Anyone used Shelter (like Iglu) for a work permit?

Has anyone used Shelter to obtain a business visa/work permit?

Looks similar to Iglu although with better options for entrepreneurs and remote workers (not just freelancers). Website seems to be missing important information like how much it costs though. I sent them an email a few days ago but haven't heard anything back ????

Yes they do provide something like a  "Smart visa", holder of which does not need a work permit. They also give digital work permits, I think for people who do not qualify for a "Smart visa", the catch is, the fee is very high. Don't quote me on this but around 30 percent of your income. There is also a minimum income requirement they need, which is usually quite high by Thailand standards. Please note I am not informed about the current situation, I inquired a long time ago. You can contact their support staff they are quick to answer queries.

PS i am sorry i read your post again , seems you want to know about Shelter instead of the one i mentioned above.

I looked at Iglu a little more than a year ago when they were still offering what you seem to be looking for. Their current model doesn't look very different from the previous one but the fact that they felt the need to not be as straightforward about it could mean that they got a warning or some difficulties with their previous approach. Assuming it's not just a strategy change, this problem could also concern "shelter" that others mentioned in this thread.

8 minutes ago, Smokegreynblues said:

I think for people who do not qualify for a "Smart visa", the catch is, the fee is very high. Don't quote me on this but around 30 percent of your income. There is also a minimum income requirement they need, which is usually quite high by Thailand standards.

The 'fee; is income tax social security lawyers etc etc etc. 

People have crazy expectations for what Thailand will accept in taxation and legalization. 

I considered it, but thought it was way too expensive. If you're a high earner, 30% is just too much. I believe there should be a maximum amount regardless of income, say 1500 USD per month. A Thailand elite visa is cheaper for long term stay, so this is what I got (~12.500 USD for 5 years)

Point is that the BOI has no restrictions on hiring foreigners with quota's as standard companies (4:1 ratio), as you are formally an employee under that construction.
However, the idea is that over time, the BOI also gets more and more Thai staff, so it somewhat remains in balance + contributes to local workforce.

Iglu abused this and had way more foreigners than Thais, did not show improvement over the years hence they got stopped out. 
To conclude that it is basically only a temporary solution, even if new BOI companies offer similar, you can not be guaranteed on the long run. 

Last but not least, it is very costly as another poster also said. Not really worth the money.

2 hours ago, 3421abc said:

I checked that Iglu service a year ago. More expensive than getting an elite Visa and a lot more hassle. 

That comparison is somewhat unfair, as Iglu's "fee" includes income tax and social security payments. The Elite visa doesn't allow its holder to work in Thailand, so if someone does that and flies under the radar, it's cheaper because they are avoiding / dodging those payments.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:10 AM, ExpatDraco said:

Send them an email some days ago, still didn't receive an answer.

Same, but I just sent them a message on FB and they got back straight away - perhaps an issue with the form on their website preventing emails going through.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 7:42 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Point is that the BOI has no restrictions on hiring foreigners with quota's as standard companies (4:1 ratio), as you are formally an employee under that construction.
However, the idea is that over time, the BOI also gets more and more Thai staff, so it somewhat remains in balance + contributes to local workforce.

Iglu abused this and had way more foreigners than Thais, did not show improvement over the years hence they got stopped out. 
To conclude that it is basically only a temporary solution, even if new BOI companies offer similar, you can not be guaranteed on the long run. 

Last but not least, it is very costly as another poster also said. Not really worth the money.

Replying a little late here, but I'd like to make a slight correction to your post and some other comments. We did not get stopped out due to foreign/Thai employee ratio and Iglu is definitely not "shut down". We remain fully operational. 

Following requests from the BOI, the changes made were related to the contractual models we used to operate with. During a half-year period whilst making the needed changes, we partly ceased hiring new employees in Thailand. Prior to Autumn 2019, we hired employees mainly on freelance-contractor types of employment agreements that consisted of a percentage share from client billing. Iglu took minimal legal responsibility and operated partly without supervision for the work conducted for clients. 

Iglu Thailand continues hiring IT-professionals to work on client projects under a slightly different model. We have implemented the following key changes:

• We no longer operate with freelance contractor type of employment agreements in Thailand.
  • Iglu Thailand focuses on long-term client projects and full-time employment agreements. Our developers and consultants now typically receive a combined fixed base salary and PRP (performance-related pay).
  • A layer of account management has been implemented, for more control and visibility over the projects our employees are working on. 
  • Iglu takes increased responsibility both in terms of employment as well as work conducted for clients both contractually, and in practice. 

As of 2021 we are also expanding into cloud services, which will bring more opportunities for our existing and future employees. 

Archived