Chiang Mai, Thai Immigration

CMNightRider

On 1/14/2020 at 11:40 PM, Gweiloman said:

I’ve done it online before but changed passports recently so online is no go for first 90day report with new pp. Never explored the mail option. Does that require me to send my pp to immigration? If so, then it’s a no no for me. 

No only a copy. The info is pinned https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/883112-chiang-mai-immigration-topics-information/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dcnx said:

Because so many of them are coming for illegal work, prostitution, and other illegal activities. They earned this, such difficult restrictions didn’t get pulled out of thin air. 

And westerners don’t do any if the above?

21 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

And westerners don’t do any if the above?

We must travel in different circles.  None of the westerners I have ever met is involved in "illegal work, prostitution, or other illegal activities."  I can't imagine any western moving to Thailand, so they can work for peanuts.  As far as western women coming here to work as prostitutes, Thailand is the AIDS capital of the world.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

As far as western women coming here to work as prostitutes, Thailand is the AIDS capital of the world.  

Not even in the top 40 countries for HIV/AIDS prevalence.  The USA has a greater rate of HIV/AIDS than does Thailand.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-highest-rates-of-hiv-aids.html

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, CMNightRider said:

you appear to be living in la la land, if you can't see how Thai Immigration has increased their less than friendly treatment directed towards westerners.

Well, they certainly are tightening up on farang key noks. And more power to them (although the implementations procedures could stand a little tweaking....). Historically, It was embarrassing to go to the US Consulate for my annual income statement, and to witness the human trash who were certainly scamming the system when claiming to meet the income threshold (well, a few looked like their drug business may have qualified them....). Anyway, you can't blame the Thais for tightening up on just who they allow to remain in their country.

Never heard of a visit to someone here on a retirement extension.....Does he have ear piercings, and/or a forehead tattoo? Maybe his agent ratted out on him over an illegitimate financial reporting? Anyway, all's well that ends well. Clearing out farang trash is, for most of us reading this, completely acceptable -- and long overdue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Well, they certainly are tightening up on farang key noks. And more power to them (although the implementations procedures could stand a little tweaking....). Historically, It was embarrassing to go to the US Consulate for my annual income statement, and to witness the human trash who were certainly scamming the system when claiming to meet the income threshold (well, a few looked like their drug business may have qualified them....). Anyway, you can't blame the Thais for tightening up on just who they allow to remain in their country.

Never heard of a visit to someone here on a retirement extension.....Does he have ear piercings, and/or a forehead tattoo? Maybe his agent ratted out on him over an illegitimate financial reporting? Anyway, all's well that ends well. Clearing out farang trash is, for most of us reading this, completely acceptable -- and long overdue.

I hope you are here, when the Thai government expels the remaining foreigners living in Thailand, and confiscates their 800,000 baht bank deposits.  Have you ever wondered why the required deposit has to be only in your name and not have your wife's or children's name on it too?  "Farang key noks and human trash?"  Where did that come from?    

The retired Australian police officer deposited 800,000 baht in one of Thailands third world banks to qualify for his yearly visa extension.  He doesn't have earrings or facial tattoos or any other tattoos.  After this most unwelcome visit from immigration he is in the process of leaving Thailand.  We both have property here so it slows our exit down a little.

There are basically three types of people in this world.  People who make things happen, people who watch things happen, and people who aren't aware of anything happening.  Many of the people who labor to write coherent thoughts and opinions on Thai Visa, appear to be in the latter above mentioned group.  Even though you seem to harbor a hatred or at least a dislike for your fellow expats by referring to them as "key noks and human trash," I hope you are able to wake up and see what is coming your way before it is too late.  Please don't bother replying with any of your naive thoughts.  Maybe share them with other like minded posters in La La Land.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

+1

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I hope you are here, when the Thai government expels the remaining foreigners living in Thailand, and confiscates their 800,000 baht bank deposits.  Have you ever wondered why the required deposit has to be only in your name and not have your wife's or children's name on it too?  "Farang key noks and human trash?"  Where did that come from?    

The retired Australian police officer deposited 800,000 baht in one of Thailands third world banks to qualify for his yearly visa extension.  He doesn't have earrings or facial tattoos or any other tattoos.  After this most unwelcome visit from immigration he is in the process of leaving Thailand.  We both have property here so it slows our exit down a little.

There are basically three types of people in this world.  People who make things happen, people who watch things happen, and people who aren't aware of anything happening.  Many of the people who labor to write coherent thoughts and opinions on Thai Visa, appear to be in the latter above mentioned group.  Even though you seem to harbor a hatred or at least a dislike for your fellow expats by referring to them as "key noks and human trash," I hope you are able to wake up and see what is coming your way before it is too late.  Please don't bother replying with any of your naive thoughts.  Maybe share them with other like minded posters in La La Land.     

It seems that your friend is the only one of thousands of retirees here in CM that received a visit from immigration. 
So either immigration made a mistake or there was something that raised a red flag as I previously mentioned. 

18 hours ago, JimGant said:

.....Never heard of a visit to someone here on a retirement extension..... 

It does happen but not all that often.  Occasionally, a group of CM Immigration cops will check out a given/random neighborhood.  I encountered that about a year ago when, upon heading out from lunch from my townhouse, a group of 8-10 CM Immigration cops were at my gate.  They asked to see my passport and, after examining my retirement extension, handed it back with a "thank you."  They also asked about my neighbors (on one side is a Thai family and on the other is a townhouse that the owner has attempted to turn it into a hotel (Air B & B) and that's occasionally presented noise problems for our immediate area.  After a bit of chat with them, they indicated they were just doing a general check of my area that day (they weren't aiming for anybody in particular).

In any event, they were generally polite and just doing their job.  I have no problem with that. 

16 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

It seems that your friend is the only one of thousands of retirees here in CM that received a visit from immigration. 
So either immigration made a mistake or there was something that raised a red flag as I previously mentioned. 

Look at the above post by CMBob.  

This is just a heads up for all you Chiang Mai, westerners on reporting to the new CM immigration headquarters for your one year visa extension or the many other reasons you are required to show up at this building.  After a couple of attempts to report during normal working hours, I discovered if you don't show up there at least by 6:00 am, you may not be able to do anything more than waste your time.

The building is woefully inadequate to accommodate the number of people who are required by law to report to this building.  I'm sure it was designed with this in mind.  After all, the people who designed this building already knew the numbers of foreigners required to show up at immigration daily.  If you are elderly or handicapped, it will be even more difficult for you.    

I was surprised to discover you are given two numbers.  The first is a temporary que and will have a number on it.  When your number is called, you will have to show the inspecting officer your paper work.  If anything is missing or incomplete, you will not be able to get a regular que number, and will have to try again the next day.  They run out of temporary numbers quickly.  I observed many foreigners who were confused about this new procedure.  Many had to return two or three times before they were issued a regular cue.

I actually thought when this building was being built, CM Immigration would be more professional on how they process visas for foreigners.  Actually, they have managed to make it more difficult for foreigners to abide by their ever changing requirements to qualify to live in this country.  I suspect by next year, new rules and regulations will be again implemented to encourage more foreigners to move to another country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, nichopaulcnx said:

I think too many people on TV have nothing better to do than complain !

And since they have nothing else to do but complain why don't they camp out at CM IP full time and give us an accurate running commentary of what is actually happening, rather than the "Glass is always empty" in their usual curmudgeonly way!

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

And since they have nothing else to do but complain why don't they camp out at CM IP full time and give us an accurate running commentary of what is actually happening, rather than the "Glass is always empty" in their usual curmudgeonly way!

Their choice no problem, but those who have the correct documentation never have a problem renewing extensions and never need to " camp out "   , 14 x and never camped out or used an Agent !

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Absolute BS, I renewed my retirement extension recently, arrived 10.45  , 1 hour all finished !, I think too many people on TV have nothing better to do than complain !

There is no way you could have done this at CM Immigration.  What I wrote is fact.  If you would have shown up at CM Immigration at 10:45 am, you would be standing at the back of a long line in the parking lot waiting to get into the building just to get the first number.  You need to rub those sleepy little eyes and wake up.  This is for Chiang Mai Immigration, not the immigration office you visited.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

There is no way you could have done this at CM Immigration.  What I wrote is fact.  If you would have shown up at CM Immigration at 10:45 am, you would be standing at the back of a long line in the parking lot waiting to get into the building just to get the first number.  You need to rub those sleepy little eyes and wake up.  This is for Chiang Mai Immigration, not the immigration office you visited.

How can you be sure of that?  Are you there Everyday to check?  Do you have somebody there checking everyday?

CM Immigration sure and I don't need to reply to absolute BS from someone who perhaps does not have the correct documentation !

1 minute ago, nichopaulcnx said:

CM Immigration sure and I don't need to reply to absolute BS from someone who perhaps does not have the correct documentation !

And clearly the wrong attitude. I wish all these stupid grumpy old farangs could go back home. The Thais would definitely be happier to have us here.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

And clearly the wrong attitude. I wish all these stupid grumpy old farangs could go back home. The Thais would definitely be happier to have us here.

Please read the post this relates to before making pathetic comments !

Sad to see what's happened to some previously sound and interesting posters on here.

I've not had a problem with Immi. at the CM office, it depends a lot on the time of the year and whether it's busy season or not.

• Like 1

Gotta say, I totally agree with you, no way you can even get in the door at CM Immigration without waiting for hours.

Unless you pay an agent to walk you in past the queues.

There's something very odd about a few of the posters on this thread.

Why are their experiences different to ours?

And before anyone starts posting their usual nonsense, I've never had any 'paperwork difficulties' all my difficulties have been about getting in to see an immigration officer, followed by their complete rudeness and belligerent attitudes.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Gotta say, I totally agree with you, no way you can even get in the door at CM Immigration without waiting for hours.

There's something very odd about a few of the posters on this thread.

Chiang Mai Immigration 10.45 out in 1 hour, all documentation correct and extension approved.

This website is for informative comments and information to help others and I agree there is something odd about a few of the posters on this thread, who seem to have nothing better to do than make unsubstantiated posts!

12537 posts ! 

Edited by nichopaulcnx
update

1 minute ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Chiang Mai Immigration 10.45 out in 1 hour, all documentation correct and extension approved.

This website is for informative comments and information to help others and I agree there is something odd about a few of the posters on this thread, who seem to have nothing better to do than make unsubstantiated posts!

52 posts and an immigration expert, I think not.

On ignore for lacking credibility.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2020 at 7:29 PM, saengd said:

extending my visa has never been easier,

me too... and to make it even easier, I use an agent... for a reasonable fee they take care of all paperwork and drive me to the IO at their request so I don't even have to worry parking... we were back in their office, everything finished in 30 minutes... and they take care of my 90 day too... 

Compare all of this to what a Thai might have to go through to immigrate to my home country... people here should be more thankful that it is so easy to live here... 

• Like 1

Just now, kenk24 said:

me too... and to make it even easier, I use an agent... for a reasonable fee they take care of all paperwork and drive me to the IO at their request so I don't even have to worry parking... we were back in their office, everything finished in 30 minutes... and they take care of my 90 day too... 

Compare all of this to what a Thai might have to go through to immigrate to my home country... people here should be more thankful that it is so easy to live here... 

Exactly, if any Brit has ever had to deal with UK Immi. at Lunar House in Croydon they will understand.

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

sounds like a good idea then... though in my 20 years on retirement visa, I have never had a rude agent... in fact, the couple of times where I had screwed up or there was a problem they were great about taking care of it for me... no extra expense... 

I have seen enough posts from farang here bragging about how they told the IO to F-off... and were rather rude... though some later admitted it was 'under their breath'... big shots on the forum, wimps in real life? - - I am always polite to IO's and have rcvd the same in return... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Compare all of this to what a Thai might have to go through to immigrate to my home country...

Probably no worse than a marriage extension, and they only need to do it once in their life, not every year.

Not to mention, immediately after they can own land, get free heath care, a pension, passport, etc.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Probably no worse than a marriage extension, and they only need to do it once in their life, not every year.

Not to mention, immediately after they can own land, get free heath care, a pension, passport, etc.

Plus memorise word for word the "twenty volume set" of Life in the UK, questions about which were not answerable by over 80% of lifelong UK residents.