Liquid Diet

saengd

I've just started a liquid diet, my objective is to loose eight/ten kilo's and get my blood glucose levels down. It appears that the diet is working but I'm a little concerned that I might end up being vitamin or mineral deficiency as a result, here's the picture:

Age 70 and 87 kilo's, have a slow emptying stomach and GERD. My A1C is holding at 6.0 but I remain very bloated, a colonoscopy and gastroscopy shows nothing other than GERD. My diet historically has been well managed and healthy, no alcohol at all, minimal exercise when in Thailand, on statins and baby aspirin and pantoprazole. A recent abdominal ultrasound shows fatty liver which is believed to result from NASH.

My diet is now as follows:

Breakfast - oatmeal with almond milk.

Lunch - protein shake or clear soup.

Dinner - alternates daily between protein shake and salad.

My target is sub 900 calories per day.

Once a week I eat a normal meal for lunch such as grilled chicken or pork, potato veg. No snacks, drink only water.

Protein shakes vary and comprise whey protein powder isolate, almond milk, plain yogurt, 100% cocoa powder, banana or mango, peanut butter.

Is there anything I'm obviously missing in my diet or is there anything I should compensate for?

Fat - very little fat in this diet. 

Sodium - are you salting? 

NOt sure you are going to be sub 900 cals - also not sure this is a sensible idea for more than 1/2 days at a time. You can still get the benefits of very low cals by rotating your calorie intake, look at Lyle McDonald & his rapid weight loss strategy. 

Do you have TIA's or Parkinsons ?

Good that you are aiming at a meat free or reduced intake diet, thank you.

I put on a lot of weight, was 60kgs for years, worked in different countries since 1970's + 6 years of monthly flights to ASPAC etc. countries 48 hour days still 60kgs.

Note I have been vegetarian then vegan since 1972.

Came here to work full time multiple burn outs, got Parkinsons, weight went up to 86kgs.  After 8 years enough, cut back on my meds ( 20 a day down to one over 30 months ), started to loose weight, 21/2 years later I was down to 58kgs and have since held at that weight.

I eat a light breakfast often home made hummus with a good bread, small banana ( 1 or 2 ) and weak black coffee.

I eat a main meal around 12.30 - 1.30 if possible, not later than 2pm.   This will be organic rice, soy protein in various forms and green vegetable.    I make a simple chopped salad with a homemade dressing which includes chick pea powder ( a key protein sauce ).     If I eat out then I eat as near to a health meal s possible and strictly vegan.    Obviously eat raw fruits, some wild and some wild herbs.   Drink about 3 litre water a day, also home made chlorophyll drink from locally picked leaves.

I use Himalaya black salt.

I don't drink beer etc. or coke/sweet drinks or eat crisps or snacks.  If I treat myself to a special meal it would be, if I were in Bangkok, Lebanese food.   If I visit Khon Kaen it would be the Sizzler salad bar.

I colon detox regularly which helps with gas problems caused by the one and only med I am on.

Exercise is my twice weekly round trip walk of 8km to local market in town, daily simple floor exercise. A  3-5km walk in late afternoon/early evening but not with the current pollution levels.

I have to be aware of usable protein in my diet as I lost most of my body muscle following a stroke, too much exercise can start to loose muscle.

A liquid diet I would not recommend.

What almond milk do you drink? Homemade or store bought <deleted> like blue diamond? Because almond milk is terrible for my gerd (much worse rhan milk or even coffee) and I found out it's because they put a substance for almond milk to appear thicker and not taste like water. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brahmz said:

Eat this diet;

http://www.ibsexplained.com/a_simple_palaeo_diet.pdf

In Thailand choose fruit, raw milk, kefir, kefir cheese, black sesame seeds (ground and sprouted), salmon raw, clear soups, som tam & yum (no chili).

I like to keep things in life a lot more simple than that and no thanks, I'm not going to go with palaeo.

Everybody has a threshold, beyond which they burn calories (without exercise) and above which they accumulate fat. I'm in the process of finding where that threshold is by loosing weight on a 900 cal/day diet and by the end of the first week I'm 3 kilo's down. When I reach my target weight of 80 kilo's, a weight I know historically I don't store fat, I will start to reintroduce small amounts of solid foods more regularly but in a controlled way. 

The purpose of my original post was to see if anyone out there had any nutrition tips to avoid deficiencies, it seems nobody does so I've opted for a multi-vit. as a precaution. I'm really not interested in fad diet tips so the mods can feel free to lose this thread since it's served its purpose, many thanks for the well intentioned replies.

"Is there anything I'm obviously missing in my diet or is there anything I should compensate for?"

I would miss beer. What you intend to do is not a diet but a severe personal punishment. After you stop it you will need to eat "normally" again and then you might reward yourself with many calories. Better to change your food intake - reduce it and switch to food with less calories. 

• Like 1