Negative Vibes...is it just me?

Formaleins

On 1/14/2020 at 9:55 AM, Rod the Sod said:

This video is such <deleted>. If you take out the "girl" side of the argument (which most retirees wont factor in), and if you don't give a t*ss about whether an official smiles at you all the time or you have to comply with the law to get a visa, he is down to:

1. Visa rules may change - yep, the world over....

2. There is a focus on the growing tourist markets in preference to others. Yep, the world over...

3. Thais are racists, yep the same in Europe and almost everywhere actually. We will always be a foreigner but nowadays who isn't? He actually says "foreigners will never be Thai". Wow, smart guy!!

4. Farang pricing. Never been a problem for me. You live here and most likely pay no income tax. Factor that into your cost of living or amount paid to go places. So completely blinkered it is sad!!

6. Tourist scams - obviously he has not been to many places because there are many places worse than Thailand at this - try Egypt for example.

7. Corrupt police. Yup - so that covers 50% of the world!

8. Its all about the money in Thailand - no "its all about the money everywhere in the world" - they just make it more obvious! - I think this is largely a "girlie" thing so excluded really.

9. Saving Face - well that is all of Asia and most of the rest of the world but they just don't call it that

10. Lack of culture - loads of culture but not everyone wants to spend their retirement chasing Museums or Galleries. Anyway, bullsh*t as there are loads - just look for them.

11. Lack of compassion - obviously never been to hospital or really been close to a Thai girl.

12. "This is Thailand" - again, another earth shattering observation from our robotic commentator.

13. Lower class citizen - never ever experienced this

14. Instability - OK show me where there is stability right now.

I don't know why I spent so much time analysing this as it is such a poor video in so many ways. But I did, and here it is....

RtS

"11. Lack of compassion - obviously never been to hospital or really been close to a Thai girl."

Too true.

I accompanied my pal to a Pattaya hospital when he broke his thigh. The first thing they asked him for was his Visa Card.

• Like 2

Much of this indirectly is a result of the banksters and the huge scam played during the financial crisis and the accompanying money printing and wild speculation in commodities including food.  The world is still paying the price through the inflationary affect.  The average thai does not make a lot and a big rise in food prices is a big deal.  This was taken without protest in western countries where they could absorb the increase.

I don't recognise most of the grumbles on here, apart from the GPB/THB rate.

It's not the most amazing place in the world, but I have found Britain has declined far more steeply over the last 20 years (i.e.: since New Labour), and it's pretty hard to live in the UK and enjoy it now.

They take so much cash off you in taxes, and prices are exhorbitant due to land prices in the UK that have shot up ever since New Labour and excessive mass immigration; hopefully the tide will turn now, but for the meantime, Thailand is slightly better than it's neighbours in the region for value for money and infrastructure. There's always pros and cons to each country.

Vietnam I find a bit dull, and there seem to be far more visible petty thieves around. The mediterranean would still be nicer,  or even Japan (if it was less bureaucratic), but variety is probably best.

• Like 1