BANGKOK
webfact

Thai tourism: Free visa is the answer for yet more Chinese and Indians in 2020, minister

How does a free visa attract a billionaire Indian or Chinese tourist?

If you do the math you will find that 9.2 billion baht divided by 2.2 million Indian tourists staying for 14 days each on the free visa comes to an average daily spend of approximately 300 baht.  For Chinese it comes to approximately 3600 baht per day.

About what I expected!

So for the first time I think immigration accidentally told the truth!

15 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

So if tourist numbers are so wonderful , why the need to scrap visas ?

Because of the competition from Malaysia:

One year visa exclusion for Chinese, Indian tourists

Many years back, Chinese tourists may enter Malaysia without visas, and at that time, Malaysia's total tourist numbers were higher than Thailand's. But the Sinophobic Malay-dominated government back then scrapped the visa exemption because many Chinese tourists were overstaying. Chinese tourists like Malaysia a lot because the ethnic Chinese locals can speak Mandarin and many Chinese dialects.

19 hours ago, DJ54 said:

How do they come up with money spent per nationality...

Currency exchange.

Yuan/RMB - baht / tourists.

Rupee -baht / tourists

Not an exact science but close enough for jazz.

4 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

How does a free visa attract a billionaire Indian or Chinese tourist?

If you do the math you will find that 9.2 billion baht divided by 2.2 million Indian tourists staying for 14 days each on the free visa comes to an average daily spend of approximately 300 baht.  For Chinese it comes to approximately 3600 baht per day.

About what I expected!

So for the first time I think immigration accidentally told the truth!

Billionaires don't fly into Suvarnabumi and queue up with the hoi poloi for VOA. They have lackeys who do all their organisation. Its a world you never see.

Who said they stay 14 days? The Chinese average stay on holiday is 9.4 days. Indian average stay (my guess) is long weekend or 4 days. These are short haul holidays. It takes me five hours from door to door from China into Bangkok.

So TAT didn't say anything of the kind. You did.

Edited by Traubert
correction

"The outlook for 2020 according to the minister is even rosier. He thinks that 11.5 to 12 million Chinese will come spending up to 600 billion baht - up from last year's 550 billion. 
Indian arrivals are expected to be 2.2 million and their total spend is expected to rise from 8.5 billion to 9.2 billion in 2020."

Average Chinese spend 600billion(baht) / 12million = 50,000(baht) = $1,650

Average Indian spend    9.2billion(baht) / 2.2million =   4,200(baht) = $138

The Indians are clearly negotiating some great deals. Or should we question the figures?

"Thaivisa notes that this report compared starkly with one yesterday from the Thai hoteliers' association that predicted a tough 2020 for Thai tourism. "

The number of shop premises in Chiang Mai Night Bazaar and nearby streets that are empty, and the number that have closed in the last month, are scary indicators of the slump in tourist spending here.

Outrageous !

Racism at its very best!

All other foreign natinals plus thier respective governments should protest at this obvious racial slur!

Do Indian and Chiness invest in the same way or even that much? Do they really help support local communities? Do they do what other nationals do for Thai? I think not! They are very similar to Thai and are very TIGHT!

Many foreginers, not Chinese or Indian, over many decades have spent collectively billions of worthless Baht in a very racist, norrow minded, greedy, extortionate and fraudulant country,  and in the process helped to support millions of deprived, poor, indoctrinated Thai nationals enduring the daily and persistant racist remarks plus mental abuse as well as the never ending kicking of sand into their faces to now read this unjust, typically ungreatful Thai mind-set, fxxk you FARANG  attitude.

WHEN INDIAN AND CHINESE HAVE DRAINED THAILAND AND GIVEN UP ON THAI, THAI WILL NO DOUBT TURN BACK TO THE VERY  FARANG THEY PUSHED TO ONE SIDE, THE FARANG THAT HELPED THAILAND TO GROW, IN TYPICAL  SWEET-MOUTH THAI FASHIONED MENTALITY.

I'M IN HOPE THAT BY THAT TIME, MANY FARANG WOULD HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT AND GIVEN UP ON SUCH A DISPICABLE RACIST COUNTRY.

Disgraceful. Insulting. 

T.I XXXX you over T!