Jump to content
BANGKOK
CMNightRider

Chiang Mai, Thai Immigration

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, mike787 said:

1000% percent dead accurate!  After reading, i couldn't help but feel again the hopelessness of my 90 days and 1yearly efforts....all for what?   Is there no easier path?  This is just not working anymore.

The easier path you seek is called an agent, it costs about 7k per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading about all of the issues people are having at certain immigration offices I’m glad I live in Chiang Rai. I did my annual retirement extension this morning in Mae Sai.  In and out in less than 1 hour.  I’ve been to the immigration offices in Mae Sai and Chiang Rai and never waited more than 5 minutes to be served.  The people working there are usually helpful and friendly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, saengd said:

The easier path you seek is called an agent, it costs about 7k per year.

Not really good value for money, because an agent has you doing most of the work in assembling all the documents.

I used to use an agent, would take about 30 minutes to get my retirement extension. After things got tightened up by Big Joke, I was 3 hours in Immigration.

Last November, I decided to do it myself, with guidance from Ubonjoe. Took me 4 hours. I figure I was paying myself 1500 baht/hr in what I was saving on the agent.

IMO a lot of the complaints about Immigration from posters arise from failing to prepare properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, statman78 said:

After reading about all of the issues people are having at certain immigration offices I’m glad I live in Chiang Rai. I did my annual retirement extension this morning in Mae Sai.  In and out in less than 1 hour.  I’ve been to the immigration offices in Mae Sai and Chiang Rai and never waited more than 5 minutes to be served.  The people working there are usually helpful and friendly.

Nice to know, because I am moving from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai for various reasons, not least of which is CM air quality. Or absence of it.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mike787 said:

1000% percent dead accurate!  After reading, i couldn't help but feel again the hopelessness of my 90 days and 1yearly efforts....all for what?   Is there no easier path?  This is just not working anymore.

In all honesty, it’s only the annual extension of stay that’s a pain as you need to start queuing at about 7.30 am in order to be out before lunchtime. For 90day reporting, you can turn up anytime and it gets done quickly. For TM30, you go straight upstairs to the 3rd floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I renewed my visa 9 months ago at this place I arrived at 11 am and left at 2 pm. For my last 90 days report I needed 3 minutes in the office. I have no idea what happened today that there where so many people. Perhaps too many tourists wanted a visa extension.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Does anyone know if I can appoint my gf to do the 90day reporting on my behalf?

Wouldn't it be easier to do it online or by mail?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Wouldn't it be easier to do it online or by mail?

I’ve done it online before but changed passports recently so online is no go for first 90day report with new pp. Never explored the mail option. Does that require me to send my pp to immigration? If so, then it’s a no no for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the facilities are sub par considering the potential 9 hour waits (my second-to-last visit); no photo facilities, no ATM, no water (left in the bottle)

Edited by Cheesekraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Wouldn't it be easier to do it online or by mail?

YES!  But those options are not possible through out all of thailand.  It depends on the location.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Does anyone know if I can appoint my gf to do the 90day reporting on my behalf? If yes, then I also only ever need to go to immigration once a year for my extension renewal. My gf does my TM30 for me as it is. I will also get her to queue for me in the morning to collect the ticket. I can then stroll up much later, after a full breakfast. With the money that I save, I can take my dutiful gf for a lovely mookata dinner with tam pu plaa on the side. 

Yes you can do that, it's only the visa extension that requires you in all your glory to be there in the flesh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mike787 said:

YES!  But those options are not possible through out all of thailand.  It depends on the location.

yes but this is the Chiang Mai forum about Chiang Mai not about throughout Thailand

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So you are not bothering to extend your Visa, or are you going back tomorrow,

if so you will need to update your bank book again,

Why is that, my bankbook was not updated the same day I applied for my last extension but a few days prior, and was not an issue. The officer doing my extension interview merely asked me if I had taken any money out the past two days as well as reminding me that I must maintain 800k for the next 3 months.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...