Thai tourism: Free visa is the answer for yet more Chinese and Indians in 2020, minister

webfact

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Ok Yinn lets see where your thinking is flawed. I bought a condo in Jomtien last year ( I American with Thai wife) While I was looking at some other condo's and waiting in lobby 6 Chinese  couples came in with Thai realter and bought 6 condo's cash(US dollars) They own the condos and advertise on Chinese sites so those  Chinese visiting in Thailand don't go to hotels or rent condo's from Thai they rent from Chinese who own property here. Thai get no money.

They got got money for six condo right? 

That one example.

You think no Thais own food/pool villa rent with agent and Airbnb? You wrong.

In USA , EU clubs are open late 2 AM or later. Pattaya and Bangkok used to be that way. Now with early closing times foreign tourists will go somewhere with out the restrictive attitude Thailand now has.

39 come million last year. 

The Chinese and Indians really don't go to clubs that much or spend money on bar girls. Sorry they have to make a living to and without sexpats from EU,Rusiia, US they will not be making much money. 

No sexpats in thailand is good IMO. I prefer the Indian and Chinese families come.

Not the desperation sex guys. They should try dating. 

The bar girls can get another job. 

Chinese spend money on food, accommodation, shopping and tours. Not sex workers. Not need.

Plus you say oh if Pattaya Beach dirty they will go to more remote island to enjoy nice water beach. For how long before those areas are over run become dirty and closed like PhiPhi Island's Maya Bay.

Pattaya is dirty. Dirty air, fecal in the sea, rubbish everywhere. If you not believe, up to you. I read the news.

when will Pattaya close? Don’t think so. 

6 hours ago, BRUFC said:

Hi Yinn, Whilst I admire your efforts to defend the Thai nation,

I am not defending the thai nation. 

Just say that the thai tourism industry is very successful. Some places, like Pattaya might be less busy, but other places, eg Kao Lak is more busy.

Everytime TVF have thai tourism story some members say “but in my bar have no customer now”. Say it so much, you believe it. 

Just imagination. Where the statistic? Not have right?

The farang sex bar more quiet. I believe you. But the tour bus more busy now. (Because Chinese)

Have more Chinese tourist than ALL the Europe countrys now.

6 hours ago, BRUFC said:

have you ever stopped and wondered where these figure come from? 

Where you from? 

Your country know how many tourist travel to Thailand every year right? 

Land that is the same number show as “inbound” to Thailand every year. 

I agree, generally speaking, farang tourist stay longer than Chinese/Korean/Malaysian. 

But Chinese generally speaking, spend more per day. Shopping and tour. Farang sit the beach or resort pool.

Is the TVF imagination tourist is down. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Tourist x2 in that time. 

So boring these “TVF Tourist not come to thailand anymore” stories.

39 million last year. Most ever. More people are staying Airbnb/ private villa.

So the big rich hotel owner complain a lot.

But the “small” people with a villa or condo now take the business.

IMO i like it.

Some place, like Pattaya, in industry area will pollution is less popular. 

but beautiful Kao Lak etc more busy. 

B4A82938-A877-4BAC-956F-EB5EF032E815.png

So if tourist numbers are so wonderful , why the need to scrap visas ?

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That's true, however .. every disgruntled returnee or disappointed tourist will preach the gospel of "don't bother going" to anyone in the vicinity. That's what Thais don't seem to understand. Slowly but surely Thailand is getting a reputation as inhospitable, expensive gnawed bone. There comes a point when it goes viral and then it's instant game over.

I made this point to someone very senior in the Thai heirachy - he got it that grumpy old men would go back to the UK and spend the rainy afternoons writing letters to their Euro MP pointing out that GSP privileges were a Benz subsidy for the middleman etc, that websites with names like donttrustthailand.com would appear etc etc. The key point is that at the time Europe/USA were major destinations for Thai exports and tourists were from there. Attitudes have changed because they don't need to be nice anymore - EU/USA is much less of an exports destination, tourism from there is overshadowed by China. They quite simply don't feel the need to be nice to us as they are not getting money from us like they used to.

10 hours ago, dallen52 said:

what the Chinese spend going out at the duty frees, it's scary.

Possibly around the 20,000 mark easily. 

XO cognac and similar luxury items. 

When I saw the massive expansion of Thai shopping centres I thought Management were out of their minds. Turns out they knew exactly what they were doing - by coincidence or otherwise  the tourist boom was from countries with very little consumer choice - India, Middle East- they buy things - they can 't believe the consumer choice in Thailand. Call the Indians cheapskates and at one level they are, but they are buying flat screen TV's here and carrying them back. Arabs usually have bags of goods they have bought in their hands. See how full their (and Indians) trollies are in the supermarkets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Part of what you say here is showing up in the condos in Pattaya. 

Many have been sold recently by European and UK owners at sacrifice prices. Like 500k baht.

Some (about 50%) are empty and deserted by the owners, who have not bothered to come back, even leaving furniture and bikes here.

The Chinese are snapping up these and we see many Chinese tourists here now. 

Others have become low cost thai family occupation.

• Like 1

If my TGF visits any Asean country she gets in free whilst I pay.  So do the millions of Chinese/Indians pay at the moment to holiday in this earthly paradise?

If they do and these fees are to be scrapped next year that sounds like a couple of submarines-worth of dosh forfeited.

14 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Ok Yinn lets see where your thinking is flawed. I bought a condo in Jomtien last year ( I American with Thai wife) While I was looking at some other condo's and waiting in lobby 6 Chinese  couples came in with Thai realter and bought 6 condo's cash(US dollars) They own the condos and advertise on Chinese sites so those  Chinese visiting in Thailand don't go to hotels or rent condo's from Thai they rent from Chinese who own property here. Thai get no money.

In USA , EU clubs are open late 2 AM or later. Pattaya and Bangkok used to be that way. Now with early closing times foreign tourists will go somewhere with out the restrictive attitude Thailand now has. The Chinese and Indians really don't go to clubs that much or spend money on bar girls. Sorry they have to make a living to and without sexpats from EU,Rusiia, US they will not be making much money. 

Plus you say oh if Pattaya Beach dirty they will go to more remote island to enjoy nice water beach. For how long before those areas are over run become dirty and closed like PhiPhi Island's Maya Bay.

So these Chinese spend their entire holiday in the condo, don't eat, shop, visit anywhere?

Let's see where your thinking is flawed. Also there are charges for condo management which go to the Thais. so even if they didn't venture out there is still money flowing to the Thais.

The Indian clubs in Pattaya are full every night, the Chinese not so much as they tend to come in family groups or couples. The Chinese come for food, temples and shopping. They also have an ingrained fear of ladyboys but check any karaoke and you'll find them in there drinking to a standstill.

This idea of 'they don't do it like us, so they don't do it all' is simply wrong headed.

It's up to the Thais to maintain the beaches. Every public beach in the world would become dirty if the local authorities didn't maintain them and if they're chasing numbers, they'll have to.

How does a free visa attract a billionaire Indian or Chinese tourist?

If you do the math you will find that 9.2 billion baht divided by 2.2 million Indian tourists staying for 14 days each on the free visa comes to an average daily spend of approximately 300 baht.  For Chinese it comes to approximately 3600 baht per day.

About what I expected!

So for the first time I think immigration accidentally told the truth!

15 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Because of the competition from Malaysia:

One year visa exclusion for Chinese, Indian tourists

Many years back, Chinese tourists may enter Malaysia without visas, and at that time, Malaysia's total tourist numbers were higher than Thailand's. But the Sinophobic Malay-dominated government back then scrapped the visa exemption because many Chinese tourists were overstaying. Chinese tourists like Malaysia a lot because the ethnic Chinese locals can speak Mandarin and many Chinese dialects.

4 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

How does a free visa attract a billionaire Indian or Chinese tourist?

If you do the math you will find that 9.2 billion baht divided by 2.2 million Indian tourists staying for 14 days each on the free visa comes to an average daily spend of approximately 300 baht.  For Chinese it comes to approximately 3600 baht per day.

About what I expected!

So for the first time I think immigration accidentally told the truth!

Billionaires don't fly into Suvarnabumi and queue up with the hoi poloi for VOA. They have lackeys who do all their organisation. Its a world you never see.

Who said they stay 14 days? The Chinese average stay on holiday is 9.4 days. Indian average stay (my guess) is long weekend or 4 days. These are short haul holidays. It takes me five hours from door to door from China into Bangkok.

So TAT didn't say anything of the kind. You did.

Edited by Traubert
correction

"The outlook for 2020 according to the minister is even rosier. He thinks that 11.5 to 12 million Chinese will come spending up to 600 billion baht - up from last year's 550 billion. 
Indian arrivals are expected to be 2.2 million and their total spend is expected to rise from 8.5 billion to 9.2 billion in 2020."

Average Chinese spend 600billion(baht) / 12million = 50,000(baht) = $1,650

Average Indian spend    9.2billion(baht) / 2.2million =   4,200(baht) = $138

The Indians are clearly negotiating some great deals. Or should we question the figures?

"Thaivisa notes that this report compared starkly with one yesterday from the Thai hoteliers' association that predicted a tough 2020 for Thai tourism. "

The number of shop premises in Chiang Mai Night Bazaar and nearby streets that are empty, and the number that have closed in the last month, are scary indicators of the slump in tourist spending here.

Outrageous !

Racism at its very best!

All other foreign natinals plus thier respective governments should protest at this obvious racial slur!

Do Indian and Chiness invest in the same way or even that much? Do they really help support local communities? Do they do what other nationals do for Thai? I think not! They are very similar to Thai and are very TIGHT!

Many foreginers, not Chinese or Indian, over many decades have spent collectively billions of worthless Baht in a very racist, norrow minded, greedy, extortionate and fraudulant country,  and in the process helped to support millions of deprived, poor, indoctrinated Thai nationals enduring the daily and persistant racist remarks plus mental abuse as well as the never ending kicking of sand into their faces to now read this unjust, typically ungreatful Thai mind-set, fxxk you FARANG  attitude.

WHEN INDIAN AND CHINESE HAVE DRAINED THAILAND AND GIVEN UP ON THAI, THAI WILL NO DOUBT TURN BACK TO THE VERY  FARANG THEY PUSHED TO ONE SIDE, THE FARANG THAT HELPED THAILAND TO GROW, IN TYPICAL  SWEET-MOUTH THAI FASHIONED MENTALITY.

I'M IN HOPE THAT BY THAT TIME, MANY FARANG WOULD HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT AND GIVEN UP ON SUCH A DISPICABLE RACIST COUNTRY.

Disgraceful. Insulting. 

T.I XXXX you over T!