Chiang Mai, Thai Immigration

CMNightRider

3 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I gave up waiting but as I was leaving this circus,

So you are not bothering to extend your Visa, or are you going back tomorrow,

if so you will need to update your bank book again, I thought many Farangs were

leaving Thailand, by your report it does not seem so. good luck next time.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

It's a seasonal thing, there are plenty of times when there are no queues and the place seems very quiet, in April when I extend my visa that is certainly so, you seem to have picked an unfortunate time of the year.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

if so you will need to update your bank book again, I thought many Farangs were

leaving Thailand, by your report it does not seem so. good luck next time.

regards Worgeordie

I'll try another day and just update my bank book if I get a number. ????

10 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I was so happy reading all the news here on TVF about expats leaving and no tourists arriving. Was thinking that immigration matters would be a breeze. 

It takes time to move away from Thailand too. Consider new country, visa for the wife, finishing school semesters, selling the house of finishing the lease.
I am pretty confident many people will be gone in a year more from now. More and more rentals on the Internet by the week too.

However, there are still newbies arriving here and they are OK for the first 1-2 years with their ED visa / tourist visa.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It takes time to move away from Thailand too. Consider new country, visa for the wife, finishing school semesters, selling the house of finishing the lease.
I am pretty confident many people will be gone in a year more from now.

Except that all this talk about leaving has been circulating for a long time. 
New country? Expert opinion on TVF is Vietnam, PI, Cambodia, Laos. Doesn’t take long to come to a decision. 
Visa for wife? The above mentioned countries are dead easy, according to informed sources on here. 
Selling the house? TVF experts don’t own, they rent. It’s been stated countless times on here. 
in a year from now? I hope so, before my next renewal in December 2020. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What about it being a fact? How can you still live in denial while it is 2020 by now?
Or are you one of those people who only considers the retirees with 800K in the bank / married ones with 400K? Those very few are almost hassle free indeed.

For eighteen years I've shown 800k in the bank and extending my visa has never been easier, what others do to make their life more difficult is down to them. For years we read on TVF that posters didn't want to deposit 800k in a Thai bank because the banks weren't safe and all bank tellers were crooks, at least those were the reasons they gave us at the time. Now immigration has tweaked the rules and that fear of Thai banks has come back to bite people, it was an irrational fear in the first place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Everyone nearly gets run over on that 8 lane return journey to the photo copier when you have forgotten that one piece or vital stamp copy or other and that's before leaving the pavement????

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

43 minutes ago, mike787 said:

1000% percent dead accurate!  After reading, i couldn't help but feel again the hopelessness of my 90 days and 1yearly efforts....all for what?   Is there no easier path?  This is just not working anymore.

The easier path you seek is called an agent, it costs about 7k per year.

After reading about all of the issues people are having at certain immigration offices I’m glad I live in Chiang Rai. I did my annual retirement extension this morning in Mae Sai.  In and out in less than 1 hour.  I’ve been to the immigration offices in Mae Sai and Chiang Rai and never waited more than 5 minutes to be served.  The people working there are usually helpful and friendly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saengd said:

The easier path you seek is called an agent, it costs about 7k per year.

Not really good value for money, because an agent has you doing most of the work in assembling all the documents.

I used to use an agent, would take about 30 minutes to get my retirement extension. After things got tightened up by Big Joke, I was 3 hours in Immigration.

Last November, I decided to do it myself, with guidance from Ubonjoe. Took me 4 hours. I figure I was paying myself 1500 baht/hr in what I was saving on the agent.

IMO a lot of the complaints about Immigration from posters arise from failing to prepare properly.

2 minutes ago, statman78 said:

After reading about all of the issues people are having at certain immigration offices I’m glad I live in Chiang Rai. I did my annual retirement extension this morning in Mae Sai.  In and out in less than 1 hour.  I’ve been to the immigration offices in Mae Sai and Chiang Rai and never waited more than 5 minutes to be served.  The people working there are usually helpful and friendly.

Nice to know, because I am moving from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai for various reasons, not least of which is CM air quality. Or absence of it.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, mike787 said:

1000% percent dead accurate!  After reading, i couldn't help but feel again the hopelessness of my 90 days and 1yearly efforts....all for what?   Is there no easier path?  This is just not working anymore.

In all honesty, it’s only the annual extension of stay that’s a pain as you need to start queuing at about 7.30 am in order to be out before lunchtime. For 90day reporting, you can turn up anytime and it gets done quickly. For TM30, you go straight upstairs to the 3rd floor. 

When I renewed my visa 9 months ago at this place I arrived at 11 am and left at 2 pm. For my last 90 days report I needed 3 minutes in the office. I have no idea what happened today that there where so many people. Perhaps too many tourists wanted a visa extension.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Wouldn't it be easier to do it online or by mail?

I’ve done it online before but changed passports recently so online is no go for first 90day report with new pp. Never explored the mail option. Does that require me to send my pp to immigration? If so, then it’s a no no for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Does anyone know if I can appoint my gf to do the 90day reporting on my behalf? If yes, then I also only ever need to go to immigration once a year for my extension renewal. My gf does my TM30 for me as it is. I will also get her to queue for me in the morning to collect the ticket. I can then stroll up much later, after a full breakfast. With the money that I save, I can take my dutiful gf for a lovely mookata dinner with tam pu plaa on the side. 

Yes you can do that, it's only the visa extension that requires you in all your glory to be there in the flesh.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

if so you will need to update your bank book again,

Why is that, my bankbook was not updated the same day I applied for my last extension but a few days prior, and was not an issue. The officer doing my extension interview merely asked me if I had taken any money out the past two days as well as reminding me that I must maintain 800k for the next 3 months.

• Like 2