Missed my renewal date for my retirement extension

Due to a medical problem that I developed at the last moment I could not make it back to Thailand in time to renew my retirement extension (it was due for renewal on the 8th of January). As I am better now I am planning to fly back to Thailand sometime next week. Do I absolutely need to get a visa from my home country in order to get a 1 year extension based on retirement as I have done before, or is it possible to do it having only the 30 day permission to stay stamp on my passport ? I am planning to try to do it at the Jomtien Immigration Office.

Thanks in advance for your replies

• Haha 1

I just did this reply to a post you did in another topic.

No need for a visa.

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa ( category O) entry at immigration with a 30 day visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it. Requirements here: https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 1

Dear ubonjoe,

Sorry, I'm new here..

Just to re-iterate the requirement for funds deposited into the bank to qualify for the 90 day non-O.

I  assume one needs to proof the funds availability in the bank on the day of filing but doesn't need to show that the funds were in the bank for 2-3 months prior to filing the application.

Otherwise it would be impossible to qualify to get the 90 day non-O for anyone who's just entered the country (and just opened the bank account) while on the 30 day exempt.

Is that correct or I'm missing something here?

Thank you!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, unheard said:

Dear ubonjoe,

Sorry, I'm new here..

Just to re-iterate the requirement for funds deposited into the bank to qualify for the 90 day non-O.

I  assume one needs to proof the funds availability in the bank on the day of filing but doesn't need to show that the funds were in the bank for 2-3 months prior to filing the application.

Otherwise it would be impossible to qualify to get the 90 day non-O for anyone who's just entered the country (and just opened the bank account) while on the 30 day exempt.

Thank you!!!

you are correct, funds only have to be in the bank on the day you apply for the 'O' visa

• Thanks 1

Thank you steve187,

one more question:

does it matter how the required 800k been deposited into the bank account prior to filling the application eg direct foreign transaction vs local.

Asking since I'm not planning on keeping much of my money in my home country and want to transfer most of savings into thailand before arriving in the country and opening my own  bank account.

56 minutes ago, unheard said:

does it matter how the required 800k been deposited into the bank account prior to filling the application eg direct foreign transaction vs local.

You have to show proof that the 800k baht was transferred from abroad to apply for the non immigrant visa.

From the required documents list I posted a link to before. "5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand"

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to show proof that the 800k baht was transferred from abroad to apply for the non immigrant visa.

From the required documents list I posted a link to before. "5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand"

If you show that you had previous extensions, do you think they they would waive the requirement to show funds transferred to Thailand, as you would have done that transfer(s) for those previous extensions years ago.

For example, I'm on Extension 7 or 8 or something. The 800k I use was transferred into the account a decade ago. If for some reason I needed to apply to convert a 30 Day stamp into a Non-O it would be hard to prove that money had been transferred from abroad, but they would have record of having issued me numerous extensions previously (I assume).

Or would I be expected to transfer the money out and then back again (both costly and redundant) ?

18 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

If you show that you had previous extensions, do you think they they would waive the requirement to show funds transferred to Thailand, as you would have done that transfer(s) for those previous extensions years ago.

If you showed them a bank book that showed the funds had been in the bank for a long time they might waive the requirement.

The reason for that being required is due to the funds only need to be in the bank on the day you apply. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, unheard said:

Dear ubonjoe,

Sorry, I'm new here..

Thank you!!!

The money needs to be an international transfer,and has to be in the bank when you apply for the 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa. Then the money has to be in the bank 2 months before applying (when you have 30 days left) for the 1 year extension. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

The money needs to be an international transfer,and has to be in the bank when you apply for the 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa. Then the money has to be in the bank 2 months before applying (when you have 30 days left) for the 1 year extension. 

Max69xl,

Is the "30 days validity left" on Non-Imm "O" visa before applying for a 1 year extension being an absolute requirement?? ????

If yes then it would present a problem if arriving on Non-Imm single entry "O" obtained from abroad.

Even if it takes only 2 days to open a bank account and to deposit the required funds, those 2 days would eat it into the 30-days buffer prior to applying for the 1-year extension since the money need to be in the bank for full 60 days.

5 hours ago, unheard said:

Is the "30 days validity left" on Non-Imm "O" visa before applying for a 1 year extension being an absolute requirement??

You can apply at any time during the last 30 days or 45 days at some offices up to the last day of your permit to stay.

The is no requirement to do it 30 days before you permit to stay ends.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, unheard said:

Max69xl,

Is the "30 days validity left" on Non-Imm "O" visa before applying for a 1 year extension being an absolute requirement?? ????

If yes then it would present a problem if arriving on Non-Imm single entry "O" obtained from abroad.

Even if it takes only 2 days to open a bank account and to deposit the required funds, those 2 days would eat it into the 30-days buffer prior to applying for the 1-year extension since the money need to be in the bank for full 60 days.

I saw that Ubonjoe answered you about the 30 days left when extending the stay. Will you arrive on a 90 days Non-immigrant O obtained back home or on a visa exempt? If you arrive on a 30 days Visa exempt,then you can extend it another 30 days at immigration, and then convert it to a 90 days Non-immigrant O. Now you have 30 days to open the account and to transfer the money, and the 2 months money in the bank requirement won't be a problem. 

Edited by Max69xl
More info
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Maybe 29 or 28 days left when applying for the extension will be ok. To be honest, I don't know.

Are trying to say that you have to apply that early for an extension. If so you are wrong. 

I have applied for 12 extension of stay and I did not do any of them longer than about 2 weeks before the day my extension ends.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are trying to say that you have to apply that early for an extension. If so you are wrong. 

I have applied for 12 extension of stay and I did not do any of them longer than about 2 weeks before the day my extension ends.

I thought we were talking about this guy's first 1 year extension. Not yours or mine. I'm doing mine 30 days before the extension ends just because of the time of the year. Much less people in immigration (almost none at the retirement desk after lunch) when I'm doing it. 

17 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I thought we were talking about this guy's first 1 year extension.

It does not matter whether it is the first or most recent one. There no requirement to do it 30 days early.

I do my extensions based upon marriage and they start the 30 day under consideration period when my current extension ends. Doing it early just makes the wait for it to approved that much longer.

Two weeks is early enough for doing any extension.

32 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I thought we were talking about this guy's first 1 year extension. Not yours or mine. I'm doing mine 30 days before the extension ends just because of the time of the year. Much less people in immigration (almost none at the retirement desk after lunch) when I'm doing it. 

No offence - but I wish people would stop giving advice on these topics unless they are 100% sure of what they are talking about - every post you have made on this thread is either in part incorrect or completely incorrect

The OP already had an extension that expired meaning he likely has in whole or in part 800k already in his Thai bank account - his bank could verify that the funds in his bank came from overseas if he needs to confirm that - no matter how far back he transferred it

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I do my extensions based upon marriage and they start the 30 day under consideration period when my current extension ends.

You mean every renewed extension of stay based on marriage comes with a "30 day under consideration" requirement? And, if so, does that mean that every year your new extension expiration date moves out 30 days?

I somehow thought the "30 days under consideration" was for the first time extension, not subsequent........? Just trying to get my arms around all this marriage extension hoohah, since I have to convert to it 'cause of the OA insurance requirement. Now, just trying to keep the wife healthy until extension renewal time.

7 minutes ago, JimGant said:

You mean every renewed extension of stay based on marriage comes with a "30 day under consideration" requirement? And, if so, does that mean that every year your new extension expiration date moves out 30 days?

Every extension has the under consideration period due to the extension has to be approved at the division level of immigration.

Your extension will still start from the day your extension ends. The 30 day under consideration period is not an extension of your permit it stay.

Whether your extension starts from the date of application or the end of your current permit stay depends upon where you apply at. Division 4 that is responsible for northeast region has a set policy that they start from the end of it. Division 6 for the south has the same policy.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

No offence - but I wish people would stop giving advice on these topics unless they are 100% sure of what they are talking about - every post you have made on this thread is either in part incorrect or completely incorrect

The OP already had an extension that expired meaning he likely has in whole or in part 800k already in his Thai bank account - his bank could verify that the funds in his bank came from overseas if he needs to confirm that - no matter how far back he transferred it

I didn't reply to OP, I replied to 'unheard' , and he doesn't even have a bank account yet. 

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I didn't reply to OP, I replied to 'unheard' , and he doesn't even have a bank account yet. 

get in there - off topic on off topic and still wrong

like I said - if you don't know what is the point in posting - it is just clutter and creates confusion, yes you have good intention but there are experts on these threads that actually know what they are talking about - without again causing offence -you are not one of them