Immigration Office to renew my retirement visa. Over the past year I have transferred 65,000 baht every month into my Thai account from the UK. Because the exchange rate is always better in Thailand than the UK I always transfer in sterling. In June, because of exchange rates the transfer was 63,990. I therefore increased my sterling transfer to ensure this didn't happen again. In October I transferred 65,000 from my other Thai account. All other 10 months showed payments between 78,000 and 66,000.

 

My visa was refused, because 1 month was less than 65,000 and I hadn't realised you could not transfer from another Thai account. The fact that my total income met their annual requirement was apparently irrelevant.

 

Having returned to the same immigration office for the past seven years with an Embassy letter confirming my salary and getting my visa renewed without any problems, I was disappointed. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, smedly said:

we all assume that everyone reads forums or other media about such things as immigration requirements - this guy seems to be one of the exceptions and knew nothing of changes to requirements ………….. now he does

 

always best to keep yourself informed of such matters

 

Hardly a big deal for him - he has many simple options assuming he has some income and savings back in the US - well he must have if he was always going the income letter route so what is his problem 

"we all assume that everyone reads forums or other media about such things as immigration requirements"

 As you said it is an assumption, but it is far from everyone, I have a new neighbour, a charming gentleman I asked him if he knew about the TM30 when we come back home after a few days trip in the country he told me he had no idea at all. I asked him because we have the same owner, an old Thai lady, and since a few time she does not answer the phone sometimes due to her health problems, so the TM30 in 24 hours is a kind of a problem for me. This gentleman never heard even about the name of TM30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Leaving was the best decision I ever made,

 

Ditto...back in the states now...what a fuggin relief from Thai Immigration hassles and scams...

 

No, I will not stop posting here for all you Thai apologist...don't dislike Thailand or it's people...tired of being subjected to punitive immigration procedures and rude IOs. 

 

Wha wha...

 

It least you have your principles. I hope you didn't the door hit you in the ass on the way out (snickers). Enjoy America, land of the free and home of the chronically stupid

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Smithy said:

Mmm  - It sounds as 'tho this American guy was attempting to renew his marriage extension based on 40K+/month income from abroad. It is a fact that Phuket immigration will only accept 400K Baht in a Thai bank, income from employment(verified by Thai tax records) or an embassy letter which is no longer available to Australians, Americans  or Brits.

That is not what tis says. It says that information is wrong, (the part about verified from tax records), it says you just needs bank statements, bankbooks and copies of the pages

 

“Under this type of visa, all that is required to prove your income are bank statements and your bankbooks [plus copies of the relevant pages to file with the application].

“This is fine to prove your income,” Lt Col Udom said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Partenavia said:

It is not so straight forward as Phuket Immigration are saying. 

 

Yesterday I went to my Immigration Office to renew my retirement visa. Over the past year I have transferred 65,000 baht every month into my Thai account from the UK. Because the exchange rate is always better in Thailand than the UK I always transfer in sterling. In June, because of exchange rates the transfer was 63,990. I therefore increased my sterling transfer to ensure this didn't happen again. In October I transferred 65,000 from my other Thai account. All other 10 months showed payments between 78,000 and 66,000.

 

My visa was refused, because 1 month was less than 65,000 and I hadn't realised you could not transfer from another Thai account. The fact that my total income met their annual requirement was apparently irrelevant.

 

Having returned to the same immigration office for the past seven years with an Embassy letter confirming my salary and getting my visa renewed without any problems, I was disappointed. 

I was disappointed. 

Congratulation for your politness... personnaly I would have been disgusted.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The article continues “Under this type of visa, all that is required to prove your income are bank statements and your bankbooks [plus copies of the relevant pages to file with the application].

“This is fine to prove your income,” Lt Col Udom said.

Last year I tried this course of action, supplying my bank statements and bank book certified by SCB. The officer who checks the documents in the Jomtien immigration office said that they would not entertain this form of application.  I was lucky that I had obtained the last possible embassy letter of income and was able to use it instead.

I have since learned that they will actually use this form of application to process your visa renewal. However, they expect you to do it through an agent so that they can get their tea money. Nothing changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...