Translation for german driving license needed?

beachrunner

I am living in Chiang Mai. They wanted a translation from the consulate. This needed more time and the price was much higher than making the quick test at the transportation office, what I did in the end.

• Like 1

Most if not all DLT offices will reject the international driving permit that is normally issued in Germany. It's the one based on 1968 convention valid for three years.

Handling at the offices is so inconsistent that you better do a try and ask.

Which office would you go to?

If you find a local translator who does the translation to Thai this might be an

interesting option and not cost a fortune.

If you are lucky they will accept it.

If you are unlucky they will want to send you from "pillar to post" (German consulate, foreign ministry etc.).

In this case follow post #4 (although the theory test seems to have been changed and become more difficult now?).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I just went through the whole process in November.

At least at the DLT in Prakhon Chai, Buriram Province, they did not accept any German International DL. Neither the one from 1968 valid three years, nor the one from 1926 valid one year. They wanted the original German DL translated into English or Thai, which can be done in Germany or close to the Embassy in Bangkok.

Then you have to go to the Embassy to get everything authenticated.

With all these papers you can go to your local DLT.

But as in Thailand you might get lucky with your IDL. I´d suggest you go there first and ask which documents they accept.

Good luck