Eight British tourists injured in Pattaya van crash

webfact

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

Why do you disagree with logic? Don’t you think a rear tire provides traction on a curve? And did you notice how quickly the van spun out of control after the tire blew? I’m not sure Mario Andretti would have recovered.

A skid is all about controlling the direction of travel and this is managed by a combination of the steering via the front wheels and momentum. If the back end starts to slide and you don't correct the slide the momentum increases and the result is what you see on the video. But when the slide begins the driver turns into the skid the momentum is arrested, the direction of travel is corrected. Anyone who has lived and driven in North America/Canada or Northern Europe and driven in freezing conditions will know this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had my right front tire blown in 2010 due to a piece of metal that was on the autobahn at night. The blow took a quarter of the rim with it. I was only doing 220 - 230 km/h on the German autobahn.

You never ever brake or shift to another gear when a tire blows. Use the clutch and just let the car roll out. If I would have used the brakes or shifted down, I wouldn't be here to tell you al this. I am an experienced driver with years in the Renault Cup, Porsche Cup, Quote Challenge and Dakar.

In the vdo on page 2 you can clearly see the tire is blown between seconds 5 and 6. Between second 7 and 8 the van swerves, probably the driver hit the brakes.

Edited by Tops
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tops said:

I had my right front tire blown in 2010 due to a piece of metal that was on the autobahn at night. The blow took a quarter of the rim with it. I was only doing 220 - 230 km/h on the German autobahn.

You never ever brake or shift to another gear when a tire blows. Use the clutch and just let the car roll out. If I would have used the brakes or shifted down, I wouldn't be here to tell you al this.

What about for vehicles that do not have a clutch ?

4 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

I enjoy the look on other Thai passengers in a van or bus when I am the only one belted.

Seat belts are quite often deliberately out of reach & some aren't long enough for taller/larger people targeted by van operators.

• Like 1

In one of the videos you can see that at least one of the double seats  was ripped straight out of the back of the van maybe with the passengers strapped onto it !!

Also in the video the medic says that at least one of the passengers is in critical condition...are there any updates on the 3 badly injured ?

5 hours ago, Cereal said:

Looks like a blowout to me. This leaves several questions that need answering, primarily among them, what kind of shape was the tire in? Were all the tires the same with the same tread wear? Was that tire the replacement after a flat? Was that tire damaged somehow, from hitting a curb for example? Was the rim of that tire damaged somehow, from hitting curb for example? Had the driver had any training whatsoever in defensive driving? (That's rhetorical) Was the driver tired after having been driving for too long? Was he using his phone at the time? Had he been drinking? Was he on drugs? Was his mind preoccupied because his mia noi is pregnant and threatened to call his wife? And on and on.......

You think too mut :jap: ( much in english )

3 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

if passengers had HEALTH INSURANCE it should/would pay for treatment .....and I SAID IF .......

In a civilized country which is apparently not the case of Thailand, it is at fault to pay the costs incurred;
therefore to the insurance of the minivan or in the absence of insurance which is very often the case, to the owner of the van.

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I feel confident that all the medical , compensation and potential immigration bills will be adequately insured , covered and paid by the taxi company. I believe the moon is made of cheese too

They only need 8 Brands Essence of Chicken gift baskets from Big C.

Sorted.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, johng said:

In one of the videos you can see that at least one of the double seats  was ripped straight out of the back of the van maybe with the passengers strapped onto it !!

Also in the video the medic says that at least one of the passengers is in critical condition...are there any updates on the 3 badly injured ?

I watched the video several times; it is very far; in fact i guess what happened ..
I guess with my great driving experience, about 6 million km on all roads in Europe for 40 years.
IMHO:  micro-sleep and speed may not be too high but in a big curve.
The tire was blown during an impact, but this is not the cause of the accident.
the last bench which is often removed enough to allow large suitcases has certainly not been reinstalled correctly; we can clearly see it coming out of the back of the van with the passengers who are seated on it but not attached because they are going in all directions, otherwise they would have remained attached to it.

On this subject, I do not understand that the minibuses which do not have a gallery on the roof have a last bench which prevents from putting more than 3 or 4 small suitcases;
or if there are 8 passengers with large suitcases, they will put them or?

And we always come back to the question without answer;
Why  vehicles over 3t5 and all public passenger vehicles don't have a tachograph?
It is still something other than a GPS which can only prove one thing: the location of a vehicle;
it can't even be used to control its absolute speed;
only its average speed because if it stops the speed drops to zero but "O time suspend your flight" exists only in a poem by Lamartine.

They are lucky to be alive! 

I always tell my friends never hire a mini van !  Take the VIP bus from the airport to Jomtien, 134 baht and much safer.  Never been an accident with the bus company. 

Unfortunately new tourists to Thailand are not warned, they could have Googled mini vans and Thailand , that would have changed their mind, 

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

I watched the video several times; it is very far; in fact i guess what happened ..
I guess with my great driving experience, about 6 million km on all roads in Europe for 40 years.
IMHO:  micro-sleep and speed may not be too high but in a big curve.
The tire was blown during an impact, but this is not the cause of the accident.
the last bench which is often removed enough to allow large suitcases has certainly not been reinstalled correctly; we can clearly see it coming out of the back of the van with the passengers who are seated on it but not attached because they are going in all directions, otherwise they would have remained attached to it.

On this subject, I do not understand that the minibuses which do not have a gallery on the roof have a last bench which prevents from putting more than 3 or 4 small suitcases;
or if there are 8 passengers with large suitcases, they will put them or?

And we always come back to the question without answer;
Why  vehicles over 3t5 and all public passenger vehicles don't have a tachograph?
It is still something other than a GPS which can only prove one thing: the location of a vehicle;
it can't even be used to control its absolute speed;
only its average speed because if it stops the speed drops to zero but "O time suspend your flight" exists only in a poem by Lamartine.

Where's the video showing the accident?

i see the plate is white which i think means won't have the correct insurance etc