BANGKOK
CMNightRider

Chiang Mai, Thai Immigration

Just now, EricTh said:

I think every country in the world would like to know where any foreigner is staying.

Is that based on your opinion or hard facts?

4 hours ago, deej said:

the Visa Agent are holding our hand

Yes pleased to say there is someone to help me.

What I could do all night is now something I need all night for.

john

So I just did my one-year extension. There is one big problem happening currently. Let me explain: 

Those who come early get numbered, orange paper tickets that say you need to come back at 8:30am sharp. 

So I arrived at just before 7am. I got number 54. The man who had number 1 told me he arrived at 5:30am. 

I saw another person later who had a number in the low 80s. 

So as it came close to 8:30am, one of the immigration officials came to the front and told people not to stand in line until exactly 8:30am, and that people with numbered orange cards would be lined up first. As new people arrived (without cards), there was a general sense of confusion about who could get in line and who had to wait. Add in the various people who could not speak English and the whole thing was a slow train wreck. 

So the officer started herding those with numbers to line up in about 4 lines at the front desk to check everyone's documents. Anyone without an "early arrival" ticket was not allowed in line until about the number 30, at which point the officer wandered off. After that, people without tickets (who had just arrived) starting crowding the lines. More problematic was that the people checking documents didn't care if a person had a number card or not. So the people who had come early, after number 30, thereabouts, were not allowed to take advantage of having come early, and those who had just sauntered in were served immediately and got a "real number."

It was totally unfair and chaotic. 

Why give out "early tickets" if you don't follow the order? 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Trujillo said:

So I just did my one-year extension. There is one big problem happening currently. Let me explain: 

Those who come early get numbered, orange paper tickets that say you need to come back at 8:30am sharp. 

So I arrived at just before 7am. I got number 54. The man who had number 1 told me he arrived at 5:30am. 

I saw another person later who had a number in the low 80s. 

So as it came close to 8:30am, one of the immigration officials came to the front and told people not to stand in line until exactly 8:30am, and that people with numbered orange cards would be lined up first. As new people arrived (without cards), there was a general sense of confusion about who could get in line and who had to wait. Add in the various people who could not speak English and the whole thing was a slow train wreck. 

So the officer started herding those with numbers to line up in about 4 lines at the front desk to check everyone's documents. Anyone without an "early arrival" ticket was not allowed in line until about the number 30, at which point the officer wandered off. After that, people without tickets (who had just arrived) starting crowding the lines. More problematic was that the people checking documents didn't care if a person had a number card or not. So the people who had come early, after number 30, thereabouts, were not allowed to take advantage of having come early, and those who had just sauntered in were served immediately and got a "real number."

It was totally unfair and chaotic. 

Why give out "early tickets" if you don't follow the order? 

I experienced the same thing.  I tried to show up during normal business hours and after standing in a line that extended out into the parking lot, I just gave up.  I then showed up at 0600 hours and experienced the same confusion over the early arrival ticket holders and those who cut in front of them when the immigration staff member walked away.

The ring leader of this circus should be replaced with an immigration officer with leadership skills.  Unfortunately, immigration like other Thai government organisations are corrupt to the bone.  It is common to buy your promotions which further hamper these organizations from being run professionally.    

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I experienced the same thing.  I tried to show up during normal business hours and after standing in a line that extended out into the parking lot, I just gave up.  I then showed up at 0600 hours and experienced the same confusion over the early arrival ticket holders and those who cut in front of them when the immigration staff member walked away.

The ring leader of this circus should be replaced with an immigration officer with leadership skills.  Unfortunately, immigration like other Thai government organisations are corrupt to the bone.  It is common to buy your promotions which further hamper these organizations from being run professionally.    

Shades of pre BJ starting to surface?

I assume 4 lines would be for

RETIREMENT

90 DAY REPORTING

TOURIST 

MARRIAGE / OTHER

If that is the case the large number of people are probably TOURIST OR 90 DAY, therefore retirement extension would not be much more than 20+

No. The lines are random. The officer, while he was directing numbers traffic, put people in random lines so that they filled up evenly. The people behind the desk were checking all documents, regardless of whether for tourist or retirement.