BANGKOK
acenase

Are you still at risk even with a re-entry permit?

Imagine this scenario. Person A has a valid SETV who entered Thailand through the border, because he feared being denied entry and refused entry coming into DMK, decides to travel to another country for a few days on Airasia because of their cheap flights and buys a re-entry permit to keep his SETV alive upon return, would you say he is still at risk for being scrutinized & denied entry at DMK with extensive tourist visa history when he returns? Or does the poor guy need to enter Thailand again through the land border just to be safe...has anyone ever been denied entry after buying and returning with a re-entry permit?

Compared to Person B, who has a valid SETV, BUT... decides to let the SETV die when he travels out and comes back hoping to get stamped in on a free 30 day visa exempt stamp? Are both still at risk or does Person A have a better chance because of his re-entry permit keeping his SETV alive?

I do not understand. He has already been stamped in for 60 days, and you propose leaving with a Re-Entry Permit and returning. He would only be stamped in for the remainder of the 60 days (same date as previous stamp), and I fail to see the benefit.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I do not understand. He has already been stamped in for 60 days, and you propose leaving with a Re-Entry Permit and returning. He would only be stamped in for the remainder of the 60 days (same date as previous stamp), and I fail to see the benefit.

Yes the OP seems a confusing post. However if read all his other posts I think this is his situation. Wants to fly home (think USA) then return with setv. Worried about being denied entry as will enter at Don Mueang with his history.

Think he is asking if flying in with reentry permit after obtaining setv in nearby country is bullet proof. 

Asking for a friend of mine who is entering using an SETV at the land border but has onward travel plans to other counties in the region on Airasia's New Year promotional rates.  History is roughly 3 years. I have yet to see someone write up a report of being denied entry with a re-entry permit, but let's see...

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes the OP seems a confusing post. However if read all his other posts I think this is his situation. Wants to fly home (think USA) then return with setv. Worried about being denied entry as will enter at Don Mueang with his history.

Think he is asking if flying in with reentry permit after obtaining setv in nearby country is bullet proof. 

Sorry to hear you were having trouble understanding my post.  I asked about being scrutinized after entering Thailand again with a re-entry permit.  A lot of my buddies and I travel a lot while in Thailand, we don't just stay dormant for the 60 days of the visa. 

I just returned to Thailand at DMK with no problems after getting a fresh new METV which I applied for in my country of origin, so I can enter/exit land border for up to 9 months.  I think you were assuming I was flying into Thailand with a re-entry permit after obtaining a visa from a nearby country. That's incorrect.  I was just able to respond to your PM after being busy all week. If you have any more questions, just leave it here and I'll try my best to assist you further.

Edited by acenase

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Exactly.  After being stamped in for 60 days at Padang Besar border, so he's good for 60 days. However, in a few weeks we want to get a direct flight to Rome and return back to Bangkok via DMK or BKK. He will still have more than a month left for his SETV, but curious if he would be scrutinized at DMK if he is coming back on a re-entry permit vs. letting the SETV die from leaving Thailand and coming back on a 30 day Visa exemption.

Has there been any reports of someone being denied entry with a re-entry permit, is the million dollar question.

Edited by acenase
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, acenase said:

Exactly.  He got stamped in for 60 days at Padang Besar border, so he's good for 60 days, but in a few weeks we want to go to Rome and return back to Bangkok via DMK.  He will still have more than a month left for his SETV but was curious if he would be scrutinized at DMK if he is coming back on a re-entry permit

I would not expect any more scrutiny that a person coming in on a Visa or Visa Exempt... (possibly slightly less). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, acenase said:

Exactly.  After being stamped in for 60 days at Padang Besar border, so he's good for 60 days. However, in a few weeks we want to get a direct flight to Rome and return back to Bangkok via DMK or BKK. He will still have more than a month left for his SETV, but curious if he would be scrutinized at DMK if he is coming back on a re-entry permit vs. letting the SETV die from leaving Thailand and coming back on a 30 day Visa exemption.

Has there been any reports of someone being denied entry with a re-entry permit, is the million dollar question.

Perhaps apply some logic  to the answer? If a person has previously been granted entry on whatever visa and exits and returns on a re-entry permit would be very unlikely to have  problems if there were none on previous entry. Perhaps the only problem could be if a flag has been put up for reason of reported issues involved in the time in Thailand on original entry?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Perhaps apply some logic  to the answer? If a person has previously been granted entry on whatever visa and exits and returns on a re-entry permit would be very unlikely to have  problems if there were none on previous entry. Perhaps the only problem could be if a flag has been put up for reason of reported issues involved in the time in Thailand on original entry?

Understandable. If we go by logic then we would be saying that if a Thai Consulate approves your Visa application and issues you a new Visa in your passport then you would be guaranteed entry into Thailand without problems. Through land borders, absolutely. But Airports currently have an infamous reputation for arbitrary policies.

Edited by acenase
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, acenase said:

Understandable. If we go by logic then we would be saying that if a Thai Consulate approves your Visa application and issues you a new Visa in your passport then you would be guaranteed entry into Thailand without problems. Through land borders, absolutely. But Airports currently have an infamous reputation for arbitrary policies.

That was not  quite  my attempt in  meaning. Having  been issued a valid Visa in Passport is not a guarantee of entry as has been reported frequently. But if entry is granted that would indicate no initial cause for  refusal was found. Re-entry is a continuation of the eligibility previously accepted. So why would  there be  cause on re -entry to re-examine that eligibility? Other than some reason to flag that persons passport due to some reason while they were exited.

I thought the OP's post was clear, but I can understand some confusion from people looking to read between the lines that which wasn't there.

It seems like there are lots of crazy stories coming from DMK, and they're willing to ignore the fact that someone's been duly issued a visa and deny them entry (despite the IOs at the airport not having appropriate grounds to do so) with the unwritten reason being they don't think the visa should've been issued.

All that said, I think the chances of "Person A" being denied are slim. The person in the scenario is not only granted the visa, but was admitted by IOs on that visa until a set date. They're not getting extra time in Thailand by leaving and returning, and any scrutiny by a DMK/BKK IO would be more than second-guessing--it'd be third-guessing (consulate + previous IO). If IOs started denying people in these circumstances, it'd cross a new line.

Edited by scottiddled
  • Like 2

Re-entry permit is not a guarantee to enter the country. You can be stopped with it same as with any other visa/stamp.

• Like 2