Currency Manipulation

3 hours ago, saengd said:

Thailand is right on the edge of being labelled a currency manipulator because its current account surplus is approaching USD 20 bill., basically that means the value of Thailand exports is far more than its imports. There's no penalty for being included on this list and if they do join they'll be in good company, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore and China are also being monitored!

So the question is, for all you currency manipulator theorists, are all those countries really manipulating their currencies also, just like Thailand is supposedly doing, is all of SE Asia a currency manipulator?

No it has nothing to do with currency manipulation. That list is only something made up by the big home fries country called USA. They must have that so that they can have just another tool to adjust the world economy the way they want other countries to sell and buy products and services. just a pathetic list made up by a country with a big hubris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

Not on the monitor list. Only if you are branded a currency manipulator (as China was).

ADDED: Italy, Ireland, Switzerland are on the monitor list and their reputations don't really seem to have suffered from it.

It's easier to beat up or threaten a third world country than it is a Reserve Currency country such as Switzerland, that speaks volumes in itself.

1 minute ago, henry2109 said:

Labelled a manipulator by whom? The conman in the White House! You do not have to believe what he tells you, it is mostly not correct. He is confused because Thailand has a stronger export industry then the US.

The thai baht is strong, and it is for a reason: a) the trade surplus, b) the foreign currency reserves and c) the relativlely low state debt. I do not see a manipulation take place. The currency market is huge, and I would not know to manipulate it. 

However, even the thai officials got surprised by the extend of the strength of the baht, and they are making efforts to bring it back a little down, to more "normal" levels, since the export industries and tourism is suffering. This cannot be done just by talking it down, how some posters on this forum seem to believe. Its done by changes in the BOT policy, and also this might only bring small changes and may use time. As long as the thai baht is a freely convertible and as such tradable worldwide, it is the open market which makes the prize of the currency.

Except THB is not freely convertible, export of THB is very restricted and the amount that can be held by foreign banks is limited. That said, the FOREX market and the BOT do agree that the daily fixing rate is the same, otherwise an offshore market with a different rate would arise.

• Like 1

People need to step back and apply some basic rules of supply and demand, if there is a demand for something, the price goes up.

30 million tourists, anyone who buys a hard drive, anyone who buys a car made in Thailand, all creates a demand for Thai Baht.

Its the same principle that applies to bananas, if there is a demand, the price goes up.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

No, he could put higher tariffs on, like he was going to do a few months ago.

That would mean less sales in the US obviously as people would choose alternatives

And yes I do understand economics!

Thai exports 1-on-1

United States: $27.9 billion (11.2%)

I guess you are mixing up exports is USD with exports to the US... the latter is a 10% 'impact'

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Are all the payments made by farangs  to their"one and only" via western union come into the equation of Thailand's wealth?this is a serious question.

Good question. But I don't think there's as much of that as there used to be. Of course, there are also educated Thais working abroad sending money home. I'd heard that much of the Philippines's economy relies on overseas remittances, and I'm sure that affects the peso. I just don't think there's as much baht coming in that way to make much of a difference here.

Edited by Roy Baht

4 hours ago, saengd said:

Can I remind that this is about the potential for currency manipulation and not government, the strength of the Baht is under the control of the independent central bank.

Wrong. The BOT monitors the baht but the Finance Minister ( GOVERNMENT) has control over BOT. Watch the Bloomberg video taken 2 days ago with the THai Finance Minister and learn facts.

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Over valued - not according to the Forex traders and professionals it not. Or they'd all be selling and the baht would fall against the dollar and other currencies.

Your opinions aren't automatically facts.

When sh#t finally  hits the fan. the Thai Baht will  be dropped like a Hot Potatoe????

2 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

It is properly valued now based on current economic factors

From my laymans view. Those economic factors are made of Disneyland Stuff or to put it another way Rubber Figures

and in due course the Sh#t will hit the fan . A march was held over the weekend 

perhaps the start 

4 hours ago, kingdong said:

Are all the payments made by farangs  to their"one and only" via western union come into the equation of Thailand's wealth?this is a serious question.

It depends which currency you're sending that when it's received gets exchanged for Baht. If it's USD then yes, you're selling Dollars and buying Baht so you're causing the BBaht to strengthen. If any other currency then you're simply adding to the GDP under the heading, tourism.

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

You have oversimplified it. Lots of Thais would love to buy European products like BMW, Benz, Gucci, Armani etc. but they simply cannot afford to. The reason a lot of USA and European products are so expensive in Thailand is the import tax that the government puts on foreign products to protect the domestic market. For example 1.2 Million for a decent spec Harley Davidson, 3 Million for a low spec BMW, 700 Baht for a decent bottle of French wine. These products are 2 or 3 times the price that they cost in Europe or the USA due to the Thai government taxing them to the point that few ordinary Thais can afford them. It's simple protectionism. Nothing to do with Thai products being great and European/US products being bad.

So far Thailand has got away with heavily taxing imports but exporting with very little tax. If Trump suddenly decides he has had enough of this (as he did with China) and decides to reciprocate the taxes that Thailand puts on many US products then Thai exports could drop very quickly indeed. 

Except the US market only represents 12% of Thai exports, as shown earlier hence a part of me says, go ahead and tax what you want, it doesn't really matter.

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Wrong. The BOT monitors the baht but the Finance Minister ( GOVERNMENT) has control over BOT. Watch the Bloomberg video taken 2 days ago with the THai Finance Minister and learn facts.

Nope, regardless of what BB video's may say! Government makes policy that BOT operationalise, how they operationalise is at their discretion.

A few years ago the then government tried to influence the governor of BOT, Warrissa P., and tried to get their hands on the Foreign Currency Reserves. She said no, they said gimme and the highest power in the land came out publicly in support of Warrissa.

56 minutes ago, deej said:

From my laymans view. Those economic factors are made of Disneyland Stuff or to put it another way Rubber Figures

and in due course the Sh#t will hit the fan . A march was held over the weekend 

perhaps the start 

What factors, please demonstrate why and how they are "rubber figures". The trade surplus, the levels of the foreign currency reserves, the FDI, which and why? 

Edited by saengd
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, saengd said:

What factors, please demonstrate why and how they "rubber figures". The trade surplus, the levels of the foreign currency reserves, the FDI, which? 

Without the risk of repeating myself .iam just a layman but my view from  retiring here  near 20 yrs ago  the present Incumbents( in all phrases )are Doctor Of Spin 

even Blind Freddy  is aware how they reached their goal

of power. and the Thai Baht has followed in their footsteps

Edited by deej
  • Confused 1

It suits the military's book to have a strong baht so they can buy the tanks, submarines and helicopters they so desperately need. However, I doubt the baht is being manipulated, because currency speculators would be all over it like a rash.

Having said that, the real manipulation comes in the form of tariffs and customs duties. IMO Thailand is the most protectionist country on the planet.

11 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

I agree, baht is overvalued and They want more people to come and spend like crazy. Many tourists come here because cheap, tourists will choose somewhere when Thailand is no longer affordable.

You haven't read the thread, we can tell! ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?  If the US wanted Thailand to eliminate the trade imbalance, they'd want the THB to get even stronger to make Thai exports less competitive.  Is that what you're asking Trump to do?

Every time a TV genius mentions the THB and "manipulation," they demonstrate how little they understand basic economics. 

Agree. We've seen many posts about the fabled superior farang logic in other threads, but much of what's written in this thread demonstrates a total lack of logic.

It's difficult to try to even argue against the comments made in this thread since they are all over the place.

There would be no strategic reason for Thailand to manipulate the baht higher/stronger.   And to say this thread is about currency manipulation so we shouldn't bring trade or trade balances into the conversation boggles the mind.

As Lincoln once said: It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (or something along those lines).

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2