Thai tourism: Free visa is the answer for yet more Chinese and Indians in 2020, minister

webfact

In less than 20 years Thailand will be part of China anyway .. just like Cambodia will be in 10 years .. 

you reap what you sowc

as for the Indians the locals would rather they weren’t here , as to what they get out of them financially..  example just this morning when I was trying to park my bike ( Pattaya ) they are arguing with a bath bus driver regarding the 10 bht travel cost , to go up the road .. insisting for that price and as there were 6 of them the driver should take them ‘ off route ‘ to their hotel ( I think that was the jist of it anyway ... 

• Like 2

Sounds like the exact same plan as 3 months ago..

Probably next month its all about the MICE visitors again which was the plan 6 month ago.

In 2 months time the new plan will be big spending first timers..Then how about The Norwegians Rinse repeat. Since expats are leaving than why would tourists be interested coming?

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Yinn you are right.

But the big difference is in the number of nights spent in the country,

Chinese and Indians come for four or five days, Malaysians and Singaporeans even less. Europeans are more likely to be here for two weeks or more. So you need three Chinese tourist to replace one visitor from Sweden in real terms. The Russians are the ones bucking this trend; they are long stayers..................but very low spenders.

Airbnb room numbers are tiny in comparison to hotel and guesthouse rooms. Yes, they have hit the hotel trade in a small way but it's not the reason many are struggling to fill rooms; that's down to what I said above: arrivals might be up but accommodation nights are definitely not.

Chinese average stay for a foreign holiday is 9.4 days according to their MOFA.

57 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Some place, like Pattaya, in industry area will pollution is less popular. 

but beautiful Kao Lak etc

Very true. Kao Lak and Natai are busy this season. Many French, German and Russian couples and families are seen there.

In Boat Lagoon the speedboat and powercat operators have adapted to the changed demographic and cater to the Russian and Chinese customers. There are even Russian and Ukrainian managers among the staff. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Gene1960 said:

Very true. Kao Lak and Natai are busy this season. Many French, German and Russian couples and families are seen there.

In Boat Lagoon the speedboat and powercat operators have adapted to the changed demographic and cater to the Russian and Chinese customers. There are even Russian and Ukrainian managers among the staff. 

Yes.

i go Khok Kloi (near Natai) yesterday. Caucasion and Chinese tourists so many. I never see like that in Khok Kloi before. Like a tourist town now.

A new airport coming soon also near Khoi kloi/Natai.

• Like 1

Another somewhat paradoxical matter with spending vis a vis tourists from rich countries vs. developing.

A middle class two-income US family probably does one maybe two foreign trips a year. They may mix it up with cruises, Europe, Asia, LatAm, etc. So they've got a budget for each trip.

On the other hand, for most middle-class Indians a foreign trip is something they've planned/dreamed/saved for years. Probably, once in a lifetime thing. So, they're here to blow their wad. And get on every selfie-worthy ride and their return baggage limit filled with whatever they can get their hands on.

It might not be surprising then that the average Indian spends more per day here than the average American.

And here it is the data which says China and South Asian tourists do outspend per day Europeans and Americans:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

Grasping at straws to try to get any tourist into Thailand.

Yesterdays dismal report regarding hotel bookings etc is a sign things have got to change more than free entry to view the same old rubbish.

It's like white washing the front door but when you step in nothings changed it's still 50's style!

• Like 1

Thailand gave Russians a visa waiver and that decision was responsible for the growth of the Russian mafia in Thailand. They should not make the same mistake with any other country. Free visa is not something you can walk back easily, once granted. You will lose control of who is inside your borders.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Tourist x2 in that time. 

So boring these “TVF Tourist not come to thailand anymore” stories.

39 million last year. Most ever. More people are staying Airbnb/ private villa.

So the big rich hotel owner complain a lot.

But the “small” people with a villa or condo now take the business.

IMO i like it.

Some place, like Pattaya, in industry area will pollution is less popular. 

but beautiful Kao Lak etc more busy. 

B4A82938-A877-4BAC-956F-EB5EF032E815.png

Yinn, there is no questioning that tourism has increased in their numbers. This has been caused by demographic changes, more people able to travel for much less, large countries allowing people to travel more freely, race/country specific targeting by TAT.

It is however a complete change in Thai tourism as to how to cater for the 'targeted' tourist, almost an entire new infrastructure to cater for the Chinese visitors and more recently another change for the increase in Indian visitors. On the flip side, the tourism of the western countries seems to have been ignored to a degree by TAT, no mention of incentives going that way it seems. Add to that the increase in reported incidents at the major air entry points regarding tourists being turned away/refused entry by IO's formatting rules on the fly, to me anyway it is apparent there is no coordination between immigration & the Thai tourist authority. On this point I understand that the majority of refusals is towards 'long stayers' gaming the system, but mixed stories, none of them good are being broadcast via the media blackening Thailand's eye towards even potential tourist numbers from the west.

I also recognize the strength of the Baht does not help. But these are only personal observations, my own views (even though they are indeed happening for all to see). TAT seem to be focusing too intently, not covering all their bets. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Why Me said:

And here it is the data which says China and South Asian tourists do outspend per day Europeans and Americans:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

And here is the quote that always needs to be done whenever somebody googles that old piece out:

How are these data gathered?
We honestly do not know, but they have been reported for many years. 

• Like 1