Phuket Immigration re-confirms ‘embassy income verification’ letters not required after American expat given 30 days to leave Thailand

snoop1130

Something more to this American  

I doubt he was rejected due  to embassy letter not being required

I bet he had no proof of income 

A bank statement  from a foreign  bank should  be enough

25 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No idea what you're talking about. Phuket immigration accepts proof of income from abroad. Your statement ' It is a fact that Phuket immigration will only accept 400K Baht in a Thai bank, income from employment(verified by Thai tax records) or an embassy letter which is no longer available to Australians, Americans  or Brits. ' is simply not correct.

Hi statement is correct, just 4 weeks ago, my application for extension for marriage with proof of income was not accepted by Phuket immigration. They told me exatcly the above. My income is not accepted with Embassy letter, my only options are having 400k in Bank Income from working in Thailand

They handed me a document with is on the Phuket Immigration Volunteers website that says this

Proof of financial status either:

Letter from Embassy/Consul Certifying over THB 40000 month. (Max 6 months old),
Supporting documents of the income may be requested by the immigration officer.
Copy bank book name page and last 2 months transactions.
OR
Signed and stamped bank letter AND Signed and stamped bank statement showing the money ( Minimum THB 400.000 ) for at least 2 months before application date. (Max 7 days old)
Copy updated Thai bank (saving account only) book name page and last 2 months transactions.
Please make sure that all papers have the same balance mentioned

OR
Work Permit option with the following papers :
Copy workpermit
Certificate of company (Max 6 months old)
Certificate of income more than 40.000 Baht a month
Individual income tax

• Like 1

But the real problem in this country is that they can’t teach Thais the rules so each immigration thinks it’s like this or this or this . Same with every government office or schools or anything most Thais can’t learn

Edited by Foghorn

21 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

Please explain why I and three others I know were refused.

No idea, better check with immigration. Just ask for Lt Col Udom Thongchin, "“Under this type of visa, all that is required to prove your income are bank statements and your bankbooks [plus copies of the relevant pages to file with the application].

“This is fine to prove your income,” Lt Col Udom said."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bkkatl said:

What? 400,000 baht ($13,000.00) is a lot of money. Especially for those of us who came to teach and want to marry and get the marriage visa. As an American in my mid-thirties saving that amount of money and then not being able to use it is extremely difficult. I was a teacher in America as well and saving money with the cost of living, student debt etc is not easy. 

You're still young. What I meant was 400,000 baht for a guy above 50 is not much. After all, one should have that minimum amount of saving after saving for 30 years (starting from working age of 20)

Edited by EricTh

Here, is my recent experience, at RAYONG Immigration…the office I have used with minimal problems over the previous 8 years.

I went there with my Thai wife, who sadly, has been battling terminal cancer for the past sixteen months, and is currently still having chemotherapy.

Previously, most Officers have been polite, even friendly…this time both female Immigration Officers were openly belligerent and aggressive.

As I have now used my life’s savings on my wife’s on-going ‘battle’, for the first time ever I did not have sufficient funds to apply for my ‘usual’ Retirement extension.

Thanks to sound advice from Ubon Joe, I prepared the necessary paperwork to switch over to an extension based on Marriage (9 years so far).

As a Retired School Assistant Principal, I receive a Superannuation Pension, paid into my Teachers Mutual Bank, in Australia.

I presented Monthly Bank Statements from my Australian Bank - showing my Superannuation payments going into my Australian Bank (every fortnight), and then ‘coming out’ into various Thai ATMs.

ALL those monies from the Thai ATMs, I then deposit directly into my Thai Krunthai Account…approximately 63,000 per month.

I also presented a six-month set of Bank Statements from Krungthai Bank to confirm these deposits, along with a Krungthai Bank Letter.

For good measure, I added an official letter from my NSW State Superannuation Fund in Australia, attesting to my Annual, and Fortnightly income.

Result…NO!

Why?

Well, the Immigration Officer said that my Teachers Bank Statements, and my letter from the State Superannuation could be FAKES.

AND, through this whole 20 minutes of ‘discussion’, NOT ONCE did either of these Officers ever talk directly to me, or even look at me…they directed the whole conversation at my poor, sick wife.

My wife then asks, “As my husband’s Visa expires tomorrow, how can he get a new Visa to stay in Thailand?”

The Senior Officer, grunted, and said to my wife, “He can leave the country tomorrow, and get a Visa to come back in…and stay for just one or two months”.

My wife then FINALLY says, “He cannot go anywhere, he has to take me to Chonburi Cancer Hospital, for five days of chemotherapy, starting on Wednesday.”

The Officers look at each other, and slink off to have a ‘meeting’.

Eventually they return, and the Senior Officer, says to Wan, they will give me just a 2 month extension…pay 1900 B, and complete some paperwork.

When I ask Wan was this on ‘compassionate grounds’, she says ABSOLUTELY NOT…it was because they were SCARED FOR THEMSELVES and their families!

My wife says that ‘Thai Superstition’ says that if Thais do not help someone with a major illness or disease, they thenTHEY or THEIR FAMILY may get that illness.

Oh boy.

Anyway, as I have been since busy caring for my wife - post her recent chemo - I have not yet had a chance to contact Ubon Joe, and ask him for his sound advice, re what to do seven weeks from now.

Dear, oh dear, what a mess.

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, Scot123 said:

All I can say is thank god I/we left Thailand last year. After 9 years always worrying and having to go through that 90 day annual application. Rules changing on a whim what a way to live your life when you can never feel 100% secure. As for the smugness of sum people it never said he could not prove his income. He may not have had 400,000baht or 800,000baht in his account he may not have kept 50% of that untouched in his account (forever). It is very possible he could prove his income with bank statements. I remember going to immigration (an office I had used for 8 years so 8 applications and over 32 90 days reports) and asking the question way back in October 2018 about my requirements and if bank statements would do to prove income (which hadn't changed in 9 years well annual increase) to be told NO! Then told "it's only 800,000baht 3 months before and left for 3 months after application". I blew a fuse and told them to shuve Thailand and walked out leaving Thailand 5 months later. Leaving was the best decision I ever made, well settled back in the UK, wife being treated with dignity and respect, children loving school and me actually enjoying driving again. Beer is great, wine is great, food is far better quality and the icing on the cake is its all cheaper than Thailand now. 

enjoy the weather

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JAYDOUBLEYOU said:

Here, is my recent experience, at RAYONG Immigration…the office I have used with minimal problems over the previous 8 years.

I went there with my Thai wife, who sadly, has been battling terminal cancer for the past sixteen months, and is currently still having chemotherapy.

Previously, most Officers have been polite, even friendly…this time both female Immigration Officers were openly belligerent and aggressive.

As I have now used my life’s savings on my wife’s on-going ‘battle’, for the first time ever I did not have sufficient funds to apply for my ‘usual’ Retirement extension.

Thanks to sound advice from Ubon Joe, I prepared the necessary paperwork to switch over to an extension based on Marriage (9 years so far).

As a Retired School Assistant Principal, I receive a Superannuation Pension, paid into my Teachers Mutual Bank, in Australia.

I presented Monthly Bank Statements from my Australian Bank - showing my Superannuation payments going into my Australian Bank (every fortnight), and then ‘coming out’ into various Thai ATMs.

ALL those monies from the Thai ATMs, I then deposit directly into my Thai Krunthai Account…approximately 63,000 per month.

I also presented a six-month set of Bank Statements from Krungthai Bank to confirm these deposits, along with a Krungthai Bank Letter.

For good measure, I added an official letter from my NSW State Superannuation Fund in Australia, attesting to my Annual, and Fortnightly income.

Result…NO!

Why?

Well, the Immigration Officer said that my Teachers Bank Statements, and my letter from the State Superannuation could be FAKES.

AND, through this whole 20 minutes of ‘discussion’, NOT ONCE did either of these Officers ever talk directly to me, or even look at me…they directed the whole conversation at my poor, sick wife.

My wife then asks, “As my husband’s Visa expires tomorrow, how can he get a new Visa to stay in Thailand?”

The Senior Officer, grunted, and said to my wife, “He can leave the country tomorrow, and get a Visa to come back in…and stay for just one or two months”.

My wife then FINALLY says, “He cannot go anywhere, he has to take me to Chonburi Cancer Hospital, for five days of chemotherapy, starting on Wednesday.”

Eventually they return, and the Senior Officer, says to Wan, they will give me just a 2 month extension…pay 1900 B, and complete some paperwork.

When I ask Wan was this on ‘compassionate grounds’, she says ABSOLUTELY NOT…it was because they were SCARED FOR THEMSELVES and their families!

My wife says that ‘Thai Superstition’ says that if Thais do not help someone with a major illness or disease, they thenTHEY or THEIR FAMILY may get that illness.

Oh boy.

Anyway, as I have been since busy caring for my wife - post her recent chemo - I have not yet had a chance to contact Ubon Joe, and ask him for his sound advice, re what to do seven weeks from now.

Absolutely disgusting behavior by the immigration officers ,I wish you luck ,I’m sorry I have no advice for you and your wife 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAYDOUBLEYOU said:

Result…NO!

Why?

Oh boy.

You have to transfer the money from your Australian account into your Thai bank account, don't withdraw by ATM from your Australian account. That way you can proof money coming in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

That's what I mean if you read what I wrote. What would he declare as his income to the US Embassy if he cannot produce that same income to the Thai Immigration

He needed bank statements from his thai bank like the rest of the people from the UK,US and Australia since January 1 2019. And proof of the source of the income, normally SS if he's retired.

26 minutes ago, JAYDOUBLEYOU said:

Result…NO!

Why?

Oh boy.

The requirements says clearly that your deposits have to be foreign. Withdrawing money from an ATM and then go to your branch to put them into your account is not allowed. And the minimum pension must be at least 65k, not 63k. I do understand your predicament, but how did immigration actually do wrong,except for being rude? The 60 days you got is an extension because of having a thai wife. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Don't know if everyone read the full article. Seems like many haven't. Phuket Immigration has said:

“As for this [American] man, and anyone else who has had this problem, please come back to the Phuket Immigration Office so we can resolve this.

“Under this type of visa, all that is required to prove your income are bank statements and your bankbooks [plus copies of the relevant pages to file with the application]."

So all this guy has to do is go back to Phuket Immigration and show he has the money.

Not sure why so many people--including people who don't even live here--are getting so hysterical over it.  Patience and the ability to read are two basic requirements of living in Thailand. Not having those, it is indeed just as well that you left.

yes I plan to go back with all of my proven deposits for over a year to Bangkok Bank, they denied me our marriage visa and insisted 400k had to be deposited, which is not the truth.

5 hours ago, Partenavia said:

Having returned to the same immigration office for the past seven years with an Embassy letter confirming my salary and getting my visa renewed without any problems, I was disappointed

Did you think you got loyalty points for using the same immigration office?

Good idea to read TV regularly. The requirements regarding each monthly deposit equaling or exceeding 65,000 baht with evidence that each was foreign sourced has been referenced ad nauseum.

since failure to meet the requirements will usually negatively impact you, it seems worth the effort to keep well informed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigC said:

Something more to this American  

I doubt he was rejected due  to embassy letter not being required

I bet he had no proof of income 

A bank statement  from a foreign  bank should  be enough

"A bank statement from a foreign  bank should be enough."

Of course, that's one out of two requirements you have to provide when applying for an O-A Visa. It can only be obtained in your home country. I guess this american didn't meet the financial requirements or we're missing some info. 

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

A 400K would have been enough for his marriage visa which is actually a small amount for Americans.

I have seen an increase in the number of foreign students 'learning Thai' on education visa just to stay in Thailand.

Guess he will also join the queue.

What Americans are you talking about? Are you one? 400,000 baht $13,000 US is not chump change to be parked forever in a useless account. I am (sensibly) using the 65,000 baht per month income option for my retirement visa. The rest of my funds are invested and generating dividends as well as capital gains. 

2 hours ago, JAYDOUBLEYOU said:

Result…NO!

Why?

Oh boy.

What happened to the American was his own fault for not keeping up with a Thai forum or US Embassy rules  that could change. You are incorrect on why they gave you 60 days. My result yesterday at Changwatena = I am on non-o retirement extension and have always used the Embassy letter till they stopped last  January. I had monthly statements of  over 65,000 baht going into my BangkokBank account every month   from my US bank except one which was just below 65,000 because I took out 30,000 baht at an ATM cause I wanted it fast before my new way of transfering to BKK Bnk was set up. Because it was ATM they said no, Told me to tranfer 800,000 baht from my US bank or 400,000 baht and they would guive me an extension for reason of marriage.  I told them "no" you will give me a 60 day extension to visit my wife and I will make other arrangements. Many do not know you can get a 60day extension on a visa or extension of stay to visit your wife. Now that I have the 60 day extension  I will go to Savanaket Laos before it expires and come back with a 1 year Marriage Visa without the need to show finnancials----cost 5,000 baht. Advise you do the same at the end of the year I will have uninterupted bank statements of more than a year and will apply for an extension by reason of marriage.

If your wife cannot go with you I think Ubon Joe has mentioned you need the original and a copy of marriage certificate, blue house  book and copy sighned by wife. I'm not certain but I think others can come on with the requirements or link  to site that gives them ---good luck.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Scot123 said:

All I can say is thank god I/we left Thailand last year. After 9 years always worrying and having to go through that 90 day annual application. Rules changing on a whim what a way to live your life when you can never feel 100% secure. As for the smugness of sum people it never said he could not prove his income. He may not have had 400,000baht or 800,000baht in his account he may not have kept 50% of that untouched in his account (forever). It is very possible he could prove his income with bank statements. I remember going to immigration (an office I had used for 8 years so 8 applications and over 32 90 days reports) and asking the question way back in October 2018 about my requirements and if bank statements would do to prove income (which hadn't changed in 9 years well annual increase) to be told NO! Then told "it's only 800,000baht 3 months before and left for 3 months after application". I blew a fuse and told them to shuve Thailand and walked out leaving Thailand 5 months later. Leaving was the best decision I ever made, well settled back in the UK, wife being treated with dignity and respect, children loving school and me actually enjoying driving again. Beer is great, wine is great, food is far better quality and the icing on the cake is its all cheaper than Thailand now. 

Nah...this country is super easy to live in. The 90 day check-in in Phuket is drive-through like McDonalds. 15 minute drive to get there, 5 minute wait, no biggy. Immigration always super friendly and even more so lately ( I guess they’ve been reading Thai VISA ? ). Just got back from vacation in Europe and customs/ immigration in Thailand was super friendly. Easy peasy. No questions asked. Stamp. Approved.

And talk about expensive, Europe is ridiculously expensive. I have no idea how people survive there on such low wages and ridiculous tax. Was in Amsterdam and was blown away by the cost of living there and 45% tax. European welfare state is a disaster.

The one country that does give way more bang for buck than Thailand is the United States. The US is freaking amazing. Cars are cheap, homes are cheap, healthcare is cheap ( for what you get ) and everything is super high quality.

That said, it really depends on where you’re from in the US, how old you are and if you’re still working for a foreign company while living in Thailand. For example, I personally save about $100k USD per year living in Thailand but I’m from San Francisco, California where everything is absurdly expensive and taxes are almost as bad as Amsterdam. I was paying around 38% tax in the US. Now that I live in Thailand, I pay around 11% on mid six figure USD income. Same job, same company, same salary ( actually my salary has increased in the time I’ve been in Thailand from raises ). I was paying $4500 / month for a really crappy 1 bedroom studio in San Francisco. In Thailand, I live for free in my wife’s beach front house in Phuket.

Yes, I selectively picked a wealthy young Thai woman to marry. That was all part of my financial plan. It has worked out well and I’ve saved over half a million bucks that has gone up 100% in the stock market since Trump was elected. I dollar cost average my entire salary since I don’t have to pay for anything in Thailand as my wife covers all expenses :).

Point being, everyone’s situation is different. There are many many many advantages to living in Thailand. But yeah, if you want to buy a Mercedes and materialistic stuff like that gets 300% import tax, the savings benefit of living in Thailand starts to erode quickly.

The plan is to stay in Thailand for 10 more years, than retire in the US. It’s called geographic arbitrage. I’m doing what most people do but in reverse thanks to the modern-day phenomena of being able to work remotely and US tech companies not caring where in the world you live.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Leaving was the best decision I ever made,

Ditto...back in the states now...what a fuggin relief from Thai Immigration hassles and scams...

No, I will not stop posting here for all you Thai apologist...don't dislike Thailand or it's people...tired of being subjected to punitive immigration procedures and rude IOs. 

There are actually some deluded posters on here who really believe that Thailand treats us fairly, and no IOs are rude, nor full of hassles and scams.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The requirements says clearly that your deposits have to be foreign. Withdrawing money from an ATM and then go to your branch to put them into your account is not allowed. And the minimum pension must be at least 65k, not 63k. I do understand your predicament, but how did immigration actually do wrong,except for being rude? The 60 days you got is an extension because of having a thai wife. 

He is married to Thai so 40k month

5 hours ago, Russell17au said:

It is very interesting that it appears that this American cannot produce the financials that are required by Thai Immigration. How was he going to produce the required financials for his income letter from the US Embassy? Was he going to give false financials to the US Embassy? Wasn't this the reason that the 3 Embassies refused to verify the income on the income letters.

Never lied to US Embassy about my pension, even brought paperwork showing my pension going into USA bank, they never even wanted to see it. But remember they only wanted to see the gross amount before taxes, we did not need to deposit that money every month into a Thai bank. Now makes no difference what your yearly income is  you must transfer 65,000 baht (or 40,000 marrige ext ) every month or be denied. That or basically leave 800,000 baht in  a Thai bank for almost half a year.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

What Americans are you talking about? Are you one? 400,000 baht $13,000 US is not chump change to be parked forever in a useless account. I am (sensibly) using the 65,000 baht per month income option for my retirement visa. The rest of my funds are invested and generating dividends as well as capital gains. 

Sensibly using the 65,000 baht per month......

Such a shame that it’s only ever the monthly income guys that has a problem with immigration. I’m yet to come across someone using cash in bank method have their renewals rejected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if this hasn't been mentioned yet, here it is . . it is no big deal:  

He can get a 1-year permit of Stay by applying for a multi entry Non-Imm-O visa based on the marriage to a Thai,  on the consulates in Savannakhet, Laos, or in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,

WITHOUT any proof of finances.

All he has to do on this visa, is a border run every 90 days

end of story

• Like 2