Frenchman detained after lighting cigarette mid-flight to Phuket

snoop1130

First I dont smoke.

Have the Frenchman killed someone. Judging most comments here it seems everyone just have been on their virgin flight and judge the man as he was a super criminal, and either they dont know or dont want to hear that 25 years ago smoking was allowed on most flights around the world and it was not a criminal act.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

It is not smoke it is vapor just like boiling a kettle

I understand that it is not smoke. But it is extremely annoying for others. The smell is awful and the health effects are not clear so far. What would these people using such devices say if I take a can of deodorant and blow it into their face? Thailand has many great laws. They only need to be enforced more strictly... 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TPI said:

The "smoke" you see is moisture with traces of nicotine, which, by the way, is good for you!

I think you should elaborate your view to convince me and perhaps others too. But whatever you tell me - vaping is against the law in Thailand. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I understand that it is not smoke. But it is extremely annoying for others. The smell is awful and the health effects are not clear so far. What would these people using such devices say if I take a can of deodorant and blow it into their face? Thailand has many great laws. They only need to be enforced more strictly... 

if you are so concerned about vaping, how can you possibly even leave your house and breathe in the air? (I  assume you live in Thailand). 
Btw, your avatar depicts you as a smoker. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gweiloman said:

if you are so concerned about vaping, how can you possibly even leave your house and breathe in the air? (I  assume you live in Thailand). 
Btw, your avatar depicts you as a smoker. 

My goodness - this with the avatar - never realized it but you are right ???? In respect of these explosive new suicide devices - I honestly was surprised how much annoyance they can create to other people simply because of the intense smell and the big amount of vapour. Perhaps such devices need a filter to block such exhausts for others. I think then they perhaps might be widely accepted - as long as they can't explode anymore next to you. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is a non event, farting on a plane while having some kind of a bad stomach would have been much more annoying.

I also remember the days when you could smoke at will on a plane and it was normal.

They should have wrote a ticket, 100 Baht fine.

Why all the hysteria, the air you breathe on an airliner is filtered way more than most air that you breathe isn't it?

Based on most of the above comments you would think that we're lucky the plane didn't crash due to this smoking incident.

I loved it when they asked "Smokers or non-smoker"? and you would have the ashtray in the armrest

5 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Can you imagine 25 years ago it was very normal to light a cigarette in the plain.

Even nowadays you can still see the Marlboro-man lighting up a ciggie in the plains. But before entering an aircraft, I am sure he would flick it off. 

17 minutes ago, No1 said:

I loved it when they asked "Smokers or non-smoker"? and you would have the ashtray in the armrest

Even nowadays you can still see the Marlboro-man lighting up a ciggie in the plains. But before entering an aircraft, I am sure he would flick it off. 

He died of lung cancer did he not?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Beggar said:

Very bad. But I wished also people would be stopped to use electronic devices for vaping at every corner here in Thailand. It is much worse than smoking for others since a lot of "smoke" is created. Since I can see it now so often I am really surprised that nothing happens. I have thought it is not allowed... 

VAping in Thailand? You cant it is forbidden. 

Wouldnt it be better Thailand stops the burnings of forest and old crop residues? 

3 months of smoke in northern Thailand and BK is also quite charmed with smog long periods.

Thailand still has very old diesel trucks , blowing black smoke out, you never saw ? Causes cancer !

Always people complaining about smoke of cigarettes, but never about something else, just wimps.

btw vaping is more "healthier" then the cigarettes.

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

First I dont smoke.

Have the Frenchman killed someone. Judging most comments here it seems everyone just have been on their virgin flight and judge the man as he was a super criminal, and either they dont know or dont want to hear that 25 years ago smoking was allowed on most flights around the world and it was not a criminal act.

yeah true, i remember 1993 when i was  flying to USA and could smoke. Too bad i had in the smoking section about 6 guys from south america which were so nervous probably and kept smoking in a row.

I, and i do smoke, was happy when they fall asleep.

But times change and now we are focussed on everything to make fines to.

We also had lead in or petrol and used asbestos, now you cant. We learn and change.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Always people complaining about smoke of cigarettes, but never about something else, just wimps.

btw vaping is more "healthier" then the cigarettes.

You write it correctly. Vaping is said to be more healthy than cigarettes - but still not healthy. The burning of big areas of sugar cane might be more healthy than smoking too. So why should we care as long as these farmers don't smoke cigarettes. 

• Sad 1

I don't think it matters if the rules are stupid. In a high risk environment, such as on an airplane in flight, you just obey the rules. You don't question them. You can argue on the ground all you want, but up in the air you just (happily) follow the rules. And if you don't you should be banned from flying. It would have been interesting in this case with a French dude having to arrange travel home from Thailand without flying. 

• Haha 2

On 1/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, androokery said:

I don't think it matters if the rules are stupid. In a high risk environment, such as on an airplane in flight, you just obey the rules. You don't question them. You can argue on the ground all you want, but up in the air you just (happily) follow the rules. And if you don't you should be banned from flying. It would have been interesting in this case with a French dude having to arrange travel home from Thailand without flying. 

Well the international aviation rules banning smoking affect, as far as I'm aware, ALL airlines globally, with the last airlines to ban smoking about 20 years ago, but most having done so around 1993-95 or thereabouts. As far as I can recall, THAI Airways also banned smoking on board around that time; might have been in 95 or 97.

This means this chap, who is of middle eastern origin (I point this out because for whatever reason, people from that region still love smoking, especially men) should have been aware of this rule like everyone else and prepared himself for it.

Getting back to France by way of land from Thailand isn't that difficult. Thailand and France are on the same land mass. He could catch a combination of buses, trains and long-distance taxis through multiple countries to get back. Via Laos, China, Russia and then the EU, or Myanmar, India, Pakistan, Iran and Turkey. Not that complicated - especially for a French passport holder.

Now if he were from the USA or Australia - that might have been a challenge.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 2:04 PM, fasteddie said:

It's vapour and it dissipates immediately.

Vapour: yes.

Dissipate: no. (Why would it?)

I find vaping much worse than smoking as "the new addicts" often do it continuously ... no idea to where I should move not to get hit.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2020 at 10:59 PM, ukrules said:

Why all the hysteria, the air you breathe on an airliner is filtered way more than most air that you breathe isn't it?

The air that comes fresh in from the outside is filtered. The air from the inside hardly can be.

The smoke triggers smoke alarms. As long as there is smoke, the alarms are on. A new *real fire* won't be noticed. Further more there is danger that some smoke sensors get dirty from tobacco smoke. Worst case they have to be replaced.

• Haha 2

On 1/23/2020 at 7:53 AM, Just Weird said:

No big deal, no one has ever been fined that (maximum) amount or jailed.

No big deal if it has ever or never happened....the deal is that it can happen as it is drafted in the law. Thank you.

Edited by observer90210

Some planes, (Egypt Air I'm looking at you) still have ashtrays built in to the arm rests. Possibly gives some people the wrong idea. Going off on a tangent, in some old local pubs in London you can still find ashtrays in the toilets at the perfect height for when you are taking a dump. Always makes me laugh but must have seemed so normal back then.