Jump to content
BANGKOK
Iandre

Help with first visa

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

I have just booked a one way ticket to Bangkok for November this year

 

My wife & I have *finally* made the decision to ditch and travel. 

 

We have good jobs and by then will have substantial savings and would like the possibility of staying in Thailand as long as possible. 

 

I will be 23 and her 25 when we arrive. We live in London.

 

Am stuck between tourist visa and non immigrant. Ideally we would like to volunteer through an app in exchange for place to stay, food etc 

 

After Thailand we will move on to somewhere else - in process of somewhat planning a route so we have an idea as we are looking to travel for a few years at least

 

What visa do we need to apply for the longest stay and what do we need to prepare for application?

 

Ps - not a moron. Have spent hours reading contradictory information so I'm now making my first ever forum post aha

 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we would ideally do 1 year in Thailand initially before moving forward. Looking to travel most of Asia

 

Struggling to understand what are current visas and what is best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Elite visa.

 

Bt.500k and you can stay 5 years !!

Don mega is right...ELite is the BEST and easy way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wont be able to get an long stay visa. You will have to play the visa game and keep getting tourist visas. You are not allowed to work on a tourist visa.

Trying to work in exchange for meals and place to stay is not going to happen in Thailand, most menial jobs are restricted employment for Thai's only!! (waiter, waitress, cashier, construction work, etc) 

 

If you can work online and have income you'll be ok. You can rent places as cheap as 3000B a month. I think you guys might be able to get 1 year in Thailand before things become really difficult in getting a visa to stay.  Hope you guys enjoy your trip!!! 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do not want to pay up 500k baht for an Elite visa, the only thing for you will be tourist visas. You can both apply for a Multiple entry tourist visa, METV and with that can get up to almost 9 month stay when used the right way. After that, unfortunately, nobody can for sure tell you if there is a possibility to get another visa for stay the full year. It depends on where you will apply for the new visa and what land border crossing you will use. 

I would recommend exempt entry with extension 30 days and a second exempt entry at a friendly land border such as mukdahan-Savannakhet for example or Chong Chom- Osmach in the NE of Thailand.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Education visas a still available? They use to be up to 1 year.....and dosnt have to be learning only Thai. Of course there is the need to actually attend classes so would restrict long duration of travel out of Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If you do not want to pay up 500k baht for an Elite visa, the only thing for you will be tourist visas. You can both apply for a Multiple entry tourist visa, METV and with that can get up to almost 9 month stay when used the right way. After that, unfortunately, nobody can for sure tell you if there is a possibility to get another visa for stay the full year. It depends on where you will apply for the new visa and what land border crossing you will use. 

I would recommend exempt entry with extension 30 days and a second exempt entry at a friendly land border such as mukdahan-Savannakhet for example or Chong Chom- Osmach in the NE of Thailand.

Thanks for the info. 

 

Would you suggest to enter via visa exemption, second exemption at friendly land border then to apply for metv following this?

 

Or to get metv from London embassy before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ericthai said:

You wont be able to get an long stay visa. You will have to play the visa game and keep getting tourist visas. You are not allowed to work on a tourist visa.

Trying to work in exchange for meals and place to stay is not going to happen in Thailand, most menial jobs are restricted employment for Thai's only!! (waiter, waitress, cashier, construction work, etc) 

 

If you can work online and have income you'll be ok. You can rent places as cheap as 3000B a month. I think you guys might be able to get 1 year in Thailand before things become really difficult in getting a visa to stay.  Hope you guys enjoy your trip!!! 

 

 

Thank you, figuring this out..

 

Am trying to wrap my head around the whole visa game. How to start and what steps to take after we are there to maximise the stay

 

My fear is that we would encounter some sort of problem not being able to stay more than initial visa aha. and we really want to have the possibility of staying as close to a year or so as possible 

 

Wow re rent. That's insanely low 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Education visa and elite probably not for us, too much commitment and too much money for the first step in our travels

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iandre said:

Or to get metv from London embassy before?

You can only apply for METV at the embassy in London or one of the honorary consulate in the UK. They can only issued in your home country or a country where you have legal residency.

I would say the METV is the best visa to start with. You can get a total stay in the country of almost 9 months from it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iandre said:

Wow re rent. That's insanely low 

Where do you plan to go and for how long in each place? You are not going to find a house/condo for 3000/month unless you are in rural Thailand or a city slum. However, I am writing this from a hotel in Isaan near the Cambodian border that is 500 baht per day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, I will get slammed for this but reading your above posts you sound very naive. Asking about obtain METV in Asia after arriving visa exempt etc. Volunteering? Was that for accom etc. Doesn't often work that way. There are so many threads on Thaivisa based on how to stay in thailand for under 50 group using tourist visas and visa exempt. 9 months not difficult. 

Other countries such as Vietnam very easy to stay much longer.

You could consider 3 months in los 3 out etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iandre said:

Thanks for the info. 

 

Would you suggest to enter via visa exemption, second exemption at friendly land border then to apply for metv following this?

 

Or to get metv from London embassy before?

I think you do best in getting the METV in London before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai Visa Centre is advertising a 1 year volunteer visa for 35,000 baht:

 

”We are happy to say that for 2020 we can now provide 1 year visa solutions to expats of all ages now.

 

If you are 50 or older we offer ฿14,000 yearly retirement extensions, and if you are younger than 50 years old we can provide a 1 year volunteer visa for ฿35,000.

 

If you know anyone that may be interested in such services we would greatly appreciate it if you could provide them with our contact information. 🙏

 

From their Line

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...