Cathy Come Home: The TV drama that put homelessness on the map

snoop1130

Cathy Come Home: The TV drama that put homelessness on the map

eafrwe.jpg

BBC

The groundbreaking television drama Cathy Come Home caused shockwaves when it was broadcast on BBC One in 1966.

It told the harrowing story of a fictional young family evicted from their home, putting disadvantage and homelessness into the public consciousness and on to the political agenda in a new way.

The drama, directed by Ken Loach, was produced by Tony Garnett, who died on Sunday.

But the legacy of Cathy Come Homes continues, more than five decades later.

Full Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-51100189/cathy-come-home-the-tv-drama-that-put-homelessness-on-the-map

bbc.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2020-01-14

I remember watching a re-run of Cathy Come Home around 1970/71 at school. We were given a project to write about the homeless charity Shelter and its (then) short history.

I managed to find a copy of it on torrent and watched it recently - about three years ago.

Shockwaves in UK. Never heard or seen of it. Last UK thing I remember watching was Luther, a decent series starring Idris Elba. Before that.. some sort of black & white kids series in the 70's. A far cry from the US entertainment industry that has managed to export a lot of it.