Eight British tourists injured in Pattaya van crash

webfact

12 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

It's amazing how people will spend 5-10k on a night out but penny pinch on transportation.

I haven't been on one of those death buses for years 

Me neither, and it took me the comment about seat belts to realize this. They never used to have them. I would be interested to hear one of the passenger's comments as to the driving style. I use a taxi and sometimes have to complain about speed and phone use. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saengd said:

That driver had no idea how to control a skid, he'd be hopeless on snow or ice, if he'd turned into the skid he could probably have retained control.....it's a training thing..

Throw in the fact that it's very likely the tyres tend to be over inflated in many cases and checked using the standard pressure checker ( attached )

blow-outs are quite common.

17929111-old-boot.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Throw in the fact that it's very likely the tyres tend to be over inflated in many cases and checked using the standard pressure checker ( attached )

17929111-old-boot.jpg

Amazingly that's a picture of a Hanwag hiking boot from the 1990's, I know because I have a pair. They are one of the best quality hiking boots made anywhere in the world.

16 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

speeding on bald tires.  Never a good idea

and over-inflated tires as usual.
The manufacturer data Isuzu says 29 PSI for the four wheels of my pickup;
well even at the isuzu dealer I have to check that they do not put me 40 PSI as they have very bad habit everywhere .

They were lucky (in their misfortune);
burst rear tire it looks like this on a pickup that was, in my opinion, overloaded (as usual) 

891229616_P9051088_rd_22_accident_pickup(Copy).thumb.JPG.497dbe83e7ef36b1470f9faf15a2d0c6.JPG

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Whenever I have a new tyre or repair here it gets inflated to rock hard, 55 psi. One time it even blew my pressure gauge apart. I have learned to let the air out... so you may have a point there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, saengd said:

I disagree! If he'd blown a front tyre I might agree.

Why do you disagree with logic? Don’t you think a rear tire provides traction on a curve? And did you notice how quickly the van spun out of control after the tire blew? I’m not sure Mario Andretti would have recovered.

• Like 1

Looks like a blowout to me. This leaves several questions that need answering, primarily among them, what kind of shape was the tire in? Were all the tires the same with the same tread wear? Was that tire the replacement after a flat? Was that tire damaged somehow, from hitting a curb for example? Was the rim of that tire damaged somehow, from hitting curb for example? Had the driver had any training whatsoever in defensive driving? (That's rhetorical) Was the driver tired after having been driving for too long? Was he using his phone at the time? Had he been drinking? Was he on drugs? Was his mind preoccupied because his mia noi is pregnant and threatened to call his wife? And on and on.......

4 people thrown from the van and all get up and walk around. Very lucky indeed.

Not how you want to start your holiday for sure.

As for the minivan, I thought those were banned awhile ago ?

As for the tourists using that method to get to Pattaya, it is quite likely that they didn't know any better, or know of any other options, or possible the trip was arranged for them and they simply went where they were told to go.

39 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

False.

At that speed he was metal on roadway.

One cannot reset control of that size/weight van.

Agree. Correcting a slide like that would require 4 good tyres still in contact with the road and even then teaching any driver anywhere to stop the first reaction of stomping on the brake ( or break as it's often called on TV ) would take a lot of training on a custom skid pan.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

I blame the guy who sold the driver the wrong amulets.

Most van drivers can't afford the real thing hence the high rate of accidents with the fake or copies. So ask the driver whether their amulet is real - when they inevitably laugh get out as the van is undoubtedly unsafe. 

https://www.phrasiam.com/article/the-most-famous-amulet-and-the-most-expensive-amulet-in-thailand/

This amulet is a perfect fit for those who want an invisible protection from what they can see and what they cannot see at all times. This is why the price of an authentic LP. Thuad is one of the highest in Thailand as the amulet has saved many, where without LP. Thuad amulets those people would not be able to tell the tales that we hear today.

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Whenever I have a new tyre or repair here it gets inflated to rock hard, 55 psi. One time it even blew my pressure gauge apart. I have learned to let the air out... so you may have a point there. 

I've picked up my car from servicing a couple of times and always use my own gauge on the tyres. Usually anything from 35 to 40 psi in them. 28/30 being the stated values in the book.

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Welcome to Thailand get well soon

Hope your visa is longer than your stay in hospital and you have adequate funds to cover your medical bills before your flight home. 

Come back soon.... bring friends!

Condolences to the injured.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

and over-inflated tires as usual.
The manufacturer data Isuzu says 29 PSI for the four wheels of my pickup;
well even at the isuzu dealer I have to check that they do not put me 40 PSI as they have very bad habit everywhere .

They were lucky (in their misfortune);
burst rear tire it looks like this on a pickup that was, in my opinion, overloaded (as usual) 

891229616_P9051088_rd_22_accident_pickup(Copy).thumb.JPG.497dbe83e7ef36b1470f9faf15a2d0c6.JPG

I agree. Every time my Honda Civic comes back from a service at Honda, the first thing I do is reduce the tyre pressure from 40 psi to the recommended 32. I've asked them not to over inflate the tyres but just the usual blank look and smile.

• Like 1