Selling gold

EricTh

2 hours ago, meechai said:

If it is Thai gold (96.5%) then pretty much all gold shops offer same price per weight x spot price

Prices are usually posted outside most shops or on the wall

In Chiang Mai may as well go to the big guys at Warorot mkt etc

It is not Thai gold but 99 % gold (approx).

I'm curious too because I have some of the 99% jewelry purchased at Venus Jewelry on Wireless Rd in BKK 40yrs ago that needs to be traded in.  I'm in CM now & some gold shops tried to give less than the spot trade in value for the 96.5% variety.  The original selling shop (BKK - Wireless RD) suggested a trip to Chinatown in BKK.  I just haven't had the time to do it yet.

Edited by OneZero

9 minutes ago, OneZero said:

I'm curious too because I have some of the 99% jewelry purchased at Venus Jewelry on Wireless Rd in BKK 40yrs ago that needs to be traded in.  I'm in CM now & some gold shops tried to give less than the spot trade in value for the 96.5% variety.  The original selling shop (BKK - Wireless RD) suggested a trip to Chinatown in BKK.  I just haven't had the time to do it yet.

Does that mean that Chinatown in BKK would give the best price in Thailand for pure gold? 

It's easy to sell 96.5% gold in Chiangmai but not pure gold.

Edited by EricTh

11 hours ago, OneZero said:

Are you trying to trade it or sell it? Is it 99 or 96.5 or both?

Trying to sell 99 in Thailand is like trying to sell a chicken in a hog market.

link to a tool for gold jewelry value selling price

gold.yabz.com/jewelry.htm

, but I have my serious doubts your jewellery would be 99% , as it would be too soft for jewelry , as Thai 96% is already quit soft , that is why 18 karat is used in the west , I hope not your 99% sold to you is in real 96 % Thai gold as the shops would give you ….. could be the reason , as for bullion only they use the 999.9 mark 

250gramgoldbar.png

Edited by david555

6 minutes ago, tigerbeer said:

i sold mine at warorot corner shop opposite 7 11 and thought i got a fair price on it considering not needing to travel anywhere far to sell it. 

Yeh but they won’t be messing with you like some honkie.????

• Haha 1

A long time ago when I was far more foolish....I gave a woman X $  with a gold chain guarantee, which I wore around my neck like a peacock. My Thai male friends said "let's check it."  They threw it across a concrete floor and it bounced. Gold does not bounce. Plated gold metal bounces. I would do the concrete floor test first.....then an accurate gravity test, prior to selling. If we have not made mistakes....we haven't lived  ????

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

Does that mean that Chinatown in BKK would give the best price in Thailand for pure gold? 

It's easy to sell 96.5% gold in Chiangmai but not pure gold.

I believe that is what their suggestion to me implied.  Someday I'll head down there to find out.