Negative Vibes...is it just me?

Formaleins

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There is a fair amount of unrest in Chiang Mai.

Item: A Thai tour guide I know says his business has dropped 50% since the junta took over.

Item: Another tour guide who had 80% of his business in Thailand, and 20% in Vietnam, now has 90%

of his business in Vietnam.

Item: Prayut is openly mocked by village Thais when he does one of his monologues on TV. I'm not 

sure if they are using the Thai equivalent of d**khead, but it sounds close.

Item: Many restaurants in CM no longer open for lunch, too few customers to be worthwhile.

Item: My landlord owns three apartments in my condo. I am his only tenant, the other two units have

been vacant for 2 years.

Item: The smaller shopkeepers and street stalls are not complying with the plastic bag ban.

Item: Many condos and houses for sale at less than building cost.

Straws in the wind.

guess not only in CM, this week end drove to  Krabi areas (Ao Nang, Klong Muang beaches) and didn't see the crowds as the previous years, thought I was in Moscow, also 5-6 beach front restaurants closed and the Tuk Tuk driver complaining about his (lack) business and some of his friends moving back home up north.... Prayut's name not welcome during the conversation

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Not the Happy Smiling welcoming place it was a few years ago, it almost feels like they want rid of us just to hide their embarrassment of how bad the place is turning. And have you noticed how much angrier they are? just in general and especially when they are driving? This place has changed a lot. Full to the eye teeth with jealousy, envy, debt and lack of income to pay for it all. A nation of "Fur Coat No Knickers" and everything on credit.

Yep. Sad to see and sad to say it's getting more like "The West" every day!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, SteveK said:

Why did people ever come to Thailand in the first place?

1. It was cheap. Now it is not.

2. It was friendly. Now it is not.

3. It was a care-free and easy life. Now it is not.

4. It had great weather. Well that hasn't changed at least.

5. It had sensational food. Well the worldwide health fascination has put stead to the fried, salty, greasy Thai rubbish.

6. Some single men loved Pattaya. Look at the place now.

7. It was an exotic and exciting destination. Now even the locals in Merthyr Tydfil have been here.

8. It had world-class beaches. Now covered in garbage.

Now it's overpriced, xenophobic, with awkward immigration and even opening a bank account has become an outrageous rigmarole with more paperwork requirements than getting a mortgage in your home country for an ultra-basic savings account that you'd normally open for a child.

Neighbouring countries should learn a thing or two about how to treat tourists who have money to spend. It seems Vietnam is on the up and up.

sounds like America

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Quite. America is now incredibly expensive. Go to LA, Las Vegas or New York and see how long you survive on $1000. Most of the time a meal in restaurant will cost $30+, taxis are very expensive, and hotels under $100 are few and far between. They do get good wages there though, if I had left the UK when I graduated and worked in my profession in the states I would have earned 2-3 times what I was getting paid in the UK.

One of the reasons that I will never go back to the states is that people are so damned rude if you don't leave what is considered to be an acceptable tip, despite the fact that they brought you the wrong drink, made a mistake on the bill, and ignored you when you tried to get their attention.

Should have gone to Australia. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

1) Exports and Tourism is in fact at record lows, will only get worse too. If you travelled around the country frequently, you would have noticed yourself.

Not down 40% like that video say.

Down 7.39%. 

Only exagerrate x6. 

2) You can't check it by statistic sheets, as they are always inaccurate or full of lies in Thailand. You can check by going around yourself, talking to business owners.

My friend have record month. Record year. Her customer is busload x2-6 of Chinese everyday. 2 van of Russian per day. 

3) If Tourism is not in decline, where are all the tourists hiding then? I can't see the big numbers anywhere (unless you talk about cheap China tour groups).

Phangnga 

airnb 

81DE137A-F265-407D-8547-B8D3A1DFA04B.png

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not down 40% like that video say.

Down 7.39%. 

Only exagerrate x6. 

My friend have record month. Record year. Her customer is busload x2-6 of Chinese everyday. 2 van of Russian per day. 

Phangnga 

airnb 

Exports are down much more than 7% lol but keep dreaming and believing.

So because a friend has a record year tourism is up? That is really Thai logic here at play isn't it?
My friends bar also did record years but that is only because he is too big too fall, all the other small bars are suffering big time.

Reason for my friends example: small bars are too quiet; boring,
so the bigger one gets all the guys that used to go to the small ones, as it is busy and nice there.
If you talk to 100 owners, you will know 95 of them lost business.

Airbnb is a new and growing market, that doesn't mean tourism is up. It means more people book airbnb instead of a hotel. 
That tourism is down doesn't mean there are no tourists, obviously some do well. You can't fix stupid so I won't even argue with you more.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Exports are down much more than 7% lol but keep dreaming and believing.

What your figure? 

You get from YouTube right? 

Why the baht so strong? Because foreign money come in to Thailand. Maybe you not know.

19 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So because a friend has a record year tourism is up? That is really Thai logic here at play isn't it?

You said “ask business owner”. 

My friends bar also did record years but that is only because he is too big too fall, all the other small bars are suffering big time.

Oh, you talk about bar. 

I think Chinese tourist not go to farang style bar. 

Reason for my friends example: small bars are too quiet; boring,
so the bigger one gets all the guys that used to go to the small ones, as it is busy and nice there.
If you talk to 100 owners, you will know 95 of them lost business.

Bar business for farang.

i think not so good business. 

To many.

Airbnb is a new and growing market, that doesn't mean tourism is up. It means more people book airbnb instead of a hotel. 

39 million last year. I think they not go your friends bar. 

That tourism is down doesn't mean there are no tourists, obviously some do well. You can't fix stupid so I won't even argue with you more.

You can read simple graph right?

Stupid to open another bar. Smart people open business that successful. Where you? Pattaya? Patong?

B5BF9360-77F6-427E-B458-596E021871C0.png

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, SteveK said:

Why did people ever come to Thailand in the first place?

1. It was cheap. Now it is not.

2. It was friendly. Now it is not.

3. It was a care-free and easy life. Now it is not.

4. It had great weather. Well that hasn't changed at least.

5. It had sensational food. Well the worldwide health fascination has put stead to the fried, salty, greasy Thai rubbish.

6. Some single men loved Pattaya. Look at the place now.

7. It was an exotic and exciting destination. Now even the locals in Merthyr Tydfil have been here.

8. It had world-class beaches. Now covered in garbage.

Now it's overpriced, xenophobic, with awkward immigration and even opening a bank account has become an outrageous rigmarole with more paperwork requirements than getting a mortgage in your home country for an ultra-basic savings account that you'd normally open for a child.

Neighbouring countries should learn a thing or two about how to treat tourists who have money to spend. It seems Vietnam is on the up and up.

1. I find it as cheap for me now as it was when I first came here 12 years ago. In fact, some things have become cheaper for eg. internet, big bikes etc

2. Locals still as friendly as before. The most unfriendly neighbour I ever had in Thailand was, you guessed it, a farang. 
3. I still find it very care free and easy. Can drive 120kph often without being caught by speed cameras. On the rare occasion I do get stopped, 400 baht solves the problem and gives me immunity for the rest of the day. 
4. Agreed 

5. I had 10 overseas visitors over the New Year period, staying 6 days. Gave them the option of Thai, German, Italian, Japanese and other foreign food every meal. They only wanted Thai food. According to them, that’s one of the reasons they come to Thailand. 
6. No comment on sexpats

7. Paris, London, Rome, Athens, Cairo etc were once upon a time exciting destinations to me. You would now have to pay me to leave the comfort of my home. 
8. Was never a fan of beaches so no comment from me.

Agree that 90day, TM30, the piles of photocopies etc is a nuisance. But nothing compared to the hurdles I would have to jump through to try and stay in some Western countries, with little chance of success I might add. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never wai anyone, makes you look weak and submissive, so of course they'll treat you badly.

I have never wai-ed anyone here. In most situations, I am the elder person anyway. I just nod politely. Sabai dee mai works well.

As a 6 foot 90 kg farang, I'd feel stupid returning a wai to someone a foot shorter and half my body mass.

• Like 1