Frenchman detained after lighting cigarette mid-flight to Phuket

snoop1130

I remember the days of being a smoker. Taking those long-haul flights going back and forth from NA to SE Asia were torturous sometimes, but I was never stupid enough to take that chance. 

I was curious about the penalty and see it was merely a fine, a scolding and on his way to enjoy his holiday. He must have been able to confirm reservations at one of the many hotels that are desperately in need of customers. Otherwise, would he have been shown the door out of Thailand? ????

And what happened to the "good guys in; bad guys out" rule for entry into Thailand. Here we have a person who has clearly shown no respect for a law made to keep people safe while flying, yet he's a "good guy"? But somehow, other people who have done noting more than try to spend a lot of (crime-free) time in Thailand using various visas and entry methods are deemed "bad guys" and turned away. I don't get it, but I don't think we're supposed to.   

Edited by Inn Between

Mmm.... according to the interwebby, whilst some places can levy fines of up to 25,000 dollars... plus imprisonment... I’m afraid that the usual fine is between 50 and 500 dollars. I expect that some readers might be disappointed. Sorry.

2 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I remember the days of being a smoker. Taking those long-haul flights going back and forth from NA to SE Asia were torturous sometimes, but I was never stupid enough to take that chance. 

I was curious about the penalty and see it was merely a fine, a scolding and on his way to enjoy his holiday. He must have been able to confirm reservations at one of the many hotels that are desperately in need of customers. Otherwise, would he have been shown the door out of Thailand? ????

And what happened to the "good guys in; bad guys out" rule for entry into Thailand. Here we have a person who has clearly shown no respect for a law made to keep people safe while flying, yet he's a "good guy"? But somehow, other people who have done noting more than try to spend a lot of (crime-free) time in Thailand using various visas and entry methods are deemed "bad guys" and turned away. I don't get it, but I don't think we're supposed to.   

'' Here we have a person who has clearly shown no respect for a law made to keep people safe while flying ''.....how so?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

'' Here we have a person who has clearly shown no respect for a law made to keep people safe while flying ''.....how so?

Well, even in the days when it was okay to smoke on airplanes, it wasn't allowed in the bathrooms because of the fire hazard that all the paper towel and tissue caused. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

Well, even in the days when it was okay to smoke on airplanes, it wasn't allowed in the bathrooms because of the fire hazard that all the paper towel and tissue caused. 

Ah that'll be why there has never been a smoking related fire on an aircraft then. Ironically the environment on a plane is now much more hazardous since to the smoking ban due to the air refreshing being turned down to save fuel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fasteddie said:

It's vapour and it dissipates immediately.

... and so would the aircraft! 

Imagine the uproar if happened to blow, when near iraninnie airspace - guess he'd be ummm 'lucky' a SAM got blamed...