Day five in hunt for callous gold shop robber: All the latest

webfact

Day five in hunt for callous gold shop robber: All the latest

1pm1.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Thai media continued to report extensively on every latest development in the hunt for the callous armed robber who shot and killed three people and injured four at the Aurora gold shop in Robinson's Lopburi last Thursday.

Daily News reported that police were checking hotels, resorts and curtain hotels in Ayuthaya and Singburi provinces adjoining Lopburi - believed to be the route taken by the shooter. 

Such establishments and CCTV are being checked for their guests before and after the robbery. 

Weight is still being given to the idea that the man has a military background and military leave in the area has been cancelled. 

Some 140 Yamaha Fino motorcycles across Lopburi are being checked. The robber is known to have escaped on a red and white motorcycle of this make. 

Spent cartridges used at military firing ranges in the area are being examined. 

Refuse lorries and dustmen are being checked and questioned in the hope that clothing may have been dumped. 

Sanook reported deputy police chief Pol Gen Suchart Theerasawat as saying that investigators were not disheartened by not having located the robber yet, they were concerned about fake news that was circulating about the arrest of the suspect. This was untrue.

Sanook reported there had been no checks on military camps. 

A total of 800,000 baht has been given to the victims and their families. 

Robinson's have given 100,000 baht to each of the families that lost a loved one and 50,000 baht to the injured while Central Group have donated 43,000 baht to each victim. 

Thai society has been shocked by the case, notes Thaivisa, due to the extreme violence and unusual modus operandi of the robber.

The choice of gun and silencer and the killing of innocent people including a two year old boy have prompted widespread calls for a quick arrest. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-14
  • Sad 1

Police find ‘important clue’ in Lopburi gold heist case

By THE NATION

800_12e22395fc578ff.jpg?v=1578968126

Investigators have discovered an important lead from the gun used in the Lopburi gold heist case, which could lead to the identification of the suspect who killed three people on January 9, police said.

Deputy National Police chief Pol General Suchart Theerasawat, speaking in his capacity as commander of the unit investigating the Lopburi gold heist case, said on Monday (January 13), that investigators had got some clues from the gun that was used for the crime.

According to a police report to the press, they have narrowed down the owners of the same gun type to 13 people -- two were in the military while 11 others were civilians.

Police were also investigating four shooting ranges in Lopburi for possible clues on the suspect, as well as working with mobile phone operators to track down signals that possibly came from the suspect’s phone during the robbery.

Lopburi Governor Suppakit Phothipaphaphan said that he has compiled the list of owners of the red-and-white Yamaha Fino motorcycle, the same make and model that the suspect had used, and submitted it to the police to help speed up the investigation.

Meanwhile, a news source who has military expertise, said that in his opinion the gunman in this case probably had extensive training in shooting and gun control, since a gun equipped with a silencer would be harder to control than normal guns and is more prone to jamming if the shooter is not experienced enough.

“However, it is not necessary that a man of this level of skill must be in the military or police force, as civilians can also develop these skills at gun ranges,” he said. “It is noteworthy that the gun used in this case is quite expensive, therefore the shooter may have good financial sources.”

Related Story: Three killed, four injured in Lopburi gold heist

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-14

note to self. Make own guns and ammo which is actually pretty easy and leave the phone at home.

Sure the guy will have made a mental note already and will ditch the gun and pretend it was stolen. Most thais know not to take phones because from stories i have heard which i assume would be common practice is the police can get this info on anyone anytine regardless of court orders. Just another way to watch the sometimes innocent like these stupid police boxes on every street corner. Purpose is watching and control. 

Actually surprised no one tried to follow this guy. I know i would atleast try from a safe a distance as possible or taken him out while riding by kicking his bars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Checks on military camps would be a massive loss of face but are absolutely essential. Incredulous that this hasn't been already done.

I think they have indicated that by saying the gun likely came from 'Lopburi, Bangkok or Chonburi' (Sattahip?)

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“It is noteworthy that the gun used in this case is quite expensive, therefore the shooter may have good financial sources.”

I deduce that theft was not the main reason.
Some members yesterday made the same assumption;
and that maybe we should look for the human side; so on the side of the family of the little girl who was killed ..
Do the police do it or not?

But five days without arrest seem to me very long in Thailand;
generally a murderer is very quickly found, which suggests that he is either a soldier or a police officer and as RotBenz8888 writes he will never be found, at least not alive.

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I am sure the robber has licensed the firearm, has a gun license etc. I just hope he has updated his address details so police can drop around.

He probably used his parents house book to register the gun, and he’s hiding in the shed there ????

If they think it"s related to anyone on a military basis, put some men

to check out who recently have been thrown out of the army, due

to some mishaps, or subordinance. If not, well, keep looking.

In cases like this, I DO believe they will find the <deleted>!

37 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

At least they re not blaming Farang , like earlier story

Police aren't but locals are, I think people don't want to accept 'one of their own' could do this.

Though, the more information that comes out the more it shows it is a Thai.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I am sure the robber has licensed the firearm, has a gun license etc. I just hope he has updated his address details so police can drop around.

Unlikely, but the individuals who hold the licenses could be asked to account for their firearms.  For those who no longer have them, then the police may be able to follow a trail to the gunman.  a remote possibility.