BANGKOK
manchega

Where in Asia can I find Good Air? AQI less than 50

As I read the forum and speak to others about air quality I was hoping for collective intelligence to provide some idea for better quality air locations in Asia, Indonesia appears to be a building site, the only decent parts foreigners are not allowed to go Much of Malaysia is polluted worse than Thailand and the government does not address it other than to provide false AQI,

So where can one move in Asia to get good air? 

mods - This is not a topic about current pollution levels it is about obtaining info from members on where in Asia is good

What's your source on the falsified Malaysia AQI data? I've lived off and on in KL for years, and aside from Sumatran fires now and then the air quality usually matches the low readings.

• Like 1

Vietnam is very green AQI at the moment

Edited by ianezy0
  • Thanks 2

Oceans are your best bet for obvious reasons. The more surrounding you the better. Indonesia, phillipines, taiwan, east vietnam.

Southern Thailand is generally good, certainly better than Bangkok/Central Thailand. Barring the occasional appearance of the Sumatran Haze, which doesn't often get this far north, AQI is usually 50 or less. In my part of Hat Yai the PM2.5 reading is currently 7ug/mor an AQI of 29. 

Not sure why you doubt the Malaysian readings, I lived in Malaysia for several years and still visit often, sure like Singapore they can be affected by the smoke from Indonesia, but most of the time the air quality is pretty good, even in KL.

28 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Vietnam is very green AQI at the moment

south doesn't look to bad but north? is that Hanoi at 210?

Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 5.41.58 PM.png

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

south doesn't look to bad but north? is that Hanoi at 210?

Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 5.41.58 PM.png

Vietnams air is in general no better than Thailand, the coast can be compared with phuket and co - cities are horrible. Same for pretty much everything, even singapore has horrible air at times. Usually the further south you go aka south thailand and malaysia is the best place for ok air. 

But compared to europe, lisbon for example... air is just not good here.

I’m often surprise at how many of the European cities fare worse than Bangkok at various times of the year... 

Few places consistently have great AQI, those am that do seem to be colder for longer periods of the year (not a scientific opinion, just a crappy observation based on glances at the AQI map over the past year)

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m often surprise at how many of the European cities fare worse than Bangkok at various times of the year... 

Few places consistently have great AQI, those am that do seem to be colder for longer periods of the year (not a scientific opinion, just a crappy observation based on glances at the AQI map over the past year)

Yes you really need to pick the good ones like Lisbon, i think the way the wind is hitting it from the sea helps a lot.

On the other hand the italian cities even if they are coastal towns are horrible??

Naples for example, worse than BKK.

Problem is this can change rapidly fast, so moving because of this is questionable. There are just too many people and cars in the world imo.

italy aqi.png