BANGKOK

Thailand is right on the edge of being labelled a currency manipulator because its current account surplus is approaching USD 20 bill., basically that means the value of Thailand exports is far more than its imports. There's no penalty for being included on this list and if they do join they'll be in good company, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore and China are also being monitored!

So the question is, for all you currency manipulator theorists, are all those countries really manipulating their currencies also, just like Thailand is supposedly doing, is all of SE Asia a currency manipulator?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-13/u-s-drops-china-currency-manipulator-label-ahead-of-trade-deal?srnd=premium-asia

Edited by saengd

I agree but many/most posters don't, let's hope Donald agrees also!

2 minutes ago, deej said:

How can that be classed as Sad

Smell the coffee😀

The Thai Baht is over valued by minuim of 20% in  some cases 30% (currencys) and that is Fact😀

By what measure of fact is the Baht overvalued by 20 or 30% and why is it higher (30% not 20%) in some cases?

Edited by saengd
  • Like 2

Can I remind that this is about the potential for currency manipulation and not government, the strength of the Baht is under the control of the independent central bank.

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

By what measure is the Baht overvalued by 20 or 30% and why is it higher in some cases?

Your the Opening Poster😀

Tell me

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, deej said:

Your the Opening Poster😀

Tell me

I didn't claim it is overvalued, you did and you called that fact. Presumably you don't know and presumably you don't know the answer to the opening post either which makes me wonder why you bothered posting at all!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

They have got away with it for a long time.

The import duty on US goods is horrific

So the issue is unfair trade agreements and not currencies, is that what you're saying? If that's the case it sounds like all of ASEAN countries have unfair trade agreements with the US, hmmm, really!

Edited by saengd

1 minute ago, saengd said:

So the issue is unfair trade agreements and not currencies, is that what you're saying?

In this case I would say so

The currency manipulation is a different matter

3 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

In this case I would say so

The currency manipulation is a different matter

Sadly however this thread is about currency manipulation so can we park the rest of it and stay with the topic.....!

• Like 1

They now if go over the threshold can lose their duty free status wit the USA. Just one of the rules.

18 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?  If the US wanted Thailand to eliminate the trade imbalance, they'd want the THB to get even stronger to make Thai exports less competitive.  Is that what you're asking Trump to do?

Every time a TV genius mentions the THB and "manipulation," they demonstrate how little they understand basic economics. 

No, he could put higher tariffs on, like he was going to do a few months ago.

That would mean less sales in the US obviously as people would choose alternatives

And yes I do understand economics!

• Haha 1