Chiang Mai, Thai Immigration

CMNightRider

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Why is that, my bankbook was not updated the same day I applied for my last extension but a few days prior, and was not an issue. The officer doing my extension interview merely asked me if I had taken any money out the past two days as well as reminding me that I must maintain 800k for the next 3 months.

Why is it my friend who went there on a Wednesday,could not get a ticket,

and went back on Thursday ,was told to go and get his bank book updated

for that day, you lucky ,he unlucky, who knows.

regards Worgeordie

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I’ve done it online before but changed passports recently so online is no go for first 90day report with new pp. Never explored the mail option. Does that require me to send my pp to immigration? If so, then it’s a no no for me. 

No you don't need to send passport only copy,I am in same boat as you,

have new passport ,so cannot do online now,have to leave the country

and enter again,but mail in is very easy,reply in only few days, anything is

better than having to go there !

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Why is it my friend who went there on a Wednesday,could not get a ticket,

and went back on Thursday ,was told to go and get his bank book updated

for that day, you lucky ,he unlucky, who knows.

regards Worgeordie

Lucky, unlucky, who knows.... Could be one's manners, how one dresses/presents themselves, and if they speak Thai.....but then again it just might be which officer was doing the process and the daily mood of that officer.

5 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Lucky, unlucky, who knows.... Could be one's manners, how one dresses/presents themselves, and if they speak Thai.....but then again it just might be which officer was doing the process and the daily mood of that officer.

Yes could be many things......did they ask you for bank statement for last

6 months as well, 

regards Worgeordie

9 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I’ve done it online before but changed passports recently so online is no go for first 90day report with new pp. Never explored the mail option. Does that require me to send my pp to immigration? If so, then it’s a no no for me. 

No, do NOT send in your passport when doing the 90-day address routine by mail.  I've been doing the mail option for years and only once was there a problem (the Receipt of Notification with new reporting date wasn't returned timely so I went to Immigration and they gave me a new one within 10 minutes). 

There's a pinned topic about how to do it....or can find here: 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dcnx said:

One of my neighbors is a smug Brit who is always saying that immigration is a breeze and the problem is with the foreigner, not immigration.

He recently married and was counting on changing to that visa. Immigration came to inspect his home and he says they went through the place as if he was hiding drugs. Even looked inside the kitchen cabinets. After all

of that he still didn’t get the visa. ???? Now he gets it. I think he posted about it here a few months ago. 

Just because you haven’t had a difficult time yet doesn’t mean it’s not difficult or that you won’t have issues in the future. 

What's the reason for his refusal of extension? 

• Like 1

Just now, EricTh said:

I'm guessing inadequate funds.

I know of two examples where farangs that I know have created stories about supposed persecution and victimization by government/banks/immigration in order to hide the fact they don't have enough money to qualify for the extension....they're trying to get rid of us all, they said! Both used the income method and both tried to cut their expenses by moving from retirement to marriage but they still didn't have enough. Both were property rich but bank account poor.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

One of my neighbors is a smug Brit who is always saying that immigration is a breeze and the problem is with the foreigner, not immigration.

He recently married and was counting on changing to that visa. Immigration came to inspect his home and he says they went through the place as if he was hiding drugs. Even looked inside the kitchen cabinets. After all

of that he still didn’t get the visa. ???? Now he gets it. I think he posted about it here a few months ago. 

Just because you haven’t had a difficult time yet doesn’t mean it’s not difficult or that you won’t have issues in the future. 

A home needs to look like a home. So stock up your cabinets with alcohol and your shelves with cases of beer. Have the fridge stocked and have a number on the wall to call Panda or Grab. Then they will know you are the real stuff. You come into my house and you know it is a real home. 

1 hour ago, saengd said:

I know of two examples where farangs that I know have created stories about supposed persecution and victimization by government/banks/immigration in order to hide the fact they don't have enough money to qualify for the extension....they're trying to get rid of us all, they said! Both used the income method and both tried to cut their expenses by moving from retirement to marriage but they still didn't have enough. Both were property rich but bank account poor.

And this is correct. They have invested so to say vested and are the victim. You do not need that much to live here after you have everything already. The Government is wrong. USA there is no min i9f go through the proper hoops.. All are accepted and most all will get PR status or citizenship. I don't look with warm eyes to these official a - holes 

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

They have no right of entry.

Sit at the table outside with the doors locked.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They have no right of entry.

Sit at the table outside with the doors locked.

Yea, and maybe a couple of large dogs chained up and barking and big signs saying "no pigs allowed" that'll help you get your visa even quicker!!!

• Haha 1

I went to immigration BEFORE they put in the new queuing system. Took 2 hours 30 minutes. Went again after they put in place the new queuing system. Took 6 hours. 

Of course works much better for  THEM, as they give themselves more time to deal with applications. Meanwhile the farangs are fighting each other for seats and waiting for 6 hours.

They made it worse for us, better for them. 

You queue for a ticket to get another ticket? What on earth?

Edited by Logosone
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

"Nonsense, unbridled paranoia," I think not.  Thai Immigration is doing everything possible to rid Thailand of westerners.  They now have immigration staff showing up at houses where foreigners are staying, interviewing them, and taking photos.  

This reminds me of Germany prior to WWII.  World history tends to be a subject Thais have little knowledge of, and apparently some westerners living here fail to see what is coming their way too.

Why do you think that Thai immigration is trying to get rid of westerners?

I agree that they don’t try to make it easy to stay but I haven’t heard of any rejections yet where the foreigner fulfills the requirements. 

Many Western countries make it very difficult for some Asians to even visit for a holiday. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

My friend who was visited by immigration is a retired Australian police officer, that has lived in Thailand for about 14 years.  He has a regular retirement visa with the required 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.  

You appear to be living in la la land, if you can't see how Thai Immigration has increased their less than friendly treatment directed towards westerners.  It's okay, you are not alone.  There are many westerners that don't see what is coming their way either.  It was the same for many in Germany before WWII.  

I am yet to be visited by immigration (12 years already, retirement visa). Could be that your friend raised some red flags or maybe a new initiative where they do random sampling?

Just now, Gweiloman said:

I am yet to be visited by immigration (12 years already, retirement visa). Could be that your friend raised some red flags or maybe a new initiative where they do random sampling?

I get non-os from outside the country and live in a private house.

They can't visit me because they don't know where I live.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Please try to refrain from trying to apologise for immigration staff.  Maybe they wanted to meet a real police officer and that is why they came to his home, and took photos of him.  Random sampling, red flags???  All one has to do is bring up his name up on an immigration computer.   

22 hours ago, saengd said:

If they have properties, then why not sell their properties into cash and they will be able to extend their visa. Renting a house shouldn't be a problem.

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If they have properties, then why not sell their properties into cash and they will be able to extend their visa. Renting a house shouldn't be a problem.

One of the guys has been trying to sell his house for five years that I've known him, started at 22 mill. then 18 mill. then 16 mill. goodness only knows how much he's asking now, eventually Immi. said no income letter and no money in the bank so here's a 30 day tourist visa, he left for Laos and he's still trying to sell his house.

2 hours ago, saengd said:

One of the guys has been trying to sell his house for five years that I've known him, started at 22 mill. then 18 mill. then 16 mill. goodness only knows how much he's asking now, eventually Immi. said no income letter and no money in the bank so here's a 30 day tourist visa, he left for Laos and he's still trying to sell his house.

Not trying to be critical here but if he dumped 22 mil into a house and no cash in bank, I really wonder how he earned his money in the first place. He obviously had very little financial acumen. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Many Western countries make it very difficult for some Asians to even visit for a holiday. 

Because so many of them are coming for illegal work, prostitution, and other illegal activities. They earned this, such difficult restrictions didn’t get pulled out of thin air. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:59 PM, saengd said:

Respectfully...I don't believe that.

Of course you don’t because it didn’t happen to you. Denial is a powerful thing. It’s what keeps a lot of you here. 

You can find his post about it here. 

When I was there last Nov, the immigration place wasn't overflowing like what the thread starter said.

I guess even with all the nonsensical 90day, TM30 reporting, there are still tons of foreigners who like to stay in Thailand.

I notice there seems to be an increase in the number of foreigners 'learning Thai' just to stay in Thailand.

Edited by EricTh

On 1/15/2020 at 8:19 PM, EricTh said:

I’d have to find his post here or ask when I see him for the official reason. He’s a condescending <deleted> though so it could have been his attitude. He’s retired so I know he has funds. Never did move to marriage. 

6 hours ago, saengd said:

I think he bought the house at a higher than market price i.e he was ripped off. Most property agents are such sweet talkers.

Ordinary Thai people just don't have that type of money and even if they have, they would rather buy a brand new house with that type of money.

From what I know, Thai just don't like second hand houses unless it is in a prime location.

So the only option that he has is to sell to the limited number of foreigners. That's the reality.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1