Why British dementia patients are being sent to Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, bannork said:

I'd rather stop living if I was in that state but I would be too far gone to know how to commit suicide. I guess the trick is to prepare whilst still compos mentis and then when you know you're losing it, take action. Light the charcoal brazier in the sealed car, drink the whisky and sit back.

Have thought along the same lines bannork, this after seeing a friend here die from Lou Gehrig's disease (a horrible death) and a group of us (his friends) did meet with him whilst he was still compos mentis and tried to find a way that he could self help his exit because it would be illegal for us to do it, however he got past the stage of being able to and, as I said, died a horrible death.

I've done a bit of research on the helium method, which is quick, painless and not messy, and I only hope that I'm in a fit state of mind to be able to buy a little container of helium, a small pipe and a plastic bag or bucket, to be able to carry this out!!

I suppose one could argue that I could depart this mortal coil laughing in a high voice!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

Unfortunately the economic reality of many Western countries compels and dictates that the majority must work. That has created a huge "business" in care for the elderly which also provides employment.

Dementia sufferers are often exceptionally difficult and high risk people. Family  members mostly do  care and as much as possible try to place family in the best facilities at great cost. Sadly that cost is increasing to unsustainable levels.

Also, where do you put Granny in a 2 or 3 bedroomed house with 2 kids? Granted they managed somehow in 18thc farmhouses but they are bigger.

48 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

Just drop them off in a mall, to wander around with a smart phone in hand ????

Yep, that's what they do. Hence most of the Brits in Thailand seem to have been dumped here owing to their dementia. Then they use those smart phones to post whinges and irrationality here on TVF. I say the UK gov't should put an end to this dumping! Take care of their own!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

In the case of my dad's dementia he was subject to very violent episodes, twice wrecking his bedroom and a bathroom when he was convinced that there were intruders in the house. He was eventually taken into care where he on occasion attacked staff. Sometimes it would take three or four strong men to restrain him. This was an 83 year old man who would quickly change from weak and frail to immensely strong and raging.

Anyone going through dementia either themselves or as a family member has my deepest sympathy as it's a terrible disease.

On the upside (for them) I'm told many of them lose all inhibitions and it's non-stop sex, sex, sex between the patients. In our "no sex without consent" times there are those married to someone with dementia who fear being charged with rape because they haven't got "informed consent"

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roy Baht said:

And after shunning their elderly parents, those same families in the West rush in after their parents' death to fight over money. Nobody wants responsibility but everybody wants reward.

Which of  course never  happens  in Thailand

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

On the upside (for them) I'm told many of them lose all inhibitions and it's non-stop sex, sex, sex between the patients. In our "no sex without consent" times there are those married to someone with dementia who fear being charged with rape because they haven't got "informed consent"

I think that is a side effect of a drug given to combat the illness.

I recall a similar case a year or so ago. My recollection:

A US family brought mum (mom) to CM because the treatment/care was cheaper than at home. They moved to Thailand also, but lived on one of the southern Islands a long way from her.

They came to the forum to loudly complain because Immigration wouldn't accept the paid hospital fees to be  part of her retirement extension financial criteria.

I believe they moved her to the Philippines, and they continued their life here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I think that is a side effect of a drug given to combat the illness.

I'm sure some of us would welcome you naming the drug in question. On the other hand dementia associations mention the issue without attributing it to any drug treatment - https://www.dementia.org.au/support-and-services/families-and-friends/personal-care/intimacy-and-sexual-issues

Edited by ThaiBunny

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

The slightest change in circumstances was very upsetting for him so can't imagine what shipping somebody half way around the world away from their family would do to a patient.

A hot summers day would be one hell of a shock to them!

3 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

And after shunning their elderly parents, those same families in the West rush in after their parents' death to fight over money. Nobody wants responsibility but everybody wants reward.

A sad comment on Western society - but true and spot on!

It used to be up to families to care for their elderly parents, grandparents, uncles, aunties; and save them from the hated and feared workhouse. That all changed as the state started to play a more prominent role in managing people's lives. Rightly or wrongly. The state became the provider of care for elderly people with a growth in state old people's homes and care homes. Now the burden on the state has increased so much, with it's financial implications, they can't cope. So, the state now pushes back pressuring families morally to care as they used to. There was some talk by one MP of legislation to force families to take responsibility for their old relatives, regardless of mental and physical issues. 

So shipping them overseas, with a one way ticket, to a low cost country (not sure Thailand will be considered that soon) is another solution.

In the UK NHS babies, children and the young are given priority. Old people, well, the government's had all they can out of them.

Isn't this covered by the NHS? I wasn't aware that relatives of people in NHS residential care and nursing homes were expected to contribute to costs. I know there's an issue about people's inheritances as the resident's own hard earned assets (including their house), will be taken to pay for the care, but that's not the argument used here, of "families struggling to meet the cost of care in the UK".

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You obviously have no idea what it is like to have a dementia sufferer as part of the family and what it can take to look after them.

My grandmother have it. I take care of her. I know.

And your experience?

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Why the family not take care each other? Nobody care?

Very sad.

There are around seven million carers in the UK.  dementia and Alzheimers are complex illnesses with many different stages some people can no longer be care for at Home as they require constant medical care

https://carers.org/key-facts-about-carers-and-people-they-care

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

There are around seven million carers in the UK.  dementia and Alzheimers are complex illnesses with many different stages some people can no longer be care for at Home as they require constant medical care

https://carers.org/key-facts-about-carers-and-people-they-care

Nevertheless, it is reprehensible that he British government is denying its own responsibility to its citizens and forcing their family to dump those afflicted into a third country. This will not go down well for anyone involved.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The NHS doesn't pay for day to day dementia care unless the patient is in a hospital

for other issues, it is generally local authorities who get the tab. The patients

themselves have to fund their own care if they have assets, including their homes

exceeding a certain threshold (£20,000 or there abouts)

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

Nevertheless, it is reprehensible that he British government is denying its own responsibility to its citizens and forcing their family to dump those afflicted into a third country. This will not go down well for anyone involved.

The UK government is not denying it's responsibility, neither is it "forcing anyone to dump those suffering from dementia" in any country, never mind third world countries.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Suggest you do more research as it not the British Government that is choosing Thailand for its care home facilities It is the person family likewise here an article about  a person from Switzerland sending her mother to Chang Mai in 2014

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2536580/The-families-sending-relatives-nursing-homes-THAILAND-Care-cheaper-better-Asia-say.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I recall a similar case a year or so ago. My recollection:

A US family brought mum (mom) to CM because the treatment/care was cheaper than at home. They moved to Thailand also, but lived on one of the southern Islands a long way from her.

They came to the forum to loudly complain because Immigration wouldn't accept the paid hospital fees to be  part of her retirement extension financial criteria.

I believe they moved her to the Philippines, and they continued their life here. 

If I remember they said it was a 3 rd of the cost for a Care Home in the Philippines, + everyone spoke English......

Wonder how it is all going ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Why the family not take care each other? Nobody care?

Very sad.

As the article says, struggling to meet the cost...

We were able to care for both my parents in their home but that eventually became impossible... even in a rural area of USA, but a nice quality alzheimer unit... it was $10,000 a month per person... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nausea said:

Isn't this covered by the NHS? I wasn't aware that relatives of people in NHS residential care and nursing homes were expected to contribute to costs. I know there's an issue about people's inheritances as the resident's own hard earned assets (including their house), will be taken to pay for the care, but that's not the argument used here, of "families struggling to meet the cost of care in the UK".

In the UK if you are assessed as having a ‘primary health need and you meet all the requirements to receive NHS Continuing Healthcare funding ( most people don't) then all costs will be covered by the NHS

https://caretobedifferent.co.uk/