Non O, 1 year, father of thai child : report from Penang

I was under the impression you did it from Penang no 400k in the bank required? What is the benefit of doing a child visa in Penang as opposed to in Thailand other than you do not have to prove legitimacy of the child (other than a birth certificate) if you are not married to the child's mother?

Was it a 1 year visa or multiple entry Ie need leave the country every 3 months

I find Penang a nicer trip than to savannakhet as it's more developed.

Even though I often have the cash available I still go to Laos.

I remember a year or 2 ago the embassy in Penang put a cap on the number of applications they process a day or something.

So based on that it seems quite a gamble to go there if they might just tell you to come back another day.

I do wonder if I understood that correctly but from memory it didn't specify what type of visas or if all were capped. Could be wrong?

33 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

I find Penang a nicer trip than to savannakhet as it's more developed.

Even though I often have the cash available I still go to Laos.

I remember a year or 2 ago the embassy in Penang put a cap on the number of applications they process a day or something.

So based on that it seems quite a gamble to go there if they might just tell you to come back another day.

I do wonder if I understood that correctly but from memory it didn't specify what type of visas or if all were capped. Could be wrong?

I still dont see the benefit of ME visa for a child. So expensive even going to Laos. Why wouldnt you just get a 1 year extensin in Thailand based on having a child?

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I still dont see the benefit of ME visa for a child. So expensive even going to Laos. Why wouldnt you just get a 1 year extensin in Thailand based on having a child?

He may not qualify for the extension of stay due not being the legal parent of his child by marriage or legitimization of his parenthood.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I asked exactly the same question to members going abroad to get a multiple non O visa based on marriage (similar to have a Thai child)...and I am still waiting for an answer...

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I asked exactly the same question to members going abroad to get a multiple non O visa based on marriage (similar to have a Thai child)...and I am still waiting for an answer...

Not all fathers is retired or married.Many of us is actually working abroad and to have an extension instead of a multi entry is just stupid in the first place.

Edited by Odin Norway

HI

At Penang can you use the monthly income method of 40,000 per month to apply for a NON -O for Thai child? You need to have copies showing the 12 months of 40,000 right ( Bank Statment )  Then if you get it you have to do border runs every 90 days is that correct?  Thank you for your replies. Jasper

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

not legalized, exploring neighboring countries, plan B
freedom

33 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

not legalized, exploring neighboring countries, plan B
freedom

You messed up the quote. I did not write that.

This is correct.

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

You have to go back to the original post that was quoted or it shows the person that did the post.

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

(apologies for my late answers)

Because :

-i'm not maried

-i'm under 50 years old

-and my son is still too young (just 4 years old) to do all the "the legitimation of a child" process stuff (justice)

... So it's a little bit like a "grey area".

This is why the Penang way is perfect for me.

But I have to admit that perhaps it would be possible to do an extension in Thailand... But i really think they would ask for the "legitimation" papers.

So since the Penang way is working fine, I didn't want to experiment and take the risk to get a refusal. ????

For the moment, and because i travel quite often, this visa makes my day (no problem with the need to exit Thailand after maximum 3 months).

But of course, I won't do that forever. I will switch after to a "retirement visa" (extension).

As for the question about the "monthly income" way (40 000 per month), I've got no idea, I've never asked. But since I do it with Jim, it has always been 400 000 THB in the bank.

Edited by christophe75
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

The issue sometimes is a rogue local immigration office that imposes conditions that make it almost impossible to get the extension. Some reliable members have described this experience.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:46 AM, Brunolem said:

I hav e been doing Savanhket and HCMC o visa marriage multiple reentry for the last 6 years

Because it is easy 

not have to deal with local immigration office

Have a trip away once every 15 months and the 90 day border run is a 1 hour trip

Did extionsion way once and the wanting of graft peed me and the wife off

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 8:09 AM, Kenny202 said:

One of my pals tried it in CM, after 10 trips to CM immigration he still hadn't got it, and was almost suicidal.

It might be easy if you live in another immigration district, but I'm not trying it here in Chiang Mai.

I'm OK with frequent holidays to Vietnam, I'm not that worried about spending money, and I haven't seen everything there yet.