Driving at under 90kph in the right lane of highways may become an offence

webfact

And will it be enforced?

I doubt it?

If the police cannot not be bothered to enforce the law that is being broken right infront of their eyes such a motorcycle riders wearing no helmet, more than two persons on one motorbike, using a mobile phone whilst in control of a motorbike and/or jumping a red light, which happens all the time, I doubt this new idea will be enforced as is no more than six persons on a flat bed of a pick.up or speeding Mini buses, or over crowed buses, and sooooooo on.

Fickle...

On 1/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, ThaiTJ said:

I understand this in theory. My problem is the left lane is normally full of holes that can swallow a tire and ruts that toss my old jeep around. Too bad the roads are not all concrete instead of a thin layer of asphalt that fail's in 6 months.

Many Thai roads are concrete but poorly constructed. They often have a layer of asphalt on top...largelyforcosmetic purposes.

If you want to gauge the level of corruption in any country, look at the roads.

Government contracts mean big opportunities for skimming off a few million here and there. Roads are particularly good for this as you can save huge amounts on hardcore unstructured and foundations and then cover it all up with asphalt. Subsequent deterioration of the roads is after payment is made.

personally I think that detectors monitoring minimum speed and undue use of middle and overtaking lanes would be a good investment in both Thailand and Europe.

there are probably some significant hidden figures of accidents caused by middle lane crawlers, you know the "I cruise at 80 Kph in the middle lane" types, forcing all traffic that observes traffic rules to swerve 3 lanes to avoid that traffic hindrance.

on highways with 2 lanes in one direction, there are what Germans call "Elefantenrennen", i.e. "elephant races" where one truck takes forever overtaking another truck because one drives at 89.7 Kph and the other at 90.05  while a 3 Km traffic jam forms behind them.