Frenchman detained after lighting cigarette mid-flight to Phuket

snoop1130

22 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Vapour can still be inhaled into lungs, and the chemicals in the vapour are an unknown quantity in many instances.

22 hours ago, Enki said:

Vapour: yes.

Dissipate: no. (Why would it?)

I find vaping much worse than smoking as "the new addicts" often do it continuously ... no idea to where I should move not to get hit.

Just get out of their personal space then, being vapour (aerosol actually) it consists of water droplets which quickly fall to the floor.

21 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Just get out of their personal space then, being vapour (aerosol actually) it consists of water droplets which quickly fall to the floor.

And how many dozens of yards should I walk behind vapourerrrers?

When I smell something burning on a plane I immediately get a vision of that idiot shoe bomber who could not get the fuse to ignite. 

As a worse case scenario,  it would also be dangerous if a smoker casually lit one up, started a panic , then  gets himself beaten and subdued by half of the passengers on the plane .  

It is really difficult to be forced to interact with such MORONS.  We need to ultimate IQ test and that number tattooed on their forehead.   What idiot thinks they can smoke on a commercial airline?  Then we get threads of people doing drugs in Thailand......people just don't think things through.  OK, I'm off to Wuhan for a great business opportunity!!!

On 1/22/2020 at 4:29 AM, drbeach said:

Well the international aviation rules banning smoking affect, as far as I'm aware, ALL airlines globally, with the last airlines to ban smoking about 20 years ago, but most having done so around 1993-95 or thereabouts. As far as I can recall, THAI Airways also banned smoking on board around that time; might have been in 95 or 97.

This means this chap, who is of middle eastern origin (I point this out because for whatever reason, people from that region still love smoking, especially men) should have been aware of this rule like everyone else and prepared himself for it.

Getting back to France by way of land from Thailand isn't that difficult. Thailand and France are on the same land mass. He could catch a combination of buses, trains and long-distance taxis through multiple countries to get back. Via Laos, China, Russia and then the EU, or Myanmar, India, Pakistan, Iran and Turkey. Not that complicated - especially for a French passport holder.

Now if he were from the USA or Australia - that might have been a challenge.

It's not a difficult project but it is expensive and time-consuming to travel from Thailand to France via land. 

Possible route:
Bangkok-Nong Khai by train
Nong Khai-Vientiane by bus
Vientiane-Kunming by bus
Kunming-Urumchi by train
Urumchi-Almaty by train
Almaty-Moscow by train
Moscow-Paris by train

It would take at least 11-14 days and cost about 2000 Euro, including visas for China and Russia. Doing the research makes me tempted to do it. But the four days on the same train between Almaty and Moscow... I don't know...

And I'm not sure about the opportunities to smoke during the trip - not interesting for me, but maybe for the Frenchman.