Negative Vibes...is it just me?

Formaleins

On 1/14/2020 at 10:32 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Now, as a foreigner, you must stay up to 3 months with tourist or business visas.

Not exactly what I have read, at least regarding tourist visas:

"Accordingly, the amended law stipulates that a foreigner will be allowed to remain for only 30 days in Vietnam when granted a 30-day or longer tourist visa"

https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/police-profile-foreign-criminals-entering-vietnam-601182.html

As people become wealthy and their daily needs are taken care of, they look to more theoretical problems.

They long for political freedom and involvement.

Most revolutions of discontent are lead by the middle and upper class, not the working class (Russian peasants were very pro-Tsar, most Soviets tended to be upper class). 

Ironically, it is times of wealthy and plenty that often lead to unhappy populations- not times of want.

Edited by toast1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, toast1 said:

Ironically, it is times of wealthy and plenty that often lead to unhappy populations- not times of want.

In the case of China, this seems not to be true. The times of want led to Mao's revolution. The current times of plenty? Not quite so revolutionary.

14 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

In the case of China, this seems not to be true. The times of want led to Mao's revolution. The current times of plenty? Not quite so revolutionary.

..Just give it time, it goes like the sea waves.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:18 PM, SteveK said:

Why did people ever come to Thailand in the first place?

1. It was cheap. Now it is not.

2. It was friendly. Now it is not.

3. It was a care-free and easy life. Now it is not.

4. It had great weather. Well that hasn't changed at least.

5. It had sensational food. Well the worldwide health fascination has put stead to the fried, salty, greasy Thai rubbish.

6. Some single men loved Pattaya. Look at the place now.

7. It was an exotic and exciting destination. Now even the locals in Merthyr Tydfil have been here.

8. It had world-class beaches. Now covered in garbage.

Now it's overpriced, xenophobic, with awkward immigration and even opening a bank account has become an outrageous rigmarole with more paperwork requirements than getting a mortgage in your home country for an ultra-basic savings account that you'd normally open for a child.

Neighbouring countries should learn a thing or two about how to treat tourists who have money to spend. It seems Vietnam is on the up and up.

Vietnam is worse. The people may not be quite as unpleasant as Thais - not far off...but the place is sterile ...no culture and everything is just complicated . The noise levels are off the charts as is the pollution and bureaucracy . Forget vietnam as an alternative to Tightland.

• Confused 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:48 PM, SteveK said:

5. It had sensational food. Well the worldwide health fascination has put stead to the fried, salty, greasy Thai rubbish.

7. It was an exotic and exciting destination. Now even the locals in Merthyr Tydfil have been here.

Now it's overpriced, xenophobic, with awkward immigration and even opening a bank account has become an outrageous rigmarole with more paperwork requirements than getting a mortgage in your home country for an ultra-basic savings account that you'd normally open for a child.

Neighbouring countries should learn a thing or two about how to treat tourists who have money to spend. It seems Vietnam is on the up and up.

I don't quarrel with much of this but working with Thais, I find them the same or better disposition than years ago.

I think things have become more difficult for Thais and it shows. Tens of millions don't make a satang off of you tourists but you seem to expect them to put on a show for you.

Maybe life is kinda shi++y for them too no? How you like to be the branch manager of a bank earning 35k a month?

Work in Tesco? What's that b70 an hour no benefits?

Stay classy Thailand.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 8:25 PM, Number 6 said:

Tens of millions don't make a satang off of you tourists but you seem to expect them to put on a show for you.

Agree.

Too many here have this deluded vision that the Thais should stop what they are doing and wai or wave with a great big smile to the foreigner as they drive/walk by lol

Many foreigners I've meet here look so miserable and negative about everything so why should they bother trying to make you feel better about yourself? they don't owe us anything!

On 1/14/2020 at 4:55 PM, Rod the Sod said:

This video is such <deleted>. If you take out the "girl" side of the argument (which most retirees wont factor in), and if you don't give a t*ss about whether an official smiles at you all the time or you have to comply with the law to get a visa, he is down to:

1. Visa rules may change - yep, the world over....

2. There is a focus on the growing tourist markets in preference to others. Yep, the world over...

3. Thais are racists, yep the same in Europe and almost everywhere actually. We will always be a foreigner but nowadays who isn't? He actually says "foreigners will never be Thai". Wow, smart guy!!

4. Farang pricing. Never been a problem for me. You live here and most likely pay no income tax. Factor that into your cost of living or amount paid to go places. So completely blinkered it is sad!!

6. Tourist scams - obviously he has not been to many places because there are many places worse than Thailand at this - try Egypt for example.

7. Corrupt police. Yup - so that covers 50% of the world!

8. Its all about the money in Thailand - no "its all about the money everywhere in the world" - they just make it more obvious! - I think this is largely a "girlie" thing so excluded really.

9. Saving Face - well that is all of Asia and most of the rest of the world but they just don't call it that

10. Lack of culture - loads of culture but not everyone wants to spend their retirement chasing Museums or Galleries. Anyway, bullsh*t as there are loads - just look for them.

11. Lack of compassion - obviously never been to hospital or really been close to a Thai girl.

12. "This is Thailand" - again, another earth shattering observation from our robotic commentator.

13. Lower class citizen - never ever experienced this

14. Instability - OK show me where there is stability right now.

I don't know why I spent so much time analysing this as it is such a poor video in so many ways. But I did, and here it is....

RtS

Excellent post Rod.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, baansgr said:

Another thread, different title same subject....yes, I used to go out anytime of day or night, get drunk have sex with a lovely girl or two or three that would actually pay attention to me and ride home drunk on my moped, cost me 20 quid or so....now, I would need to spend 150 quid for a fat farm girl that looks at her phone all night and be home by 2am in a taxi.....yep, the fun has gone and ain't coming back

You quite right about the fat farm girls......started infiltrating Pattaya years ago.  Passing through Soi 4 Suk a few months ago I didn't see anywhere as many blobish girls......so there is hope yet to score a trim little spinner in the big smoke.  

On 1/21/2020 at 8:25 PM, Number 6 said:

I don't quarrel with much of this but working with Thais, I find them the same or better disposition than years ago.

I think things have become more difficult for Thais and it shows. Tens of millions don't make a satang off of you tourists but you seem to expect them to put on a show for you.

Maybe life is kinda shi++y for them too no? How you like to be the branch manager of a bank earning 35k a month?

Work in Tesco? What's that b70 an hour no benefits?

Stay classy Thailand.

Dairy Queen was advertising 42 per hour, within the last few years.  35k for a branch manager, only at the larger branches.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MRTELLYOUSTRAIGHT said:

Too many here have this deluded vision that the Thais should stop what they are doing and wai or wave with a great big smile to the foreigner as they drive/walk by lol

As long as they move out of my way, why would I care what else they do?

Don't you just hate it when they just stand around blocking the sidewalk/stairs/doors?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't you just hate it when they just stand around blocking the sidewalk/stairs/doors?

Must be the Chinese in them.  Ever see the twin columns of farang feminazis on the March in BKK and CM?

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:48 PM, SteveK said:

It had clean air now it hasn't 

On 1/13/2020 at 10:20 PM, BritManToo said:

Me Too!

If we had married or reproduced with a Viet, we would have a 5 year VISA for $50 with no financials.

But I did specify 'tourists', can't see a single reason for them to come here now.

Is that correct

I think back to 1998, my first visit, I just fell

insanely in love with it.

Changes here, like anywhere, require farang to

simply adapt and respect.

I'm afraid I can't grumble like some here, I still

love LOS, I still find it exciting and fun, but in

perhaps a different way.

Life is what you make it I suppose.

18 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

You quite right about the fat farm girls......started infiltrating Pattaya years ago.  Passing through Soi 4 Suk a few months ago I didn't see anywhere as many blobish girls......so there is hope yet to score a trim little spinner in the big smoke.  

Bangkok has always been able to attract the lookers, usually cost you 50-100% over Pattaya. Even in early 2000s Pattaya had more than it's share of fat n fuglies. Pattaya is easier for the less sophisticated girls to settle and work. Lots of dusky single moms that wouldn't stand a chance in BKK. If they're still alive after five years they'll wash out to other parts of Thailand. Phuket, Hua Him, etc.

Edited by Number 6

On 1/14/2020 at 2:20 AM, mstevens said:

I think we were fooling ourselves thinking the weather in Thailand was great. I too used to think the weather was great because it never got cold. But actually, it's too hot for most of the year in Bangkok and the cool season reprieve may only last a week or two. So count me among those who now thinks the weather in Bangkok is not a positive at all.

So true, the weather is awful here for 11 months of the year.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:30 PM, BritManToo said:

Never wai anyone, makes you look weak and submissive, so of course they'll treat you badly.

Got to agree with this. After my first few months here (11 years resident now) I stopped waiing anybody at all - not immigration officials, friends and acquaintances, government office staff; none of 'em. What I DO give though is a BIG smile and (often at their insistence) a good handshake. Seems to go down well. A good smile - including 'smiling' eyes - is hard to fake but the cursory way in which wais are chucked about makes me feel they're very insincere. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, myprivate said:

So true, the weather is awful here for 11 months of the year.

I think most of the problems foreigners encounter with the heat is caused by their use of air-conditioning.

I only use it to get to sleep in the hottest of months (set at 28c).

I find the Thai weather pleasant most of the year round, bit cold this morning though , brrrrrrrr.....

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 11:43 AM, BritManToo said:

staying out of your way is about the last thing theyd do...

cant even use a self service laundry these dats without an annoying "helper" pestering me.

• Haha 1

When I first came 25 years ago as a young male backpacker I was scammed in Bangkok by a "friendly" male Thai. I seem to remember the view of every backpacker I met was every local was out to cheat you. I lamented that the Thais didn't seem at all interested in meeting foreigners and was extremely disappointed that no so called "good girl" would even look at a foreigner let alone talk to one.

These days, walking around I never feel like prey on the savannah.

And dating outside a bar girl is a million times easier.

Actually I think one thing that has been overlooked in this thread is the effect that over crowding has on people. There's just far more people living here now and that ever crowding stresses people.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:42 PM, Formaleins said:

The people I know around my village

Thats the problem right there. Get away from uneducated hillbillies and get back to civilization. Never met an angry Thai on lower Sukhumvit. Im ecstatic to have nothing to do with them unless I am ordering food, in a go go or ordering takeaway from Thai friendly..

Op needs to get a life if Villagers discussing plastic bags needs a full thread!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Well, I wai and I use the air-conditioner.  Both have severed me well over the years.???? 

I almost corrected that typo but thought what the heck, it is kind of an interesting mistake and some might find it entertaining.????

• Haha 2